Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What makes one exhaust better than another?

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2001, 01:10 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have to admit to knowing only the basiscs regarding exhausts. When I changed the exhaust on the Evo, I just went for the loudest one with the highest reported power gains - the Blitz system. Now I understand that max power isn't evrything and that I may have lost low rev torque in the quest for max power. Hence I dont want to make the same mistake again withe P1.

From what I have gathered, the main exhaust contenders are Scoobysport, Scoobymania, Power Engineering, Magnex, Scorpion and BPM, as well as the jap stuff.

Unlike brakes, where thr unanimous opinion is that AP's are the best, with exhausts, everyone has a different recommendation. How do I sift through all the possibilities and choose the best full system for me? I want a really meaty sounding TVR-like burble/growl and the best low down torque/pick up gains possible.

Scorpion and Magnex seem to offer the best in terms of value for money, so what benefits would i geet if i were to spend the extra and go for the ore exotic stuf like BPM?

Any help or advice in this minefield of options is much appreciated.

Cheers lads,

MS
Old 15 June 2001, 01:23 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Smile

Si'l vous plait?
Old 15 June 2001, 01:35 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

It seems there's a rolling road session at Power Engineering (not far from you) on the 14th July.

If you can wait till then you'll be able to see/hear/compare different exhausts.

granted it won't answer the 'which is best' Q, the only true way is to use the same std MY** car on the same day with all exhaust options (no other mods) etc. And only then it _might_ tell you which one is best on that std car. To get the best out if it the engine will need a remap (amongst other things!) to which theres another ball game...an exhaust that didn't perform well on a std setup _might_ come into its own after a remap....

I'll be there, I'm hoping to see a few different exhausts running with the standard ECU on the older 'big turbo' cars. My main interest is which part of the rev range peak torque is, I'm not too fussed with actual figures, unless mine are amazing of course

Good luck in your quest

Justin (saving for a link!!)