Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport or Magnex backbox?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 12:06 AM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS is louder...

I have a Magnex and want to change it.. the silencer is a lot bigger on the Magnex.. ..

If volume is required go for the SS..

James
Old 13 August 2001, 11:55 AM
Timpreza
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm looking for a reasonably priced good sounding backbox. I was looking for a SS but the Magnex is cheaper. What should I go for? Is there a big difference in sound and volume?
Old 13 August 2001, 04:25 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

how about scoobymania?

just fitted mine. V impressed.
Old 13 August 2001, 05:43 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Magnex on my 93WRX and was very please with it.

Got an SS on my 94UK that I got second hand.

I'll probably get scorched for this, but if I was to do it again, I'd get a Magnex as it's £100 cheaper and the SS has a slight 'fluff....fluff' drone at low revs that can be a bit annoying.

Although I beleive the SS design of the tailpipe has know been extended slightly which may be the solution to this drone.
Old 14 August 2001, 10:52 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got a Magnex BB and it grumbles quite nicely, but isn't too harsh at high revs or on the motorway. I've recently added a de cat Magnex centre section (non resonator)and this made a big difference, even more grumbly now, it sings a sweet note!!!

Total cost 175 quid BB and 56.50 c/p both new
Old 14 August 2001, 01:55 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Likewise.........Mines a Magnex Backbox and centre pipe with Resonator........still grumbles

But doesn't grumble as much as ScoobyJawa....

J
Old 14 August 2001, 01:58 PM
mkk33
Scooby Regular

had a new system fitted last week by jap innovations replacing magnex.

very impressed at the sound. not too loud but enuff to let people know that a scooby is around the corner.
Old 14 August 2001, 05:43 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had the magnex bb and centre section with resonator box great
I just had it serviced and had emmisions test done passed flying colours, co2 limit 0.3 mine 0.01 unburnt petrol limit 200ppm mine 9 go for it!
Old 16 August 2001, 10:46 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Scoobyjawa/Scoobysnack, you two are always grumbling!!!!

I went for the scoobysport and since then have been really impressed with the mid-range performance.
Old 16 August 2001, 10:52 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

I've commented so many times on this subject, here goes again:-

I've got Magnex centre with resonator and back box on my 2000MY turbo, it's stainless, sounds great, not too max power loud, definate increase in performance, lifetime warranty, superb construction and fit and the price is unbeatable.
Go For It

glen
Old 16 August 2001, 11:07 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Disco lol!!

We'll just grumble together Jason

agree with glen - lifetime warranty, stainless, turbo spools up sooner and definate performance difference thro' the gears
Old 16 August 2001, 11:52 AM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

After watching this post, it looks like my vote goes to the Magnex. Power Engineering of Uxbridge do their own at £290. But if the Magnex is £100 (ish) cheaper, sounds good, is SS, improves performance and is used and approved by you lot then all I need to know is who is able to supply me with a BB for a 94 WRX? How much will fitting cost on top?

London area please.

(Just found that PE are approved dealers, going in on Saturday to check out some prices)

Cheers guys.

Al.

[This message has been edited by Al Cook (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 12:53 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the magnex is very popular, is it stainless ? price is bloody resonable too! was looking at s/s an p/e, could e alot of money for nothing, maybe ill go for magnex too. do these mgx b/b and centre pipe improve performance like the others? Thanks Lee
Old 16 August 2001, 01:00 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My Magnex mid and BB (with K&N panel filter) is nocking out 231bhp on a MY96

MB
Old 16 August 2001, 11:04 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Lee

I obtained the following performance improvements after fitting a Magnex BB, Centre Resonator Section and K&N panel filter:
before after
30-70 mph 3rd gear 6.7 6.3 seconds
50-80 4th gear 7.6 7.1
60-80 5th gear 7.9 7.3
50-80 3rd gear 5.1 4.7
30-70 through gears 5.4 5.2

Improvement is between 4 and 9%, which I thought was pretty good.

Alan

Old 17 August 2001, 12:06 AM
bob
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa/
I think you may be right people just don't want the Magnex oval, they all tend to want the round pipe. I think this is because it looks like the SS BB
Lee P/
I was not insinuating you were buying the exhaust to sale. I was trying to point out what good value the SS BB is even thought it cost much more.
If you cannot afford a SS BB then of course buy a Magnex after all it is quite a good replica.
My full SS system and STD air filter is knocking out 291 bhp on a UK MY00 P1 do you think this is to high I don’t about normal for this type of car.
Well thats enough fishing for one day, Bob puts rod away and stips on asbestos suit.

Old 17 August 2001, 01:04 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers alan! that does sound good as the price is resonable! S/S system may sell second hand well but im not buying it to sell, i may get FLAMED for this but 291 bhp with exhaust mods n filter sounds high? im sure STi didnt just chuck a exhaust on there sti 5/6 P1 to get 280bhp? am i wrong? tell if i am. my car is standard, on track icouldnt keep with scoob with full decat magnex system on in a straight line at all, and i dont mind caneing my car! its like armani jeans may sell second hand but next jeans wont, both do same job? Lee
Old 17 August 2001, 01:12 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lemmy (alan) have you got magnex b/b and centre pipe with restr. ? have you heard one without res, and just straight through pipe? is straight through miles more noisy tha res? cheers sorry to drag this one out! Lee
Old 17 August 2001, 09:58 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have the Magnex 6"x4" backbox mated to S/S M/S and S/S D/P.

Before I had the M/S and D/P fitted I went to a rolling road session and heard one particular full S/S system which sounded awesome. This was when I just had the Magnex backbox fitted and at that point began to wish I had got a S/S Backbox.

At a recent Subaru meet I was the first to arrive at the meet so was able to sit down and listen to the exhaust note of the cars arriving. Comparing the S/S systems to mine I did not think there was much in it. Even those with the HKS exhaust were barely more audible than the S/S. I am of course refering to these cars arriving at ~20mph. IMHO this is a good point to listen to the exhaust note as a lot of people crave that flat four rumble and when caning the car this tends to get less distinctive.

I have read previous threads and tend to agree that the loudness of the exhaust depends on the moisture that has found its way into the exhaust. On warm days my car's exhaust gets quite a few pops when trundling down a hill. On other occasions I will notice that it seems extremely quiet to the point where you would think the full standard system was in place.

Anyway I think thats enough of me rabbling on!

Damian.

Old 17 August 2001, 10:37 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Maybe the reason it was hard to sell was because it was an Oval - not quite so much demand perhaps (flame suit zipped right up!! )

I have a Mag BB and centre non resonator and ScoobySnack as the same but with resonator. My car is louder than his but not a great deal. I find it makes a nice note but it isn't too intrusive at high revs/speed so its quite nice really
Old 17 August 2001, 12:44 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Sold my 6X4 Magnex BB some time back, got £50 for it. Do you think anyone wanted it, could not give the thing away here in the SW.
Thanks for taking it of my hands Scoop. As I remember I had to deliver as well and that was £40 worth of fuel. So I only got a tenner for it in the end.
I could however get £200 for a SS BB anytime, says it all really.
My full SS system and STD air filter is knocking out 291 bhp on a UK MY00
Old 17 August 2001, 01:39 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 17 August 2001, 02:33 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Talking

We meet again Scoobysnack...
I have recently purchased a Magnex BB (3 1/2 round) and a Magnex centre without resonator.
It now sounds great but without being intrusive at speed like Scoobyjawa says.
As these two cost only about £270 together I couldn't justify the extra just for a Scoobysport BB. Save some dosh and go for the Magnex.
Old 17 August 2001, 03:51 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Cool

hi bob i do appologise i was alittle p1s5ed last nite, i didnt realise you had a P1 so fair play to ya, no money is not the issue but dont want to just chuck it away. happy fisshing in ya P1.
Old 17 August 2001, 05:49 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Hi
Its me I’m back wake up glen4.
Exhausts I have had,
MY98 STD
MY98 SS BB
MY98 PE T75 PE centre section SS BB
MY00 STD
MY00 6X4 Oval
MY00 Hiper mid and BB
MY00 SS Downpipe Hiper Mid and BB
P1 STD
P1 SS BB
P1 full SS System.
I have had a few different systems and the best recommendation I can give anyone is go to a few meets and hear the exhausts for yourself. Don’t buy one expecting huge power increases. A good exhaust combined with Link or similar will give lots of extra power. But I would go for the exhaust that you think sound right for you. I think my exhaust is great but most would not like the continual high roar, bang and pop pop.
Old 17 August 2001, 06:26 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Red face

For anyone who thinks Magnex are cheap & poor quality...

Magnex are an exhaust company.
They make exhausts for a living.
Do you think they would get it wrong?
TVR use them.
Lifetime guarantee.
306 Stainless.

(no offence to SS, also a damn good pipe by all accounts)

Bob, can you make the B'mth RR meet?

MB
Old 17 August 2001, 11:06 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Lee

I have a Magnex BB (6x4 oval) and centre section with resonator on an otherwise standard MY99. The performance increase on changing the exhaust from standard was immediately noticeable (confirmed by my girlfirend). However, there wasn't much change when I added the K&N panel filter.

I was attracted to Magnex by the deep burble at idle which I heard earlier this year at Castle Combe, although these cars only had the backbox altered. I then tried John Pratchett's 4 door Scoob with Magnex BB and CS without resonator + Unichip. I was very impressed especially by the extra performance due to the Unichip. I thought it might be a bit loud on long journeys so I decided to go for the CS with resonator since I have a 5 door which tend to be more noisey. It does boom a bit at 3000 rpm (80 mph in 5th), but the V8 racing engine type howl it makes above 4000 rpm is awesome. My only disappointment is that I do not get any pops or bangs!

You are welcome to come and listen to mine if you are passing anywhere near Oxford or going to the Hampshire or the Surrey meets this weekend.

Alan
Old 17 August 2001, 11:54 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Sept 15th? I'm free that day put me down for it. Could do with a holiday.
Old 18 August 2001, 10:59 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bob:
<B>Sept 15th? I'm free that day put me down for it. Could do with a holiday.[/quote]

Nice one Bob, great to have a P1 there! And yourself of course! May have a 22B and an STi 5, 4, RB5 WR - amongst others.

Can you stick a "yes" on the RR post in southern section?

Many thanks.

MB

Old 18 August 2001, 05:55 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Done

Quick Reply: Scoobysport or Magnex backbox?