Someone Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 09:29 AM
turbo_monkey_racer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone Help Please

Hello,

I have an MY95 WRX - Jap Import. It's got a de-cat downpipe from RCM and centre and rear section from an unknown japanese manufacturer. It also has a pace FMIC [i know, i know] and a HKS airfilter.

The modifications were fitted and the car performed fine with them no problems at all. I had the car serviced and now the car appears to misfire/boost cut/similar from 5000rpm upwards. If you back off it goes away, if you change gear it goes away, sometimes it doesn't do it. In fifth i get a little miss as i go from part to full throttle.

If you keep your foot in it when it begins to miss, the RPM's flick to 0 and car decellerates very suddenly [obviously very bad].

Any idea what this could be?

I want to change the ECU on the car - and i want an Apexi PowerFC from AndyF but hasn't got any and goes on holiday on the 10th of september. I can only think a remap will sort it out but as far as i know you can't do this on an MY95 ECU. I don't want to spend mega money on GEMS or MOTEC as this is an everyday car and i have no plans to tune it any more. I do have a DTA P8PRO in a box downstairs - but i just want to drop my car off and pick it up done..... anyone know who can do this?
Old 01 September 2004, 10:00 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Check your spark plugs if its just been serviced, gaps could be wrong, or none existent if caught whilst putting the plugs back.

When were the coil packs changed?
Old 01 September 2004, 02:30 PM
turbo_monkey_racer
Scooby Newbie

I haven't changed the coil packs since i owned the car and I can see that they'd have been done before.

It's done just over 50K mi. I did wonder if this was the problem - I took it back once it'd been done and they changed the plugs to a different type -7 or something.
Old 01 September 2004, 02:34 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

PFR7's, would set at 0.6mm gaps

I would guess at Coil packs if the plugs have been changed since.
Old 01 September 2004, 03:40 PM
turbo_monkey_racer
Scooby Newbie

I have a spare set so i guess i could change them over and see if it makes the difference.

:-(

Originally Posted by P20SPD
PFR7's, would set at 0.6mm gaps

I would guess at Coil packs if the plugs have been changed since.
Old 01 September 2004, 04:15 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

yeh definately sounds like a spark plug &/or coil pack problem
Had similar probs, the more you push the car the more it holds back etc.
Ended up being both, worn coil packs and crap plugs. Got meself blitz iridiums and 4 new packs. Problem solved runs sweet.

also note, the more mods you add for power the more the problem occurs! mine was fine standard and occured more & more the more i modded her (took me awhile to grasp the plug & c/pack problem!)

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 01 September 2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02 September 2004, 10:59 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by turbo_monkey_racer
Hello,

I want to change the ECU on the car - and i want an Apexi PowerFC from AndyF but hasn't got any and goes on holiday on the 10th of september. I can only think a remap will sort it out but as far as i know you can't do this on an MY95 ECU. I don't want to spend mega money on GEMS or MOTEC as this is an everyday car and i have no plans to tune it any more. I do have a DTA P8PRO in a box downstairs - but i just want to drop my car off and pick it up done..... anyone know who can do this?

Give Matt from the Racing line a ring on 07976261518 he's fitted loads of DTA's. Drop it off and pick it back up