COILPACK PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2004, 11:14 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question COILPACK PROBLEM

Hello all...

Apparently I have a potential coilpack problem as diagnosed by our good friends at 'Prosport'. I remember reading a thread a long while ago about how good Bosch coilpacks were. I mentioned this to Peter at 'Prosport' and asked if they needed replacing if he could get some Bosch ones for me. He said that the ones I have on my 1992 Legacy Turbo are the same as what 'Prodrive' use and that they would know what is best for the cars and hence they are the best to use rather than Bosch. Now don't get me wrong I certainly trust Peter's opinion and what he says certainly makes sense. I'm just wondering if any of u guys have any comments or input on the standard coilpacks and alternatives. At the end of the day if they need replacing I might as well get better ones if I can.

Also, Iridium spark plugs are they any good...I am running higher boost level on my car and have heard that if your car is tuned they are a better alternative. Which are best HKS, Blitz or NGK?

Thanks in advance

Aaquil
Old 17 March 2004, 10:02 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aquil,

I have 3 known good Legacy coilpacks going spare. I also fitted an impreza one but you have to cut the space off the mounting hole, then fit with a slightly smaller diameter one and 6mm bolt instead of impreza 8mm (impreza one has 1 8mm bolt, legacy has 2 6mm ones).

Anyway if you want to buy the 3 coil packs I can pass them on for say £45 posted. They were working on my car running up to 17psi on the standard turbo. Only 3 as one cracked, hence I ran with an impreza one for a few 1000 miles.

Bosch are no better, just much cheaper than new Subaru ones.

Paul
Old 17 March 2004, 01:41 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pavlo
Aquil,

I have 3 known good Legacy coilpacks going spare. I also fitted an impreza one but you have to cut the space off the mounting hole, then fit with a slightly smaller diameter one and 6mm bolt instead of impreza 8mm (impreza one has 1 8mm bolt, legacy has 2 6mm ones).

Anyway if you want to buy the 3 coil packs I can pass them on for say £45 posted. They were working on my car running up to 17psi on the standard turbo. Only 3 as one cracked, hence I ran with an impreza one for a few 1000 miles.

Bosch are no better, just much cheaper than new Subaru ones.

Paul
Paul

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply and offer. I have to see if it is the coilpacks or sparkplugs yet. Peter at Prosport only suggested that the lumpy idle etc. was due to one of the two (or both?). If the coilpacks are the problem I might get back to you.

Thanks

Aaquil