Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY98 ECU Swap / ECU Reset Required ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2004, 06:49 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY98 ECU Swap / ECU Reset Required ?

OK guys I'm getting some conflicting reports, so has anyone done the following and what was the result.

I have a Uk Turbo 2000 MY98.

I am planning to fit a PPP ECU to it (2nd hand). Now I have had conflicting reports of whether I will need to get an ECU reset (by a select monitor device) in order to get the car to start with the ECU.

Now - who can tell me from experience with an MY98 car, whether this is the case of not ?

As extra info, I know my car is a true MY98, and when the immobilser unit failed last year it had to be replaced along with the keys - which implies microchipped car keys? (which cost £36 each :Q)

Failing this I'm just going to have to slap it in to try, and if it doesn't work, get someone with a select monitor to fit it.
Old 05 March 2004, 07:23 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 99's and 00's are just a plug and play ecu, so I would have thought the 98 would be the same, you shouldn't need to reset, cos it will have been disconnected for long enough to blank it's memory anyway!
Old 05 March 2004, 11:05 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RON
The 99's and 00's are just a plug and play ecu, so I would have thought the 98 would be the same, you shouldn't need to reset, cos it will have been disconnected for long enough to blank it's memory anyway!
MY99 onward ECU is completely different to everything that came before, and can be reprogrammed with ECUTEK. MY98 cannot be ECUTEK.

MY98 is an odd ball. Upto MY97 various people can tune them, then MY99 onwards ECUTEK, but MY98 is in no mans land. Either Piggyback or replace, no reprogramme option possible.
Old 06 March 2004, 05:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Whats all that got to do with what I said??

The fact that the ecu will have been disconnected for more than 1 hour will have blanked any errors in the memory, and I'm convinced that the immobiliser has nothing to do with the ecu, so, just remove one, and plug the other in!
Old 06 March 2004, 09:08 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

An MY98 PPP ECU will work in a standard MY98, but I think you will need to get your dealer to recode the immobiliser. Which is internal to the ECU on the MY97/98.

The MY99/00 has a seperate box for the standard engine immobiliser, hence why the ECU can be swapped without this problem

Last edited by Scott.T; 06 March 2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07 March 2004, 10:42 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

RON, your reply was only conjecture and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, hence the reply that you received. I already had at least the same knowledge level that you were offering, and simply offered some further clarification in respect of the basic differences between MY98 and MY99/00 ECU's that you appeared not to know - thus trying to help you improve your level of knowledge in return for your effort.

However, returning to my original query, this is why I asked for input specifically from people who had done this change before as I have had opinions from several people, some of who offer the opinion that plug and play will work, but more that offer the opinion that an ECU/Immobiliser sync will be required.

Last edited by Scratch; 07 March 2004 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07 March 2004, 10:48 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Thanks Scott T. you can join the larger list of opinion that it will need to visit someone with a select monitor in order to get it to work.
Old 22 March 2004, 10:30 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

In order to bring this thread to a definite conclusion.

The PPP ECU is now fitted (as of Friday) and it most defintiely required a key reset to reprogramme the ECU/immobiliser combination so that the car would run.

Prior to this the car started but only ran for a few seconds as the fuel pump failed to start, and the check engine light flashed as soon as the car started.

So there we go, a bit of info to be found using the search engine (when it's eventually working)
Old 23 March 2004, 06:57 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scratch
In order to bring this thread to a definite conclusion.

The PPP ECU is now fitted (as of Friday) and it most defintiely required a key reset to reprogramme the ECU/immobiliser combination so that the car would run.

Prior to this the car started but only ran for a few seconds as the fuel pump failed to start, and the check engine light flashed as soon as the car started.

So there we go, a bit of info to be found using the search engine (when it's eventually working)
Which is exactly what I told you in my e-mail to you (on 4th March), based on what happened to me when I fitted mine !!!!
Enjoy !
See you Sunday !
Stan
Old 23 March 2004, 08:31 PM
RiSKy
Scooby Regular

lol Stan
Old 05 April 2004, 09:11 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Yes Stan I know you told me so, but it is always wise to listen to more than 1 opinion I find. Now go to the top of the class, give me my pointy hat and I'll go sit in the corner.