Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MISSION TD05 COMPLETE!

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 10:14 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MISSION TD05 COMPLETE!

Well ive finally got a TD05 in my 1996 classic wagon! Wow it was a lot of work though. Ever since I decided to keep the car (because I couldn’t sell it for the money I wanted) I made it my goal to get a TD05 fitted. I wanted to try and get back the wow factor I soon lost with the standard ECU and TD04. Even the power I got from a MBC wasn’t enough. If I was gonna keep it, I wanted to make it worth keeping.

It feels like an eternity since then, Its taken a long time to acquire the knowledge from fellow Scooby netters and buy the turbo and necessary chip. (VOS chip was my choice)

When I got the turbo I honestly thought I would have it fitted in one day. It has ended up taking almost two weeks to fit:

Day 1. Saturday - Stripped the car back to turbo - no problems. Took the first two bolts out of the down pipe - no problem.
After this it all went down hill! I just couldn't get the 3 remaining pins out of the down pipe. Having spent all day trying I eventually put my back out. Ouch!
I have since been in agony with it and have actually had two days off work because of it.
Day 2 Sunday - Decided to leave it - In great pain and not helping my back I put the bolts back in the TD04 and put the car back together.
Day 3 Monday - Contacted local garage and asked if they would complete the job - they said they would and estimated it to be about 3-4 hours work. However I would have to wait until the following Monday.
Day 10 am Monday - Took car in for td 05 to be fitted. Seriously excited now!
Day 10 pm - Phone call from garage to say there is a problem - there is a bespoke clamp missing off the TD05 holding the two halves together.
Tried to use clamp from TD04 but it was too small. Gutted!
Called Mark (chap I brought the turbo off) and explained the problem. He understood the part in question and luckily had one at home - said it would be with me Wednesday. (Thanks Mark - you were very helpful and speedy in your response - a great guy!)
Day 12 Wednesday - Garage receives part and completes job.
When I picked the car up I could tell by the chaps eyes that the job had been a bit*h (looks can kill)
He had originally quoted me 3 - 4 hours to complete the job but had actually spent a full days worth of labour on it in the end. Luckily he only charged £141 and that included new gaskets and fresh antifreeze.
He had actually had to burn the bolts off in the end! They were really seized.
I gave him 150 for his efforts so he could get himself a couple of well earned pints after work.
I then drove the car home steadily (well kind of) and then reset the ECU.
Then I took car out again and gradually gave it some. - car was seriously over boosting though. (I had this problem with the TD04 + VOS chip which after fitting MBC actually worked brilliantly if anyone is thinking of getting a VOS for their WRX wagon with TD04 and MBC).
So it was back on with the MBC and away with the three port solenoid.
I have now set the boost manually to 16 psi in 5th. Car is now running sweet.
End result? - Well my back is still sore and I now have to fill out a sickness form for the boss and catch up with my work load.
The car you ask? - Well the pull I feel is almost similar to what I had with the TD04 VOS and MBC set to 14-15psi (brilliant spool up and loads of low down grunt)
but it now pulls all the way up to 6500 rpms and holds the boost for a lot, lot longer. Turbo does kick in later as I would expect but the car does feel quicker in terms of 0-60 (as the power is held for longer)
Although I had extracted about 260 bhp with the TD04 VOS and MBC it just would not hold it for long at all and tailed off quickly past 4500 rpm
Its much easier to drive the car off the turbo now with the TD05 and then use the power when I want - although I did enjoy the TD04 as well cos I could put my foot down in any gear and it would go straight away.
I spose to summarise the car holds power for longer and thus will now provide faster 0-60 times and yes I prefer the TD05 as the car is even more fun to drive and cos the bug is gone!

So, very happy - will continue to tweek the MBC later. Would recommend the TD05 but im not sure it is worth a bad back!
Not sure about the VOS - for some reason I experienced real boost problems with TD04 and TD05 but with MBC its fine and at least now the car is mapped for UK fuel (this is the only advantage I can see over the Z4 ECU) I dare say the power the Z4 provides is very similar (260 compared to 270 from the vos) Even if it is slightly down on power I bet 0-60 times would be the same.
I would be just as happy with a Z4 and optimax (im not just saying that for you Rupert – you know what I mean) and would feel probably feel safer (the car I mean)

Finally I would like to say thanks to Mark and Rupert and any other fellow Scoobynetters who have helped me achieve my goal. Thanks.

Think ill stop looking for more power now - next upgrade would be a newer motor - a newer Scoob of course!

Andy

P.S don’t quote me on the any of the bhp figures as they are just simply based on what I have learnt/heard/been quoted.
Old 16 September 2004, 11:12 AM
PARTS4U
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi andy its mark !!
glad its all worked out ok for you mate

now all ive got to do is get the tdo5 sorted for my 00uk
Old 16 September 2004, 05:54 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Glad you got it sorted at last.

I think the TD04 gives you good acceleration low down but then you just want more as it tails off (almost like a turbo diesel but a lot more powerful), whereas the TD05 gives you that feeling of accelerating harder and harder to the redline which is a much more sporty feel.

I hope you are happy with it.

Rupert
Old 16 September 2004, 11:25 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

My mission is still not really complete.

See:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=362641

Could be useful, I reckon Vulnax could be helpful from the sounds of it
Old 17 September 2004, 10:22 AM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade to MY00PPP Decat Centre.
Im stuck with the TD04 which is very good but as you mention does drop off higher up the rev range

Would love to know how much it cost for parts & labour.

Thanks Ashley
Old 17 September 2004, 11:27 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

175 for the turbo (looks like its been rec coned at some stage - so i dropped on there)
141 to fit inc gaskets and new coolant.
80 for second hand chip - will cost a lot more to chip your motor though cos its a uk and later model year
Old 17 September 2004, 12:08 PM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
175 for the turbo (looks like its been rec coned at some stage - so i dropped on there)
141 to fit inc gaskets and new coolant.
80 for second hand chip - will cost a lot more to chip your motor though cos its a uk and later model year
Many Thanks will bear that in mind. Enjoy M8