Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Mods & Fuelig issues????

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2001, 08:45 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Currently I am running my car (MY00) with a de-cat centre section, aftermarket back box and a standard downpipe. On the otherside is an ITG panel filter and I've removed the resonator.

I am looking to get a de-cat Downpipe ASAP ( in the net couple of weeks) and to fit an induction kit also. Following this I am planning to go the Link ECU route (after Christmas I imagine)when I raise the cash.

My question regards my concern about leaning out the fuel if I have a free flowing exhaust & a decent induction kit??? I don't know an awful lot about this, but will I be safe in the interim period (maybe as long as six months) between fitting the breathing mods and upgrading the ECU?

Thanks guys..... H.

Don't supppose a moderator can sort out the topic title for this muppet could they????

[This message has been edited by Houlbt (edited 27 September 2001).]
Old 27 September 2001, 10:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Options -
1. Know that many others have fully decatted a UK car and added induction and have no problems and fueling has been fine on RR and hope your car is the same.

2. Wait until you get the Link before going for the induction kit and consider if you can lose the MAF sensor when you go for the Link so you don't worry about it failing.

3. Get a KnockLink/LamdaLink now as they may be useful anyway when you get your Link done.

Why not discuss your plans with Bob Rawle - he sounds like a very helpful chap?

John (MY00 PPP K&N Falkland DP boost gauge still to get fuelling checked - not overly concerned).
Old 28 September 2001, 09:13 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Thanks John,

I had pretty much decided I should be safe on the fueling side, just wanted a second opinion.

I probably will fit a Lambda & Knock Link earlier than the ECU, because I cannot afford the full Link setup immediately

H. (MY00)
Old 30 September 2001, 06:06 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Question

I have a bog standard MY97 turbo with a K&N induction kit. Just did a dyno test and the operator commented that my air/fuel mixture as indicated by the lambda was on the lean side. Is this a minor effect of the "better" air flow from the K&N kit, or something serious that I should attend to immediately. I thought the ECU and MAF should be able to take all these into account and adjust automatically? BTW, what should a normal lambda reading be like? Is 200 hp at the engine a bit on the low side for this model?

Thanks.
Old 01 October 2001, 08:25 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

See Stephen Done's recent thread on strange results after induction. You will see in there a comment that a car lean on the RR could be much worse on the road. Not everyone's Scooby is rich, and 200bhp is low - possibly because you are lean. See dyno.scoobynet.co.uk but obviously they are different rollers.
Old 01 October 2001, 07:31 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

JB, thanks for the comments. I was under the impression that the ECU mapping will take care of such changes as airflow, but obviously this is not the case. My car has the usual sooty exhaust, but is giving me a consistent 24 mpg in spite of a rather heavy right foot, so it may be running on the lean side. What is the easiest way to correct for leaness short of a re-map? I am using 97 RON fuel all the time, will the lean mixture lead to det and premature engine failure at high rev?

Thanks.
Old 01 October 2001, 10:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Could remove the induction kit and put back on the airbox and see if there is an improvement - best do on the same day on the same RR in the same conditions. Would have thought you should not be running lean on that octane with just an induction kit given that the car can run happily of 95 octane. If you really are running excessively lean because of the induction kit then you will probably increase your power by removing it. Best put it back to standard and get it healthy and then start improving it. Need to know that the MAF sensor is functioning correctly. In short, get the RR guy or someone trusted to sort it out for you.

Can't rule out your last comment if you are running too lean. Need some more detailed info from the RR guy - what revs, how lean, what boost etc etc.
Old 02 October 2001, 04:27 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Yes the link computers you can do away with the MAF sensor. You should look at the new PC Link which allows you to fine tune the car with a laptop while driving etc.

Dan
Old 02 October 2001, 05:29 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Thanks JB. I am afraid the RR results gave no indication of boost pressure on the printouts, may have to check with the operator later. The lambda is consistently around 0.85 to 0.95 from around 3500 to 6500 rpm, then dipping to 0.80 at around 6800 rpm and bounced back to 0.9 again at 7k. What does this mean in plain English?
Regards.