Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

W R Sport back box

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2004, 09:38 AM
Stig2
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile W R Sport back box

I want to buy a replacement back box for my MY03 wagon. I do not want to loose warranty, but niether can I be bothered to keep swapping boxes, when it goes back for work at the dealer. Has anyone fitted one, and is there a noticeable sound difference. I want as much noise as poss, but dont want to go prodrive route, as I am not a 'boy racer'.
Thanks
Old 21 February 2004, 10:46 AM
Manners
Scooby Regular

Not sure but i think the wr back box is prodrive, subaru do a sport muffler that looks like the sti back box but dont know what it sounds like.
Old 21 February 2004, 11:11 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stig2
Has anyone fitted one, and is there a noticeable sound difference.Thanks
Stig2, i have one on my MY99 (UK) which was fitted when i bought it last November. It's oval and looks much nicer than the standard twin pea-shooter exhaust which is standard fitment.

It sounds really nice, boomy but not too deep. A bit noisy when you open it up (which is good ), but not too bad parking up outside your house at night. Haven't had any complaints from the neighbours so far!
Old 21 February 2004, 01:08 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

The vast majority of dealers won't worry if you've changed the back box. It's only when you decat most will tell you to get lost.

I've had a scoobysport back box on my P1 for a couple of years now, and have never had any problems getting it serviced / warranty claims etc.

Chris
Old 22 February 2004, 10:37 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

I've a WR Sport BB fitted to my Sti8. Overall it is good, but tooo quiet..for me that is. It does sound suitably fruity on full chat, so I'm told.

Mines will be up for sale once the insurance is up, as my current broker will not touch anything other than dealer fit. Afterburner...here I come!!
Old 23 February 2004, 10:59 AM
Stig2
Scooby Newbie

I can get a 'cat back' magnex with oval pipe fitted for £225, and with the insurance extra, still brings me well under the £350 wanted by dealers for the W R sport back box. I really am undecided now, the dealers I have spoken with, all said that they would take each claim as it comes, e.g brakes would not be exhaust related etc. So I am now swayed by the magnex I think. I used to own a V8 Rangerover with air suspension, and working underneath it was childs play compared to the scooby.
Has anyone got a magnex cat back system fitted? Looking at other threads, it appears that wagons are noisey inside the car with replacement exhausts, I test drove a MY01 wagon with prodrive, and did think it was noisey inside, but never heard it from outside so cant comment on whether you could hear the flat four rumble or not. It definately didn't sound as sweet as I was expecting it to.
Thanks to the people that have replied. Daz