Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

where can i get air filter for jap import???

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2005, 04:55 PM
reallydontknow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation where can i get air filter for jap import???

Hi,
i have a japanese sti type R on a P plate and want to get an induction kit for it. But am struggling to find a company that will supply one, please help??
Old 29 January 2005, 06:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Try the scoobyshop on here, it should have it listed for your car
Old 29 January 2005, 07:25 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

most of the "big names" have a listing for your car so i can't see the problem??

K&N, Green, HKS, Blitz, etc. will all be able to sort.....................
Old 30 January 2005, 12:35 AM
Glennage
Scooby Regular

Apexi probably the best but remember to give it and/or any induction kit plenty of cold air or you risk engine sucking in hot air which will end up negating any gain!
Also bear in mind that it may make engine run too lean at higher speeds with potentially v expensive consequenses.
There's loads of differing opinions but unless you have a ecu which can be mapped probably best advice to get a higher flow replacement such as 'Green'.
Old 30 January 2005, 10:37 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Proper genuine STi air box/panel air filters seemed to be the best bet, better flow, good cleaning and no risk to MAF or engine. About £40 IIRC.
Old 31 January 2005, 11:03 PM
reallydontknow
Scooby Newbie

so rather than change the panel filter for an induction, you recommend that i just upgrade my panel filter??
Originally Posted by vulnax999
Proper genuine STi air box/panel air filters seemed to be the best bet, better flow, good cleaning and no risk to MAF or engine. About £40 IIRC.
Old 31 January 2005, 11:06 PM
reallydontknow
Scooby Newbie

now your just making me worried. There is a hole that runs from the bumper to inside the engine bay where the filter would sit. Would thi be a substansial air flow intake? And what do you mean by get a gren, is that a type of filter. excuse lack of knowledge!!!
Originally Posted by Glennage
Apexi probably the best but remember to give it and/or any induction kit plenty of cold air or you risk engine sucking in hot air which will end up negating any gain!
Also bear in mind that it may make engine run too lean at higher speeds with potentially v expensive consequenses.
There's loads of differing opinions but unless you have a ecu which can be mapped probably best advice to get a higher flow replacement such as 'Green'.
Old 01 February 2005, 01:55 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reallydontknow
so rather than change the panel filter for an induction, you recommend that i just upgrade my panel filter??
Yes, by far the safest bet is to replace the panel filter, it's really pretty good on Imprezas and you are likely to get no improvement and several problems from changing it for an induction kit.

The main problem with induction kits is that the filter is in the engine bay, and not far from the turbo, and just above the exhaust, so it gets hot. Having the engine breathing hot air is definately not good for performance, or resistance to knock (that's why we spend lots of money on better intercoolers after all). This can be fixed by buiding a box out of sheet metal which encloses the air filter and insulates it from the heat. You set the box up so that it gets fed with cold air from the hole into the inner wing where the stock system comes through. I believe it can also help to remove the bonnet seal on the front edge above the drivers side headlight, again to get more air in. If you are prepared to do these things you may ba able to get a performance improvement from an induction kit.

Be careful though, as the improved breathing at high revs can cause the engine to run lean, leading to knock and detonation (particularly as you have an import - use run it on Optimax AND octane booster right ?) which can quite quickly lead to a big bill for an engine rebuild. Obviously, if you get the car re-mapped the mapper can take advantage of the improved breathing to get more performance by mapping the fueling to the air flow, so if you are looking at getting a re-map it is probably more worth while to do the induction.
Old 14 February 2005, 10:29 AM
Scooby_PL
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by vulnax999
The Apexi Power Intake should be worth trying either.
It's a dry type (MAF-safe) cone filter with great flow and good cleaning. At least that's what the tests say.
But it will be more than £40...

I'm waiting for reply from japanparts.com because Apexi doesn't tell which version suits a MY99 Turbo. Maybe one of you guys can tell me that...?