Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox failure symptoms confirmed...what next???

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 07:04 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gearbox failure symptoms confirmed...what next???

Crunched 2nd gear about 3 weeks ago on a spirited drive out after which gearlever felt very "knotchy". No whining or anything but became difficult to engage secong gear.

Last Sunday decided to take her out for a drive as it's the only time I get due to work commitments and noticed a faint ticking/rattling sound from near the gearbox and as I drove off...In 2nd there was a clunking sound emitting every 3-4secs constantly.

On indle, The ticking/rattling noise can be heard but when the clutch is dipped and the load taken off the gearbox,it stops.

Had it provisionally diagnosed as brocken teeth on 2nd gear.

I know for a fact that my 4th gear synchro has gone as it crunches everytime when changing gear and the clutch also needs replacing.

In light of this and wanting to keep the costs reasonable, what options do I have??

Have posted on the wanted for a Type R gearbox and enquired with API who can supply me with a donar gearbox from a low mile JDM for around £700.

Is this a good price..and are there any pitfalls to fitting a used gearbox like this??

also, any other sources to try??

All opinions much appriciated.
Old 21 July 2004, 08:07 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBNOV
Crunched 2nd gear about 3 weeks ago on a spirited drive out after which gearlever felt very "knotchy". No whining or anything but became difficult to engage secong gear.

Last Sunday decided to take her out for a drive as it's the only time I get due to work commitments and noticed a faint ticking/rattling sound from near the gearbox and as I drove off...In 2nd there was a clunking sound emitting every 3-4secs constantly.

On indle, The ticking/rattling noise can be heard but when the clutch is dipped and the load taken off the gearbox,it stops.

Had it provisionally diagnosed as brocken teeth on 2nd gear.

I know for a fact that my 4th gear synchro has gone as it crunches everytime when changing gear and the clutch also needs replacing.

In light of this and wanting to keep the costs reasonable, what options do I have??

Have posted on the wanted for a Type R gearbox and enquired with API who can supply me with a donar gearbox from a low mile JDM for around £700.

Is this a good price..and are there any pitfalls to fitting a used gearbox like this??

also, any other sources to try??

All opinions much appriciated.
anybody?????
Old 21 July 2004, 10:30 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Haven't posted on here for a while, but in the past..have had a pretty decent response to any questions asked...whats up this time!!!

need some advice from all my fellow scooby owners.

cheers!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 July 2004, 11:01 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

hey mate

yeh sounds like it could be on its last legs afaik but im no expert.
But just a check.... you looked at your gearbox fluid level?

As for gearboxes try "grade-a" subaru dismantlers they supposed to be ok and have a look on here using the search there should be a few to try.

I paid 900 for a standard clutch kit and full recon box on my 93wrx import and touch would not had a single prob even from the clutch.

Hope it helps a bit!

Tim

(oh and i think.... as for fitment and quiries etc the peeps 'in the know how' might need to know bout your car.... what type and year etc)

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 21 July 2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 21 July 2004, 11:19 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

A little desperate for an answer! One of the few pitfalls of swapping gearboxes is ensuring that the final drive ratio is the same as what you take out or it will be mismatched to your current rear diff as the front diff is housed internally within the gearbox. If you change the rear diff with the box,you can choose what final drive you want. I know I will probably get shot down on this next section but; JDM RA g/box approx 18-19mph per 1000rpm (brilliant acceleleration, pathetic top end and poor fuel consumption), standard JDM g/box approx 21-22 mph per 1000rpm(a good compromise but a little tiring at motorway speeds), UK spec box approx 24-25mph per 1000rpm (far more civilised but really needs at least 250BHP to make it good fun acceleration). Now for the next copout, I have a Legacy GT-B with JDM g/box that went all the way to 7500 rpm in fifth, gearbox didn't mind but No.2 conrod came to visit me through the block a little while later when slowing down, so I now have a new engine and UK spec g/box being installed, so I have a JDM g/box and rear diff for sale at a good deal less than what you have been quoted. Hope some of this info helps

Craig
Old 21 July 2004, 11:35 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Just my personal opinion, mate, but when it comes to gearboxes, NOBODY really knows for sure. Certainly pretty much every gearbox to be put in a scoob is a fairly fragile item: they can be damaged by driving them too aggressively on the standard car, let alone upping the torque etc etc etc

Certainly, the JDM items seem to have a little more longevity than the UK models, the Type-Rs and the RAs seeming to be the strongest of the lot.
But what everyone seems to be finding with gearboxes is that there is no real definitive answer for a sensible price.

You can go for an aftermarket gearset, maybe in a 6-speed casing (the strongest of the lot) and it'll be a lot of money. The only surrefire solution is the WRC gearbox (from prodrive?) but you'll be needing to get a mortgage to afford it.
Old 22 July 2004, 07:11 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have all been there, not just Scoobys but all car can suffer. Wrecked 2 transmissions in my 911.....

A type R or Sti box and matching diff (essential) is a very good half way house for a road car. The early RA boxes are ballistic, but 30 mins on a long run becomes very tiring, and 80/90 mph is rediculous.
The post 1997 boxes are strong, have a nice short shift to them and can be found in Snet for about £500/600 with rear diff if you are lucky.
The latest 6 speeders are strong but much heavier than the 5 speeder and not just a bolt-in.

The advantage of API is that it will come with some kind of warranty. David there is arrow straight, no tricks there.

If I were in your shoes I would go for the Type R box with diff, but do remember, people buy Type R's and Sti's to go quickly, so condition may be suspect.

I have done the RA box in my Sti and found it to be a slower car in competition circumstances (hill climbs) and so can say I've actually done some of this swopping!

Fit an AP organic clutch while you are there.

Changing the trans over (with the rear diff) is a real labour of a job, fraught with pitfalls to the newcommer so consider this aspect too.

Good luck,
Old 24 July 2004, 09:07 AM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry guy's..I was not too clear in the first post, the car is an STI Type R ver 5 my99.

I do try and check the gearbox oil level regularly and it seems to be fine. If I am to be perfectly honest, I think the box may have been on it's way out before I bought the car last November as I sourced it from S.Net and later found out the prev owner had ran it at Santa Pod a few times!! (good this search facility is).

My "enthusiastic driving has clearly aggravated the problem resulting in the current state of the box so I suppose I am partly to blame.....but what the hell.....these cars are "drivers" cars and meant to be driven!!

The thing is....when you enjoy a car such as the Type r as much as i do... the thought of shelling out for a replacment box is not to bad, I can honestly say....I have never driven another performance car with quite the same "close" feel to the box.....Its awsome, although long motorway journey's are a pain!!

I have made enquiries with Grade A subaru/Glenburgie/Central Subaru and API and so far...API seems to be coming out the most competative @ £600 + VAT for a replacement as apose to Grade A who qouted £1150 +VAT....why such a difference...for a Type R Box out of a low mile JDM??

Do you guy's think this is a good deal? David seems to be highly recommended on S.Net and I'm thinkin of calling him today to get some advice.

Car already had an AP Organic clutch in it and I found this great, but it's almost worn out so will have to replace it for a new one.

All advice much appriciated guy's, This is the Scobynet I like! a wealth of information from fellow enthusiasts at you fingertips.

Just out of interest.....How much do you think it would cost to re-build the box with a new gear set, and are there any aftermarket gear set options? i have heard the name "Lateral Performance" mentioned on here for these??

Cheers!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 July 2004, 03:38 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Our boy Money knows a bit about Lateral Performance. Might be worth giving him a bell.
Old 27 July 2004, 09:59 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Wink

will do rich....txt me his no. if you have it mate.

how was sunday??? hope you had a blast!
Old 27 July 2004, 10:21 PM
Scooby Regular

For a road car, and one to sell later, I would stick with the 'API' box job. David won't screw you.
Gear sets are very ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ and dog boxes can be tiresome.
If you want a good nice strong box ask API about a 6 speeder conversion. He has some in stock.
Old 28 July 2004, 07:57 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

thanks mate.
Old 28 July 2004, 11:02 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Scoobnov, pm'd you my mobile mate. Give me a ring before you buy
Old 30 July 2004, 09:52 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Nice talkin to ya pal...some good idea's comin from a man in the know....hope you enjoyed your 20 course greek special LOL!!!

Will leave it in your capable hands to rustle up a few options for the gearbox fix...will liase with the "Top guy's down at AnG, Cullen Way, Pk Royal" (plug intended!!)on getting the box out.

speak to you next week.

cheers.