Diff problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2004, 12:25 PM
pim555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff problems ?

Hi,

I am experiencing problems under slow speed cornering when the engine is warm (no probs whatsoever when the oil temp is low). The car feels like one of the wheels is locking up. There are no abnormal noises. The slower you drive the more noticable it becomes. It does this cornering in both directions. Driving straight out does resolve it. When cornering backwards (parking), I sometimes hear a loud clonking sound from the back.

My car is a MY99 with standard diffs (no DCCD). I had it looked at by the dealer who checked wheel bearings, jonts, etc. No issues there. According to him, he can only diagnose by taking the gearbox, visco and/or rear diff out. Does anyone have experienced similar problems before and/or has an idea how to diagnose properly ?

Thanks,
Pim.
Old 30 October 2004, 01:29 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pim555
Hi,

I am experiencing problems under slow speed cornering when the engine is warm (no probs whatsoever when the oil temp is low). The car feels like one of the wheels is locking up. There are no abnormal noises. The slower you drive the more noticable it becomes. It does this cornering in both directions. Driving straight out does resolve it. When cornering backwards (parking), I sometimes hear a loud clonking sound from the back.

My car is a MY99 with standard diffs (no DCCD). I had it looked at by the dealer who checked wheel bearings, jonts, etc. No issues there. According to him, he can only diagnose by taking the gearbox, visco and/or rear diff out. Does anyone have experienced similar problems before and/or has an idea how to diagnose properly ?

Thanks,
Pim.
Hi i have a MY99 i bought it 1 year ago from a dealer, it had similar problems with noises and it seemed to lock up when going reverse for a parking, 1 day i was putting it in for a park turned wheels and reversed a loud bang appered from the back it sounded like i had bumped into somthing i thought at first then going home @ night after work ratteling noices came from the gearbox/diff, i took it imidietly to the dealer and he kept it for a week telling me the rear diff had smashed, they fixed it for free because i came 2 weeks after i bought it

sounds like your rear diff. is about to have the same experience as mine did, make them check rear diff is my advice before it takes the gearbox with it

i live in denmark btw and my rear diff is standard

cheers

Reggie
Old 30 October 2004, 02:31 PM
pim555
Scooby Newbie

Reggie,

Thanks for the reply.

Got some more questions:
- Did you have similar problems when cornering in forward direction ?
- Did the locking happen when engine was warm only ?

Thanks,
Pim.
Old 30 October 2004, 03:14 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

yea actually it did when thinking back it was especially when turning wheels all the way over and engaging clutch it kinda stopped also it seemed to slip, something is wrong was my thoughts at the time since i had 2 previos imprezza's

my thought was that it was some teeth missing somewhere in the mecanics of the rear diff/gearbox broken of due to previous owner hard driving it, ofcourse bearing in mind that the cars is 4 years old also

with regards to if it was warm i can say that i used to drive to work and thats a 1 hour drive from where i live and i just go warmp it up and then back down drive way and off to work so coludnt really tell, obviously it was warm when i arriwed to park at work

i was able to drive it afterwards, some not healthy whining sounds comming from rear, the dealer told me it was pretty smashed up, crunched teeth lotsa debris inside, told me it was luck that the gearbox had not been damaged

they fixed it and it goes like a dream now, even though its a older classic no sounds from gearbox box smooth gearshift etc.

a very nice car to drive

Last edited by ReggieMY99; 30 October 2004 at 03:18 PM.