Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whats a knock sensor..?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2004, 12:41 AM
kicked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a knock sensor..?

Ok, i admit i have no idea...but whats a knock sensor and what does it do? I had a blitz induction kit put on about 2 month ago, and have read that a lot of you guys wouldn't touch with a barge pole, so i am gonna find out how much it costs to put a normal thingy back on (anyone for a newish blitz ind. kit???) but very very soon after having the kit on i kept getting 'check engine' come up. when i give it a good go bing, up it appears. Had it checked and the diagnostic was coming up as a knock sensor. Would the induction kit be fecking this up as to what i believe??
Old 06 July 2004, 01:46 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The Knock Sensor is a type microphone that is mounted to the block and listens for a specific frequency band of noise generated when the engine is Detonating.
It is unlikely that the addition of the Blitz Induction Kit would cause problems with the Knock Sensor - Induction kits are generally associated with MAF related problems.
What MY is the car?

Cheers
Old 06 July 2004, 02:19 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

possible, as the Blitz filter will alter the airflow, the mixture may have become too lean. This causes detonation and the knock sensor may be picking up (or not picking up) pre-detonation. The ECU may be complaining either way about the knock sensor being at fault when its really the mixed air flow reading.

The stock airbox isnt too bad at all if you ask me.
Old 06 July 2004, 12:35 PM
kicked
Scooby Regular

its a series mcrae '95. how much is a stock airbox and also how much roughly are panel filters if you have any idea???
Old 14 July 2004, 08:46 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Its more than likely the knock sensor itself is faulty if the ECU is producing a CEL with a diagnostic code - The MAF sensors on the earlier models are more resilient to induction kits.

as the Blitz filter will alter the airflow, the mixture may have become too lean
The airflow may have changed but the MAF sensor measures the amount of air passing through the inlet tract so it is unlikely the AFR has gone lean.

The Stock airbox is good with a STi panel fitted

Cheers