Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What next for more performance on slightly modded MY00 ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 02:31 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next for more performance on slightly modded MY00 ?

I have a MY00 with a full de-cat [ H&S downpipe, Magnex centre & backbox ] + a TEK2 + STI Panel filter. Just wondered what else I could do to gain some more performance without spending a lot of money !
Anyone got any ideas ? Or does it just get expensive from now on !!
Old 19 May 2004, 05:27 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know what it's boosting to? 18psi is about the most the TD04 can handle, but you'll need a fuel cut defender if you go that high. You'll also definitely need a Knocklink (and obviously boost gauge, and an AFR gauge is always a good idea). A GBE/Dawes/etc manual boost controller will up your boost for you for very little money. And make sure you only run Optimax or Esso SUL. You might get away without the need for octane booster. Your Knocklink will help you decide that though...

Samco intercooler hoses are cheap and cheerful, and also a good idea at that boost. Their efficiency may also increase your boost by 1psi (did on mine anyway) so be a good idea to fit them before fiddling with your MBC.

Also, NGK PFR7B spark plugs. Again, at that boost, and with the Tek2, much better idea than the stock 6s.

The only other cheapy is porting your exhaust headers. I'm currently contemplating it. Supposedly helps low down pulling capability.

Other than those, yes, it does get expensive...!
Old 20 May 2004, 08:35 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already have a TEK2 then I would suggest a new turbo. Either a TD05FE, VF22, VF24, VF28 or VF34. They all have their pro's and con's depending whether you want lots of top end power or more power in general accross the rev range.

Personally I would go for a VF24 (VF28 is similar) which still gives good spool, but will also give more power (you can pick them up quite cheap too).

The Standard 440cc injectors will work well and the TEK2 can be remapped to suite. You should see about 310 - 320 BHP

Oh! u may also need an uprated fuel pump (about £80) but I think the MY99/00 pump may be able to cope.