Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil Pump - Worth changing at 90k service?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2005, 10:16 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump - Worth changing at 90k service?

My Uk '97 is due it's 90k service. I was planning to have the front crank seal changed while they were in doing the cam belt as I had gathered that they often start to leak around the 90k mark. I was wondering though, do oil pumps wear out ? Would it be a good idea to replace that as well, since the labour will be the same either way. If so, should I go for a standard one, or should I look for one that has had the PRV mod done? if so, where from?.

The car is running full de-cat, Samcos, Sti Panel filter, P.E daughterboard re-map running 1.2 bar if it makes any difference. Using Motul 300v, 15w 50 at the moment, going to change to 10w40 this time.

Anything else to think about doing at the same time in the way of preventative maintainance?
Old 28 February 2005, 10:42 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'd be inclined to take it off - strip it and thoroughly clean it. I doubt it will show wear they usually don't. If it does, change it for a new standard one from Subaru.

If you fit a new one make sure that the rear plate retaining screws are loctited in and check the plunger for burrs , ditto the gears. It'll be fine.

Only ever fitted less than 5 new pumps in 550 plus rebuilds.

Good luck David APi
Old 28 February 2005, 10:50 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
We'd be inclined to take it off - strip it and thoroughly clean it. I doubt it will show wear they usually don't. If it does, change it for a new standard one from Subaru.

If you fit a new one make sure that the rear plate retaining screws are loctited in and check the plunger for burrs , ditto the gears. It'll be fine.

Only ever fitted less than 5 new pumps in 550 plus rebuilds.

Good luck David APi
That's what I wanted to hear - thanks.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps I should strip and clean mine next cambelt change then.. which is due at 190,000miles oil pressure is still good and so i just left it alone when I did the cambelt.. now done 14,000miles since and still (touches wood repeatedly) fine.

I did indeed have the crank seal go at 100k and a camseal went at something like 120k but not changed until 145k when I did the cambelt as I thought it was the cam cover and never had time to change it.. which was lucky as it wasn't leaking
Old 28 February 2005, 07:10 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

your mileage is getting seriously scarey now

is your engine noisey?
Old 28 February 2005, 08:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
your mileage is getting seriously scarey now

is your engine noisey?
no not noisy..

a number things could do with changing.. if I had the spare cash it could do with engine mounts as is rocks a bit more than it should..

starts fine, runs fine.. got 159,200miles on the clock.. I am sharing the mileage with my motorcycle, although it is off the road at the moment.. so should slowly progress by about 15k a year..

It was tappety noisey at 100k when I started servicing it myself, and it was slightly quieter on mobil 1 motorsport.. then tried Motul 300v 15W50 and the tappets went silent and no noise since and I continue to use Motul every 7500miles.

I really need to touch wood... but original wheels bearings, gearbox and engine, suspension, changed the usual (pump, reg, ecu, brakes, fmic, injectors etc..) was running 1.3bar on optimax and the occasional methanol but remapped it on Friday to 95RON and 1.2bar as I am skint.. lol