Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Baffled Sump?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2001, 01:09 PM
jparkgb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a track day on some slicks. But I found this piece of info on the web:

“Finally and most importantly in my opinion the likelihood of seeing oil starvation on your engine (and gearbox, diff) will be massively increased which could lead to engine failure. With the increased cornering forces the oil in the engine sump will be forced up the outside edge of the engine block and out of the sump where the oil pump pickup pipe is located. This will starve the pump of any oil and your engine bearings will run dry, this only needs to happen for a few seconds to see total engine failure (rod out the side of the block is a good one). If you plan to drive on track with slick tyres an absolute minimum requirement is a baffled sump, ideally you should have the engine converted to a dry sump system to be 100% certain of permanent oil feed. Some modern high performance cars have a baffled sump fitted as standard, if you do plan to use slicks I suggest you do some homework to see if your particular car is safe and has a baffled sump. “

Does the Impreza have a baffled sump?
What is the likelyhood of this happening?
I'm running a UK Spec '99 PPP.

Any insight/advice would be very much appreciated,

James
Old 21 August 2001, 01:48 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Very un-scientific post coming up....

I would have thought that for there to be oil starvation like you said, then for that moment at least, there would be a corresponding severe drop in Oil Pressure. I was a passenger on a very fast lap in a friend's car at Bedford the other week and all I can say is I'm glad he had race harnesses fitted I spent the lap watching the gauges like a hawk to make sure everything was as it should be (the car has just had a fair amount of work and this was the first proper run in anger!!!).

Not once did the oil pressure drop at all from 6 bar which is where it is usually when the engine is revving, even during some quite breathtaking cornering.

I would conclude from this that it is not an issue (on most Scoobs at least) - anybody wish to shoot me down in flames, you're welcome...

Matt