Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boost Solenoid - Is there an alternative ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2001, 10:34 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have a hesitation fault that one minute gives plenty of boost the next feels very flat.

I've since found that my Boost Control solenoid is intermitent i.e with the bonnet up an slowley raising the revs I can here the Solenoid working, but then it stops, then starts then stops at varying rates.

Sometimes it takes ages to get it working again by revving the engine and letting idle, then by slowley raising the rev it can be heard once again.

I tried cleaning the valve out several time, but the problem persists (although I have yet to clean the connector).

Is there an alternative to this very crude way of limiting the boost that the Actuator see's (they should of used a stronger Actuator -31 for example) i.e using an even crude method of a 'Bleed Valve' or even an AMAL valve from an Alternative manufacturer.

I know the Ford valve has 3-Ports and only cost about £38 whereas I beleive the Scooby Valve is about £160.

As i work in electronics and am aware of the cost of Solenoids I just can bring myself to fork out £160 for what is essentially a few bits of wire and a magnet.

Any advice would be appreciated.