Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tuning an STI (04 reg)

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 10:45 AM
lozsti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning an STI (04 reg)

I have an o4 plate sti and hate the thought of paying 2k for an exhaust, air filter and chip from prodrive (rip off in my eyes for only 40bhp). If I change the exhaust and air filter on my sti will I notice any difference?? What mods would people suggest?
Old 01 February 2005, 10:54 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

One word springs to mind ........Warranty
Old 01 February 2005, 11:08 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lozsti
I have an o4 plate sti and hate the thought of paying 2k for an exhaust, air filter and chip from prodrive (rip off in my eyes for only 40bhp). If I change the exhaust and air filter on my sti will I notice any difference?? What mods would people suggest?
Bearing in mind firstly you don't loose warranty and secondly that its a complete exhaust (including hi flow cat downpipe), new fuel pump and a remapped ECU all including fitting for 2K, then I think its pretty good.

Shaun
Old 01 February 2005, 11:08 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

PPP also includes an uprated fuel pump and some hosing .Takes a dealer about 4 hours (apparently).
The exhaust includes a high flow sports cat which can be quite pricey I think.
A remap can be as high as £700.

I do agree it does seem steep but I suspect you're paying a bit for keeping the warranty.

added Damn....beaten to it - but seems similar info

Last edited by GrollySTI; 01 February 2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01 February 2005, 11:11 AM
lozsti
Scooby Newbie

but surely you can just put swap the exhaust and airfilter back over when you service it to keep your warranty??
Old 01 February 2005, 11:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you change the exhaust then you will need a re-map ....... Budget £500 for the exhaust and the same again for a re-map. You will then need an uprated fuel pump, say £200 fitted.
You then need to take this on and off at service time......with the hassle associated.

What happens if you breakdown and get the car towed to the dealer??? try explaining the different exhaust???

I think you will find the the £2K suddenly isnt so bad ......

If you dont care about warranty then more avenues are open to you.

Gary
Old 01 February 2005, 11:23 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

but surely you can just put swap the exhaust and airfilter back over when you service it to keep your warranty??
Yeah but there's more than that.......see above.
Old 01 February 2005, 12:08 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

You also have to factor in re sale values as well
Old 01 February 2005, 11:48 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Do what I'm doing...

Get a PPP exhaust (whole lot off eBay for £400)
New PPP fuel pump £85 on here
Tek3 remap £500+vat and I'll claim that back

More BHP (320 to 330?) than PPP for half the price

So long as they don't check the ECU parameters at service time (and why should they?) I'm good

When it comes to 3 years old it'll already have a TEK3 with a licence so I'm good for more tuning

I've looked into it and they can't bounce any warranty claim if they can't prove that the items you fitted caused your problem and lets face it, has anyone had any engine warranty work on an '03-'04 ?
Old 02 February 2005, 12:16 AM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Changing the exhaust & filter wont give the performance gains and particularly the extra torque I think you are looking for, only a re-map will do this, providing a safe increase in boost pressure. Given that you have an 04 STI then a PPP is the only sensible option.
Old 03 February 2005, 01:36 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pogue
Do what I'm doing...

Get a PPP exhaust (whole lot off eBay for £400)
New PPP fuel pump £85 on here
Tek3 remap £500+vat and I'll claim that back

More BHP (320 to 330?) than PPP for half the price

So long as they don't check the ECU parameters at service time (and why should they?) I'm good

When it comes to 3 years old it'll already have a TEK3 with a licence so I'm good for more tuning

I've looked into it and they can't bounce any warranty claim if they can't prove that the items you fitted caused your problem and lets face it, has anyone had any engine warranty work on an '03-'04 ?
We'll thats all very clever, but what happens if it goes bang?
You know that Subaru UK now inspect all engine warranty claims, never mind dealers.
So if as you say you've looked into it and they can't bounce any warranty claim if they can't prove that the items you fitted caused your problem?
Having the TEK3 fitted wouldn't be too hard to prove now would it?

Shaun

Last edited by urban; 03 February 2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03 February 2005, 10:20 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Unless things have changed the PPP Sti kit does not supply a full exhaust, only sportscat downpipe, secondary cat & backbox which leaves the long centre section with resonator box in place.

This means that the exhaust is pretty quiet (too quiet IMHO).

Prodrive do not also mention mpg! Your Scooby will be thirstier than Oliver Reed.

The altve aftermarket route is not covered by warranty but unless you drive with the mechanical sympathy of Colin McRae I wouldn't worry. You can fit an aftermarket exhaust & pnl filter safely and then upgrade the pump with a remap when then funds allow. You can also get approx another 30bhp via this route but the choice is up to the individual.

In my opinion Prodrive parts are vastly overpriced and many quality altve items are available in an ever increasing aftermarket.
Old 03 February 2005, 10:51 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Typical prices from aftermarket suppliers:

Sports cat £450
decat centre section £110
Fuel pump £130
Rear box £250
Remap £650
Labour 4 hrs @ £60 = £240

Total is £1830

Supplied as new parts from Prodrive (they'll have some profit in it) leaves £170 for warranty cover plus profit for Subaru IM.
I can't see the rip-off?

Nick
Old 04 February 2005, 12:51 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Complete de-cat system, 5 inch tail with Flamer on the back, uprated fuel pump and ECUTEK re-map. Cost me the some of £1300, and gives around 330bhp, which is more than enough power, especially once I get the suspension done and some new alloys. As for Mots and services, I use Xtreme Scoobies in Essexx now that my local Subaru dealership in Croydon closed down. They are more than happy to take the de-cat out and put a cat back in for testing purposes etc, and as of yet haven't had any problems with anything on the car. Go the after market route for sure. PPP is all about keeping your warranty, but as long as you go to a place you trust and you know your going to get quality parts, you will not have a problem.
Old 04 February 2005, 01:21 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI @ 21
as long as you go to a place you trust and you know your going to get quality parts, you will not have a problem.
Brilliant advice there then

If you car goes bang, I love to see you take it back to xtreme scoobies or whoever and tell them "Excuse me, but my cars engine has blown up, would you fix it for me for free please".

Shaun
Old 04 February 2005, 02:03 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

most reputable tuners will give warranty-i am very happy with my tsl 333 compared to my ppp which was very juttery on acceleration,the 05 ppp map seems much better,one of my mates told me someone is putting a wr1 ecu into his sti on a chance to preserve his warranty!just because it is a subaru part you cannot fit it to other cars and keep the warranty-much better to get ecutek as even prodrive say the wr1 ecu is at the limit
martin
Old 04 February 2005, 02:14 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
most reputable tuners will give warranty-i am very happy with my tsl 333 compared to my ppp which was very juttery on acceleration,the 05 ppp map seems much better,one of my mates told me someone is putting a wr1 ecu into his sti on a chance to preserve his warranty!just because it is a subaru part you cannot fit it to other cars and keep the warranty-much better to get ecutek as even prodrive say the wr1 ecu is at the limit
martin
Martin,

If you go back to TSL with a blown engine on your car, would they fix it all up free of charge?

Shaun