Powerflow Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2001, 03:40 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I posted this question a while ago, but hoping to get some more comments.

I'm thinking of having a Powerflow satinless steel back box and de-cat centre section fitted to my UK MY95. I'm looking for a good sound, plus some performace increase (hence the centre section).

So, some questions

1. Has anyone else had this make fitted?
2. How loud is it inside/outside? I don't want anything too booming or intrusive inside the car. I'm looking for a nice burbly sound
3. Any comments on quality?
4. Any comments on performace gain (if any)?

Cheers
Old 01 October 2001, 03:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bazil2582 (I think that is right) (has posted recently in the ICE section) had one fitted to his 1.6LX - full system. It is MUCH louder than my Turbo with Falkland DP, PPP with PPP centre and rear section. Why not email him and see what he thinks.
Old 01 October 2001, 04:31 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

alright,

john was correct in telling you i do have a powerflow system on my car.

my problem was i have a 1.6lx scooby 1995 cos im only 19. cos it aint the turbo, i cant fit the magnex oval exhaust to my car as its a diff diameter. so i went down to sports car services in cairneyhill and asked if they could custom make one for my car.

so i have a full exhaust system with oval tailpipe and it cost me £289 including vat i think. about £300 anyway.
when i was choosing the tailpipe i wanted, the guy asked me how loud i wanted it. i wanted quite loud because the top scoobies have a loud grunt to them and a turbo makes no grunt at all. you can have it louder than mine but i wouldnt to be honest. everyone has told me that u can hear my car coming which is the way i want it.

by the sounds of your post, you would want urs quieter than mine. i doubt that would be a problem.

as for performance, you would have to ask the garage as i dont know exactly what it does to the performance of the car and how much gain u would get.

but, i would def recommend it. i have not heard a scooby that sounds better than mine. as john will tell you, my car has the noise of the big boys, but sadly not the performance!!!

where do you live??

hope that has helped a bit. email me back if u have any probs or questions. let me know what u decide and how u get on.

cheers.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nimbus:
<B>Hi all,

I posted this question a while ago, but hoping to get some more comments.

I'm thinking of having a Powerflow satinless steel back box and de-cat centre section fitted to my UK MY95. I'm looking for a good sound, plus some performace increase (hence the centre section).

So, some questions

1. Has anyone else had this make fitted?
2. How loud is it inside/outside? I don't want anything too booming or intrusive inside the car. I'm looking for a nice burbly sound
3. Any comments on quality?
4. Any comments on performace gain (if any)?

Cheers[/quote]

Old 01 October 2001, 04:51 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Bazil,

Thanks for the relpy.

You're right in saying that I want it quieter rather than louder. I was told that they do different tail pipes but was not sure how that would effect the sound (or more importantly loudness). I'm not sure I could get away with a booming boyracer (no offence ) type noise with the wife.

Which tailpipe did you go for?

I live in Leicestershire, so a bit difficult to pop over and take a listen..

Thanks for posting...
Old 01 October 2001, 05:57 PM
KevinH
Scooby Regular

I have a 3inch powerflow system coupled to a scoobymania downpipe on my 97 WRX Wagon. I went to powerflow ( topgear in St Albans ) specifically because I wanted to make the system quieter than other 3" systems I had heard. They build me a system with two silencers rather than the usual one.

I'm quite pleased with the end result, it's got a very deep note, but is no loader than my bike. On the downside it gets a little boomy inside if cruising at around 4000rpm.

If your keeping your standard downpipe a two silencer system in 2.5" pipe will be very quiet, But you should compare the cost with off the shelf items ( you will do well to match the price/quality of the magnex center and backbox ).

Old 01 October 2001, 06:20 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for yor comments. I'm glad to hear that the Powerflow can be made quiter, since this is what I'm after (I'm getting old ). I will need to have a word with the exhaust center to see exactly what options I have regarding building and tailpipes. I'll be getting a good deal there (contact in the trade ), so hopfully it will be cheeper than a Magnex (does Magnex have a website? Does anyone know their prices?).

Edit to say I've found their website..http://www.magnexexhausts.com

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 01 October 2001).]
Old 01 October 2001, 06:32 PM
KevinH
Scooby Regular

Magnex's site is
Old 01 October 2001, 10:47 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

alright,

nae bother mate.

the powerflow comes with 2 or 3 tail pipes from what i was offered. my choice was between a replica of what the turbo has, ie the twin tail pipe or what i wanted the oval.

i went for the oval and its loud!! but the guy said b4 he made it, it is easy to make it quiet just as its as easy to make it louder.
it partly depends on what bore of pipe they use aswell. i think mine is a 2.5inch pipe or maybe a 3 inch joining onto the oval like the magnex but not as wide.

what can i say - i am a young boyracer with a loud exhaust and a car which is beginning to look like the real deal!!!

as for your wife, well its your toy so get her telt!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nimbus:
<B>Bazil,

Thanks for the relpy.

You're right in saying that I want it quieter rather than louder. I was told that they do different tail pipes but was not sure how that would effect the sound (or more importantly loudness). I'm not sure I could get away with a booming boyracer (no offence ) type noise with the wife.

Which tailpipe did you go for?

I live in Leicestershire, so a bit difficult to pop over and take a listen..

Thanks for posting...[/quote]

Old 02 October 2001, 01:22 PM
Keithp
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Nimbus,

I have a powerflow down pipe and centre on a MY2000 uk turbo, it has made a difference in noise, you can hear it coming but the noise level inside the car isnt too bad, I have a magnex backbox (3 1/2 round) and i think this is what is keeping it down a bit, my friend had his scooby wrx down at the same time as mine, with a 4 inch round magnex box it is a lot louder than mine! The garage i went to (turriff tyres) were very helpfull and made a great job of both our cars, I would go for the whole system, it really isnt too loud!! hope this helps,
Old 02 October 2001, 05:18 PM
Pazza
Scooby Newbie

Bazil2582 is your Impreza red? Do you sit up in the 'Boy racers' car park in Dunfermline? (what a bunch of tw@ts the majority of them are). If so do you know someone called Barry Spunkens?

Pazza

[This message has been edited by Pazza (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old 03 October 2001, 01:14 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyones comments. As soon as I get the MOT out of the way I'm going to pop along to the exhaust centre and see what they can do

If I end up not liking it once it's on the car you will probably see it advertised in the "private sales" forum