Is it worth changing the centre pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2001, 02:52 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

With luck at the end of the week I may be able to keep the Scoob + have some cash for my first mods on this car.

Question, I want a downpipe and backbox change, but is there much gain to be had from the mid section? I have an Sti3 and thought that it was a straight through pipe anyway.....

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 25 July 2001, 12:14 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Hi

There is a small silencer in the Sti centre section, however I believe the restriction is minimal compared to the other sections.

For Sti's, the downpipe is the most restrictive part, hence most gains will be had if you replace this one first. The OE backbox is the next restrictive part, replacing this will give you a bit more gain and of course that lovely sound

Depending on your acceptable noise threshold levels you may decide that a downpipe and backbox is loud enough, however if not the most gains will be had with a fully matched exhaust system i.e. a straight through centre section being the last piece of the puzzle.

Thats the way I see it anyhow

Justin
Old 25 July 2001, 10:50 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Wink

I am deeply offended at the lack of response......
Old 25 July 2001, 10:58 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Depending on what exhaust system you run or intend to run. Changing the mid section for a straight thru item (no res box) will keep the flow constant with no restriction i.e 3 inch from down pipe into 2 1/2 m/s continuing to 2 1/2 inch back box.

I wouldn't bother changing the m/s unless you are willing to go Catless and change the down pipe.

I have the Scooby sport back box and down pipe. With a Magnex decat'd m/s.

I hear the full Scooby sport system is good value for money, performance and sound!!

(The Scooby sport m/s was not available when I did my mods).

Scoobysport.co.uk

...Hope it help Mike.

..IS
Old 25 July 2001, 01:40 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The standard centre section on the sti 3 is actually quite restrictive. The internal diameter is actually dropped to about 2" at the start of the muffler box. I would recommend the Magnex centre section if you are going the scoobysport 2.5" route. True 3" systems, unlike the PE T75 system, will not reduce the internal diameter to 2.5" at the joins between components, so if you want to go 3" (Scoobymania do a good one, BPM do a very good one that's more expensive) then get the whole system rather than just a bit at a time.
Old 27 July 2001, 10:08 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help lads

I am looking for a full system, and will likely go ScoobySport, having had their backbox before.

However, a guy on the bbs has twin-dump bpm downpipe, and a custom 3 - 2 1/2 inch Scoobysport centre to mate to an SS backbox.

What do you think of this tapering of the center setion? What will be the result? Will this setup with an SS backbox be better than a full ss system?

THanks

Mike