Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 01:05 AM
DimitrisSti8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding a PPP STI v8

Hi guys,

My car is a 2004 impreza Sti.

I am considering the PPP option and I would like to ask what would happen if i install the following on a PPP?

Short-ram intake (possibly blitz super sonic)
gruppe-s ot gt-spec unequal headers.
3 inch Catless dowpipe
Nur spec cat back
Greddy type s BOV
SLightly larger turbo (which one i am not sure yet)
Silicon hoses

So basically I will only keep the prodrive fuel pump and ECU. I wouldnt like to ECUTEK my car because I dont know many subaru owners that have done this in Greece. So consider that the only way to remap my ECU is the PPP.

Will the PPP ECU software work with these mods or will i destroy my engine?
What HP figure will I be looking at?

Also does prodrive offer any other more ''aggressive'' remaps such as the WR1 or T25 except the PPP one?

thank you for your help
Old 21 May 2004, 02:17 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

You won't get the best out of it if you don't get a custom re-map. Changing the turbo IMHO is a bad idea if you're not going to sort out the boost and map to suit. The rest of your list also will not benifit properly if your car is not correctly mapped for them.

If you want to ppp it, dont make any further mods (cat back wont see you far wrong i suppose). Otherwise if you want to make all those mods it should really be mapped to suit.

Dave.
Old 21 May 2004, 02:53 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DimitrisSti8
My car is a 2004 impreza Sti.
Lol, in which case you'd better change your username quick, as your car is an STi version 10, not an "STi8".

I am considering the PPP option and I would like to ask what would happen if i install the following on a PPP?
A lot of things, most of which won't do your car any good unfortunately. First thing to mention is that you will invalidate the warranty, so if any sh*t starts hitting any fans, you won't have any backup beyond your own wallet.

Short-ram intake (possibly blitz super sonic)
There is no point switching to a cone filter on a new age car unless you are going for appreciably in excess of 350bhp and will be getting a custom remap.

gruppe-s ot gt-spec unequal headers.
Again, you will need a remap to get the best out of these. If you go for aftermarket headers the design also needs to be matched to your chosen turbo and desired power delivery for optimum results. If you simply bung on a random set of tubular headers and don't map around them, you can quite easily end up losing both power and torque.

Greddy type s BOV
Is this thing a vent to atmosphere or a recirculating type? If it's the former, your engine will run better on the standard valve. If the latter, again it's not worth changing until/unless you find the standard part can't cope with your desired boost level.

SLightly larger turbo (which one i am not sure yet)
You should decide where you want to go with this before settling any of your other choices, as the desired power level and type of power delivery influences your turbo choice, and your turbo choice influences other components in the chain.

So basically I will only keep the prodrive fuel pump and ECU. I wouldnt like to ECUTEK my car because I dont know many subaru owners that have done this in Greece.
You're going to have to either get it EcuTeKed, or buy a third party ECU and have that custom mapped, because neither the standard nor the PPP ECU's will run a configuration of this sort correctly.

Will the PPP ECU software work with these mods or will i destroy my engine?
No and quite probably.

What HP figure will I be looking at?
Er, that kinda depends on what turbo you choose, doesn't it? Asking us a "how much power" question before you've even settled on the turbo is very much putting the cart before the horse.

Also does prodrive offer any other more ''aggressive'' remaps such as the WR1 or T25 except the PPP one?
No. The WR1's map is the WR1's map, and the Type 25 is nothing to do with Prodrive, it is developed by Power Engineering. In any case, that map is designed for that car's particular (2.5) engine/header/turbo/exhaust setup, you couldn't take a T25 (or indeed a WR1) ECU out, bung it into another car with a different engine configuration, and expect it all to work properly.

thank you for your help
Think you need to go back to the drawing board with this one. It looks, frankly, like you went through some parts catalogue and created a wish list almost at random. You've done things the wrong way round by picking things like the headers and dumpvalve before you've even decided what turbo you want. You can only decide what turbo you want after you know how much power you want, and how much money you have to spend on the entire job.

There is certainly no point buying the PPP if your immediate intention is to make significant modifications to the powertrain of the car. You will need a custom remap to cope with the sort of configuration you're talking about. Whether it's an EcuTek of your existig ECU, or a third party programmable product is something you also need to consider.

You will also need to design whatever configuration you decide on in the context that it will be used in a Grecian climate, yet it's noticeable you haven't specified an uprated intercooler in your list of bits. You need to think about what's the car is going to do rather than just pick parts at random.

To be blunt, if you've not long had the car, probably the best thing to do is leave it as-is for the time being and learn to drive the power it's got properly. You'll also get much more of an idea of what bits and pieces it really needs.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 21 May 2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 21 May 2004, 04:06 AM
lenny b
Scooby Regular

Wink hope your still awake chap.

Do you live in the midlands.
Old 21 May 2004, 02:58 PM
DimitrisSti8
Scooby Regular

thanks for your reply. i appreciate your help