Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Front Diff Questions

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 09:13 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff Questions

What would be the symptons of a wound up diff ? & how far / long could you travel in a impreza with different Diff ratios ?? What would happen ??? (bang i would imagine)

The Impreza (MY94 UK) is full time 4 wheel , If you jack on wheel up it is difficult to turn as it trys to rotate the rear wheels & opposite wheel Etc , Correct ?? if this 1 wheel spun freely with no resistance & did not try to spin the opposite wheel or the rears , would you think you had a diff problem ??

Thanks
V Much

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 27 September 2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:12 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

As standard the front diffs are open so its normal to be able to spin a front wheel on its own.
Old 30 September 2004, 07:14 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DuncanG
As standard the front diffs are open so its normal to be able to spin a front wheel on its own.
Well, Had two identical imprezas on lifts , Mine & another, Spinning both front wheels together (left & right hand , Arms stretched underneath the car) & somebody holdong the back wheels on my car , Only the fronts spun, No resistance at all, Same on the other car & the person holding the back wheels, could not hold them, They would spin out of his hands !!!!! So defo think i have a front diff problem

Dean
Old 30 September 2004, 08:24 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

You've a centre diff problem. Or just maybe your centre viscous coupled diff has been replaced by a Cusco tarmac 35:65 rear biased diff which is open (no LSD effect).

My first answer was wrong. Even with an open front diff there should be resistance to spinning one front wheel. If both fronts are off the ground and you spin one front the opposite one will tend to spin in the opposite way. If the rears are held stationary the centre diff should resist both fronts turning in the same direction. The centre viscous coupling (or plated LSD if you have one) is there to try and keep the front and rear wheels turning wheels turning at the same rate.
Old 02 October 2004, 12:50 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DuncanG
You've a centre diff problem. Or just maybe your centre viscous coupled diff has been replaced by a Cusco tarmac 35:65 rear biased diff which is open (no LSD effect).

My first answer was wrong. Even with an open front diff there should be resistance to spinning one front wheel. If both fronts are off the ground and you spin one front the opposite one will tend to spin in the opposite way. If the rears are held stationary the centre diff should resist both fronts turning in the same direction. The centre viscous coupling (or plated LSD if you have one) is there to try and keep the front and rear wheels turning wheels turning at the same rate.
Duncan,

I was defo under the impression i had a front diff prob, as on my old box resistance was there, Spinning 1 wheel with both fronts off the ground , does not turn the opposite wheel in the opposite direction !!! I think the horrible vibration / shuddering (like driving on four wheels without tyres) that happend on the M40 was something giving up the ghost big time, So i think it puts pay to the Cusco diff Shame

DEan