WRX Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 08:36 PM
oakey100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Mods

Hi Guys

I have a 54 WRX, and was thinking of doing some basic mods. Can I add a better backbox (say Scoobysport) and a new panel filter without having to have it re-mapped? I have heard that anything else apart from a backbox will screw up the ecu, is this true?

Will these mods make a noticable difference to sound and acceleration?

Cheers
Old 10 December 2004, 08:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok,
First things first, i take it the car is an import (eu type)?
As if you tinker about with a UK WRX your just going to invalidate your warranty (which you will do with the EU car also).
If your not fussed about not having a warranty, then yes, a panel filter (dry type), exhaust, poss full decat and remap are the way to give you more power, though, for the ammount you will spend, you may have well been able to afford an STi which is just better

Tony
Old 10 December 2004, 11:12 PM
preacha
Scooby Regular

Wink Maybe...

Better still stick on a prodrive ppp backbox - plenty sold on here.

Then do the sneaky remap... (biggest improvement)

You will notice a great improvement (and the remap is not apparent to dealers, and the prodrive backbox is dealer frendly too)

Should get you a realistic 250 horses

Back box and filter might add 10 hp at the absolute maximum
Old 10 December 2004, 11:16 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Backbox and panel filter will work fine without a remap. Yes, it will give a very noticeable difference to sound. Acceleration wise, not a masive difference, it will run a bit cleaner/harder at higher revs particularly. You can change the whole exhaust without screwing up the ECU, but the ECU light will come on to tell you the cats aren't working efficiently.

If it's a UK car and warranty is a worry, either prodrive backbox or full PPP (effectively backbox, centre decat and re-map ECU - but pricey), and prodrive bits are the only warranty friendly option

Have heard much about Tony's talents - he must have some amazing negotiation skills if he can upgrade a 54WRX to a 54STi for ~£300 Until pigs fly, I'd suggest ignoring his pointless comment about the STi
Old 10 December 2004, 11:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hades
Have heard much about Tony's talents - he must have some amazing negotiation skills if he can upgrade a 54WRX to a 54STi for ~£300 Until pigs fly, I'd suggest ignoring his pointless comment about the STi
Those MY04 STi's go for bargain prices nowerdays (subaru uk have one in maidenhead, 1k on the clock, 21995!!)
But if you wanted to upgrade in the first place, the STi was and is a better starting point.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 10 December 2004 at 11:31 PM.