Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

tek 3 vs apexi fc

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 08:54 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tek 3 vs apexi fc

im interested in the group buy at scooby clinic for the tek 3 remap as its on my doorstep, but iv been reading about the apexi fc as well.

can anyone explain a little bit about the differences between the two? and is either better than the other? if so in what way?

im guessing the apexi is a complete ecu replacement, and the tek 3 is a remap of standard ecu?

thanks for any info!
Old 23 March 2005, 09:26 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apexi is a standalone engine management unit, it comes with a base map which is not suitable for sustained UK running due to the fuel grade.
it requires an initial mapping session and then further adjustments to the car will require a tweak to the original map.
You can get FCDataloggit and/or commander and if you are competent you can make minor adjustments yourself.
should you go back to the original mapper for tweaks then I believe its about £50 ish for minor tweaks.

TEK£ is a reflash of the original ECU, you pay for a license to EcuTEK and then the mappers time.

essentially there isnt anything in it between the two at early stages (ie the first map).

Depending on how often you make changes to the car could determine which system you opt for.
I understand that remaps on the TEK3 software are not simple tweaks and that the mapper essentially starts over again, if this is so then it would suggest that remaps take
a) longer
b) more money.

if however you only intend to mod the car and have it mapped once then its much of a muchness, both systems have nice touches.

A good idea would be to ask someone who maps both, errr, Andy.F for instance

Andy (Very happy Apex'i PowerFC/Commander user)

See the "which mapper" thread,.....