Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What this?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 08:41 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What this?

This may sound stupid but can anyone tell me what the black box that sits in the induction side between the maf and the turbo is and what it's for? I've noticed that one of the pipes that connects to it has broken off (the small one under main one coming from the maf side). With this off will it still be ok to use the car? (although i won't be using it hard until i fix it). Any info would be great.

Cheers Johnny.
Old 29 March 2004, 09:06 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

That sounds like the intake resonator and the pipe which has broken off is the bleed return from the boost control solenoid on the assumption that it is a pre-97 scoob? The pipe being off is unlikely to inhibit the boost control but a hole in the resonator will cause unmetered (After MAF) air to enter the induction tract which may cause AFR problems depending how big the hole in the resonator is.

Cheers
Old 30 March 2004, 08:01 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8, it's a my96 sti2, the afr is reading rich constantly and i'm not losing boost, a new resonator box methinks. Oh if you change to samco's does it do away with the resonator box? If so what happens with the boost solenoid return?
Old 31 March 2004, 12:25 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the Samco kit will not do away with resonator box - if the hole is small the air entering unmetered may be insignificant but not ideal.

Cheers
Old 31 March 2004, 01:19 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Delboy2
AFAIK the Samco kit will not do away with resonator box - if the hole is small the air entering unmetered may be insignificant but not ideal.

Cheers
Nah, the samco's don't go near this bit, unless you bought the samco induction pipe and I don't know if there is one for this year; what you need is an MRT induction pipe, about £50, or else araldite the hole up.

By the way, it shouldn't make the fuel rich, it would be weak if unmetered air was getting in thru the hole after the MAF.
Old 31 March 2004, 07:18 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks, the hole doesn't seem to be affecting the car although i will fix it.