Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY00 - More Performance - But cheap !!

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2001, 01:19 PM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Anyone give me some advice on getting more performance out of my MY00. Currently bog-standard spec - but has yet to be left by anything on the road!!
Old 07 September 2001, 01:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean overall progress to improve then advanced driving tuition, geometry +/- bumpsteer, good tyres/17" wheels, brake upgrade - from pads/pads+discs+lines+fluid/to big brake upgrade, suspension - from springs through to fully adjustable kits.

If you mean the engine, then SUL +/- octane booster, induction kit/panel filter, downpipe, centre section and backbox, and ECU remap. Also can do front mounted intercooler, new turbo etc etc.

I so far on MY00 have done tuition, geometry, mintex 1155 pads, K&N induction kit, Falkland downpipe and Prodrive performance pack. Still to do: grooved discs/braided brake lines and DOT5.1 fluid, Toyo Proxes replacement tyres (on original wheels). I am not doing the springs/suspension as I quite like the setup at present. The only real deficiency for me now is wet weather performance - it understeers like a greased pig in the wet (hope that the new tyres will resolve this) with the extra power which I estimate to be around 20% with probably more than that on midrange power/torque.

Beauty of Prodrive Performance Pack is it is the only upgrade that officially preserves your warranty, which may or may not be important to you.
Old 07 September 2001, 02:03 PM
dougal
Scooby Newbie

Bryan,

The exhaust mod is always a good starting point (full system if you can afford it). Even just a back box can generate extra power. Then think about an induction kit.

Cheers,
Dougal
Old 08 September 2001, 08:42 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want midrange go for the £1750 Prodrive Performance Pack which gives 20% improvement in midrange, less lag and preserves your warranty and resale value. If you then add a downpipe to this it will really go. Some folk have dyno'd at 270bhp with this setup, and GaryC I think had 287ish bhp and 293lbft with full exhaust, induction and PPP. However, I am giving you the headline figures here off at least one known "optimistic" Rolling Road. Might be reasonable to expect 265bhp+ with a DP/PPP/induction, which given the slightly lower weight of the UK car is knocking on the door of STi performance and beats it up to 4500rpm on torque. PPP also doesn't usually load insurance too much as officially it takes you from 215bhp to 237bhp (218-240ps) - ie 10%. Whatever the dyno says, it feels a ridiculously quicker car than standard and that is what matters.

I don't think a backbox alone will give you much of what you're after - maybe a few lbft here or there, but there are people that will be more "optimistic". Downpipe may give you a healthy squirt of midrange.
Old 08 September 2001, 10:09 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bryan Allman:
<B>I'm really looking for more mid-range grunt during overtaking (reduced T.E.D) rather than outright speed or improved handling. (As was suggested in the replies I think the handling is perfectly good for road work and never was a fan of hard braking on the road - most of the people behind can't stop in time !!)[/quote]

Bryan, you may *think* the car handles well as standard but that's nothing compared to how much better it can handle for a fairly small outlay. For £100 you should get the bumpsteer mod done which will drastically improve the turn-in and cornering ability of the car , another cheap worthwhile mod is Eibach springs (£130 ) which lower the car and work well with the standard dampers without reducing ride quality. The Anti-Lift Kit is also a worth while mod at about £150. These three things will make the car handle far more predictably and will improve the fun factor many times

Then, I would recommend going down the more power route...

Matt
Old 08 September 2001, 12:53 PM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies. From the tuition point of view, I spent a number of years racing (Karts & saloons) and have done a good number of the 'Performance Driving' courses during that time. I'm really looking for more mid-range grunt during overtaking (reduced T.E.D) rather than outright speed or improved handling. (As was suggested in the replies I think the handling is perfectly good for road work and never was a fan of hard braking on the road - most of the people behind can't stop in time !!) If the Back Box exhaust and Induction kit provide the extra mid-range grunt, then I guess I'll try that.

Much appreciated
Old 08 September 2001, 04:27 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

How much are you planning on spending? few hundred of few thousand? Certainley if your looking for extra grunt i suggest exhaust either with or without downpipe - depends on how fussed you are about warranty/MOT etc. along with a decent filter panel or industion should see you on your way for under £400
Old 08 September 2001, 05:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Bryan, try a back to back drive with a car fitted with a PPP. You'll be amazed.

As you've probably gathered there is no end to the mods you can do to a Scoob, but if you tend to press on a bit, you'll also need to upgrade the brakes. It's the discs that are the problem.

Richard.