Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Headers and Up Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2001, 09:18 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having had the up pipe off my car to fit an EGT sensor I was amazed at how crudely and roughly it is made. I want to do something about this and at the same time fit ported and flowed headers. Ideally I would like to have this done using an exchange set of headers and have somebody to do it but before I can look for a used set to work on I first need to know

- are all UK model headers the same ?

- if not, are MY98 (phase 1) and MY99 (phase 2) the same ?

- is there an aftermarket up pipe available anywhere ?

Thanks for any help.

Raymond.
Old 18 September 2001, 08:46 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi raymond
why don't you contact falkland performance for that ? i have had mine done there and they have done a very good job with mine. i am going to post some pics on later this week.

what model year do you have ?

sam
MY99
Old 18 September 2001, 09:17 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Raymond, to get the headers done properly, they need to be done on your car.

Dan

Edited Bit: What I meant was, they need to be matched up to your car. They do need to come off the car, but matched to YOUR ports.

Thanks to GOD Sam for pointing out my mistake. All praise Sam.

[This message has been edited by Danny Fisher (edited 19 September 2001).]
Old 18 September 2001, 11:07 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

actually danny, if you need them to be done properly you need to get them off the car and off to an engineering shop. that is what i have done, it is more expensive but the result will be a lot better imho.
Old 19 September 2001, 09:47 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Hi Sam.

I spoke to Alan at Falkland t'other day about this. I want to get a set on an exchange basis so that I can do a straight swap (the easiest option for me) and assumed that they were all more or less the same (given that STi's have different length collectors according to Training WRX) but Alan says no. Apparently he had a set ready for your car but when he came to fit them he discovered that they were different so he had to remove yours and rework them. You have a MY99 and I have a MY98 so I am wondering if the set that Alan already has will fit mine. Other questions that come to mind are things like is a UK supplied car the same as a European import and are they the same as a Japanese import? Alan is trying to get to the bottom of all this and I'm calling him back in a couple of weeks but I'm trying to get some more info in the meantime. I think that there would be a good market for somebody who could supply on an exchange basis but the whole subject is so confusing as usual Having said that I would guess that somebody like David Power must know because he is supplying his own fabricated headers and presumably knows what fits what (now if only I could justify £1K for them but I can't when I have an eye on that VF23... ) but it would be a bit of cheek to phone and ask when I want Falkland to do the job based on the discussion I had with them!! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures because it sounded as if Falkland have done a very thorough job (Alan's comments on the original finish are unrepeatable here )

Raymond.
Old 19 September 2001, 01:42 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i know i have seen at least two different types of manifolds, i would have imagined that one will be phase I and one for phase II. the European and UK are exactly the same, sti i think from MY99 onwards started becoming really really similar.

a good person to ask will be J ( fire fox ) i think he may be able to help as he may have done a couple of different versions.

VF23, excellent choice sir !
Old 19 September 2001, 01:47 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Had mine done yesterday by Awesome Laswon, Up pipe and headers.

MY97 UK 380inj & many other mods

I am only running 0.6bar as I am having link upgrade on Sat, the car was quiter at idle, even more responsive, more torque and keeping the boxer sound. But on the Lambda link on full pedal I was not hitting the high boost lights let alone the the low boost lights and the egt was going up quick to 800c.

Just as well I was runing low boost until I get the map done.

Moe

[This message has been edited by TopCat (edited 19 September 2001).]
Old 19 September 2001, 07:24 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Danny - I knew what you meant!!! No worries there.

Moe - Good job that I've got an AFR meter then....

Sam - Thanks. Maybe J will drop in later and give us the benefit of his wisdom. It would be nice to get this sorted out and it would be useful to others as well.

Raymond
Old 19 September 2001, 10:08 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

The manifold parts were done in a engineering shop, while the turbo up pipe was done by falkland. the original pipe is made of two pipes in each other. what we did with falkland was to weld the area between the two pipes and then smooth them together, therefore smoothing the flow. the idea is this should be better than just chamfering the inside pipe. i hope this helps and makes sense

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 19 September 2001).]
Old 20 September 2001, 07:47 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Sam. That does make sense and the difference is quite an eye opener I'll have to see about getting this done or maybe getting a fabricated set even though they are expensive but I don't want to lose the scooby beat either with the equal length pipework - it's such a part of the car's character. Decisions. decisions.......

Raymond.