Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Down & Up-pipes, Cats & De-cats - Help

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 01:15 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down & Up-pipes, Cats & De-cats - Help

I have a UK MY99 which suddenly started blowing from the exhaust down and to the left of the turbo. I was told it was a manifold gasket on the lower left side of the engine which was replaced for £50 today.

However, it did NOT stop the blow!! It is blowing higher up near the turbo and they cannot see or get to it without dismantling things. If you look to the left of the turbo, leave it idling for a while and fblip the throttle you get a puff of smoke rising from the left of the turbo into your face!

The dealer say there's a risk of snapping bolts which may complicate things and do not have the necessary parts anyway so did not look into it too much.

I have an HKS exhaust from a big fat cat on the front underside of my car going to the back of the car. I presume this is the centre cat (but is nearer the fron than the centre) and the hks system must have replaced a smaller one somewhere nearer the back or middle.

Does anyone have pictures showing where the up-pipe, down pipe, manifolds, 3 cats etc all are or can someone describe where and what they are so I can picture whats going on ?

Where does the 1st cat nearest the turbo sit ?

Where is my blow and puff of smoke likely to be coming from using the correct terminology ?

Can I get a pipe to go from the turbo to the 2nd cat, bi-passing the 1st cat nearest the turbo and leaving the middle (2nd) cat to deal with emmisions ?

Cheers for any info...MKC

Last edited by MKC; 25 March 2004 at 01:15 PM. Reason: WANT TO BE E-MAILED WITH REPLIES
Old 25 March 2004, 01:32 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Your first and only cat (if you have an HKS exhaust) is the one after the turbo.

There is no cat before the turbo. It's just a catless uppipe.

Sounds like the gasket between uppipe and turbo has gone. It's not to much of a drama to change especially on a fairly newish car. Even if the studs snap they can just be drilled out retapped and new studs used. It's a pain when it happens but it's still doable.

Rich
Old 25 March 2004, 01:44 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

As Rich says, there is no cat in the up-pipe, but it does have a flexible coupling which is prone to cracking. Repair means changing the pipe whjich is a pig. Could it be where the down-pipe joins the turbo? This is quite easy to see with the heatshield off. The up-pipe bolts to the bottom of the turbo.

Graham
Old 25 March 2004, 02:00 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

How easy would it be for me to remove the heat shield myself
with a set of QVC cheapy tools !! Any special tools required ?

Is it easy to identify what the heat shield is and what bolts to undo ?
Can I remove the wrong bolt, or if I snap one will I have problems ?

Its strange the dealer did not attempt to remove
the shield and have a look if its that easy.

Sorry for so many more questions.

Thanks,

MKC

Last edited by MKC; 25 March 2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 25 March 2004, 07:48 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Five 10mm bolts on the turbo heatshield if I remember rightly, and they usually seem to come out OK. Plus gas first is always wise.

Graham
Old 26 March 2004, 03:37 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Default Turbo and Exhaust Layouts/Diagrams

I have had a better look (but do not know how to remove the heat shield).

Standing looking at the turbo from the front of the bonnet, the blowing appears to be comming from the lower front left of the turbo. I was able to lower the volume of the sound of the blow by putting my wet cloth wrapped hand into the gap, down about 6 inches from where the pipes and stuff are that can be seem.

I PRESUME that the down pipe is the bit at the back of the turbo under a foot and a half long shield thing that curves down behind the turbo and off to the back of the car some where.

Does anyone have a picture (up the right way) which shows the exhaust pipes etc and how they feed into the turbo ? Is the up-pipe in the place I have described above...Help...
Old 26 March 2004, 07:02 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

I have a turbo, full system & upipe back at base, mail me & I'll take a picture of it all together (be tomorrow morning though now)
Old 29 March 2004, 09:36 AM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Cheers. Ive just sent you a mail message.

MKC
Old 29 March 2004, 10:08 AM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Thanks to Knowlesy for mailing me the photos...MKC