Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2005, 06:24 AM
uk95scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re Map or Chip or ???

hi,

i have a MY98 (97-98 Model)

I think ive done all i can (please tell me if i havent) am i ready for a remap ?

Full Ninja Exhaust Turbo back decat
Walbro 255 fuel pump
K & N induction kit
Electronic Boost Valve

I think its ready for a remap but cant find anyone to do it ... ive got about £700 to spend on getting it done but no one can help ...

I was concidering getting the Apexi Power Fc & Commander ... Its this just a plug in and go ecu or would it need setting up ? could i set it up or is there anyone that could set it up for me ?

Has anyone got one for sale ?

Any help please guys would be great .... Thanks
Old 27 January 2005, 08:24 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Andy F supplies and fits Apexi Power Fc's. Think they are around £750 + plus travel. (He lives in Scotland I think) Many people on here can vouch for his good work. Keep an eye out for him!
Old 27 January 2005, 09:07 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk95scooby
hi,

i have a MY98 (97-98 Model)

I think ive done all i can (please tell me if i havent) am i ready for a remap ?

Full Ninja Exhaust Turbo back decat
Walbro 255 fuel pump
K & N induction kit
Electronic Boost Valve

I think its ready for a remap but cant find anyone to do it ... ive got about £700 to spend on getting it done but no one can help ...

I was concidering getting the Apexi Power Fc & Commander ... Its this just a plug in and go ecu or would it need setting up ? could i set it up or is there anyone that could set it up for me ?

Has anyone got one for sale ?

Any help please guys would be great .... Thanks
Before getting a re-map I would personally look into boxing your K&N in from the engine bay and spend some time sorting air flow to it from the wing so that it is breathing cold air from outside not warm air from the engine bay. Other wise you are kind of defeating the point of having an intercooler by having it take in hot air and you can end up worse off than if you'd stuck with the std system. This will really pay off when you do come to re-map. You could also usefully look at getting Samco turbo / intercooler hoses to allow the air better. Other things to do would be to look into oil catch cans and consider up-rating you intercooling, possibly just by fitting a tilt kit to the intercooler and a splitter in the scoop or maybe considering the possibilities of more effective intercoolers from later year Sti's All of this could be done quite cheaply and would make a difference, more so when you do progress to re-mapping.

Also, if you don't already have them then a Knocklink would be considered almost essential and some form of AFR meter would be very useful.

When you do go for re-mapping Andy F. would be my choice.
Old 27 January 2005, 10:38 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

There's LOADS more you can do before a remap.

But it depends on how much you want to spend/how far you want to go.

What about bigger turbos? injectors? intercoolers? lightened pullies? inlet hoses, headers and uppipe etc. etc?

If you don't plan on doing much more then a remap is a good idea to round off your mods and Andy is the man (did my 97 UK)

But if you want to do more, then a remap now is a waste of time as you'll have to keep remapping for your later mods which will obvioulsy cost you a lot more.

Stick with the standard ECU as far as you can and round off your mods with a remap at or near to the end.

As Avalanche says, a Knocklink and AFR meter are pretty much essential in my opinion on a heavily modded vehicle.

If you want to look at the spec of my MY97UK for ideas, look on

www.jap-innovations.co.uk in the "features" section and then in the "cars" subsection. Look under Nick's MY97.

Rich
Old 27 January 2005, 02:13 PM
uk95scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys ... all i want is a bit more torque im not going to go to mad on spending more money... my last scooby MY95 uk turbo fell so much quicker that this one is now and all i had put on was a scooby ecu chip (what a difference with that on)

Thanks for the ideas but getting a knock link etc fitting in Birmingham is near on impossible ... guess if i want these things done im going to have to travel ...

thanks again