Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

General Question on DET.

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2004, 10:49 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General Question on DET.

Im a bit concerned about what causes DET.

I plan to fit a complete exhaust sytem, probably a fast flow system with sports backbox but i am NOT going to get it de-cat.
Also going to fit some form of panel filter.

Just going to do the above 2 mods to start with aswell as body styling to a MY01 bugeye.

Would i have to worry about DET ?
What causes DET ?

Cheers.

Sorry if this has been asked many times but this is one area thats a bit grey to me, i kind of understand it but i kind of dont.

Marc.
Old 10 June 2004, 11:07 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My DET is usually cause by spending too much money.. lol

Seriously.. DET is mostly caused by lean running.. the mods you talk about should be fine.. but I'd recommend decat rather than sports cats. The MY01 is also mappable so you can fit your mods and get it mapped to ensure there is no det.. for a remap you should speak to Pat@22b.com or bob at www.brdevelopments.com

Simon

Last edited by Jolly Green Monster; 10 June 2004 at 11:08 AM. Reason: To correct Bobs website address
Old 11 June 2004, 08:07 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

....I've done exactly this (plus remap) to my MY02 WRX, with no det problems.
TSL Sportscat downpipe, decat centre, GrpN Backbox, Scoobysport uppipe.
You may also want to consider an uprated fuel pump if you're worried about running lean.

DaveR
Old 11 June 2004, 11:25 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

JGM,

Sorry mate, but I would have thought any mods to the exhaust system involving removing cats are going to increase the chances of DET.

In your own words you described DET as "lean running", so as soon as you start de-restricting the exhaust, the turbo will spool up quicker, hense the chances of DET increases.

Dave
Having a re-map partly (if not totally) removes this threat, because the ecu is re-programmed to expect this improved flow, and increase fueling accordingly, and if DET still occurs they can "cap" the advance at a safe level.

I only changed my downpipe and experienced DET. To re-map was the only solution (short of putting the original back on).
Old 12 June 2004, 10:57 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock ECU will be more than capable of dealing with a Zaust and filter change.

Scoobies generally run rich anyway, when I had mine remapped it gave me better MPG than as standard. I asked them to program an economy map in while off boost (motorway driving etc).

Cheers

Neal
Old 12 June 2004, 11:44 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

I initially only changed the uppipe/downpipe, and experienced transitional det ( during 4th, 5th gearchanges on WOT ). If you've no way of checking ( knocklink, det cans ), assume you have det and drive accordingly until you know otherwise, it's the only safe way. To be fair, this is on my MY00, don't imagine there to be much difference though.