Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

FAO Scoobyboy

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2001, 12:02 PM
dc911
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Scooby boy just wondered if you could clear up what is going on with my gearbox.

If i am accelerating in say fourth and i need to stop therefore pressing the clutch sometimes the gearstick will stick solid in gear and the only way to get it out of gear is either to bang the gearstick or double pump the clutch? Also if i am doing a standing start when i go for second the clutch pedal will stay near the floor and it seems as though the gearbox gets really tight and hard to select gears?

Any ideas with at least the first querie as it seems to happen alot.

Cheers

Darren 22B uk
Old 05 October 2001, 07:12 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

iv seen some gearboxes though not 22bs where the selector fork has bent causing difficulty to select gears and then broke which means no gears but is ur clutch ok if you have been doin standing starts you may have worn it out and it might be dragging.
when the car is switched off can you select gears normally if you cant then you might have a definate problem with the gearbox.
Old 05 October 2001, 09:03 PM
dc911
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for replying scoobyboy.

I did have a problem with the clutch but i have had a new ap twin plate. The gearbox was dodgy before the clutch and it still is dodgy.

What do you think?
Old 06 October 2001, 09:37 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

When you had the AP clutch fitted, did they remove the assister spring from the pedal?

If they didn't, the pedal will not return properly with an AP twin plate.
Old 06 October 2001, 06:01 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

defo sounds as though you have a problem with the gearboxif it's still under warranty push for a new one as the price for rebuilding yours is going to be more expensive than the cost of a new 1.

does it feel very notchy going in and out of gears iv had some gearboxes where the machining tolerances are a bit out and the hubs twist slightly making it go in and out of gears on the **** .