Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Link Mapping

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2001, 12:48 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

The very best way to get started with the Link is to get a good tuning firm like BR Developments if you are in the UK, or MRT if you are in Oz to map your Link to your car.

The additional premium over buying the appropriate hardware is negliable and you will get a first rate map as your starting point. The map will also be tailored to your required style, road or road and track and will take account of your modifications and needs.

For many there will be no need or desire to move on from there.

However if you then felt the urge to go further then you would have an excellent starting point - which of course you can always go back for.

If you choose to go it alone the Link Tuning approach is very straightforward, however there are many additional dimensions that need to be understood as you push the engine to its limits. In this case you will need to get in touch with Link mappers of some experience - who are under no obligation to assist you.

Regarding a PC interface - coming soon to the UK, however, if anything it is much harder to get a good map with it, even tho' the interface is much easier to use. Even more emphasis on getting it done for you to start off with.

Of course these are my own views from my own experience of 22,000 miles with 3 different versions of the Link ECU.

Cheers,

Trout
Old 15 August 2001, 12:55 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Sorry rannoch, forgot to acknowledge you too.

Listen to him.

He is a good egg.
Old 15 August 2001, 11:11 AM
frisby
Scooby Regular

With regards to the Link ECU, how have people got started with their mapping??

I appreciate that there are those who can talk the talk with regards to the Link but how did those who can walk the walk get started and how hard is it to get to grips with?

What sort of info is there to make best use of its features - PC integration, add ons etc or do most people just progress by trial and error??

Of those mapping their own Link ECU, has anyone caused any terminal damage to there scooby.

regards

Fris

Old 15 August 2001, 11:57 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Best guy to ask on this is R19KET, he started off with advice from Bob Rawle, and then proceeded to experiment himself, back in the days when everyone else was having PE phase one conversions.

Bob Rawle is also quite the mapper, but since he semi does it for a living, perhaps this isn't the kind of experience you are after. The trouble is since expertise such as this is few and far between, it is perhaps unfair to expect help.

If I had the ***** to try it for myself, much as I would want help, I would find it hard to lean on others to the extent that is necessary.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 15 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 09:45 AM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. The reason I was asking is that if various mods are added to the car at differing times, they would all need accounting for within the map so this could get quite expensive, but I was also interested in understanding the map process as it could be quite an experience to learn the product and advance the map with aditional mods to the car as time goes on.

As few people know the product first hand, I can understand that its a bit of a closed door as mapping knowledge is in demand.

thanks for the info

laters

Fris