Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

resetting ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2001, 03:36 PM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a thread about resetting the ecu via connecting green to green black to black etc and read the mrt rally instructions. What I want to know before going ahead is does it serve any benefit for a UK97turbo, I can imagine it helping with jap models on fueling and such, and also if so can it also be done by the other method I read (disconnecting battery for 30mins +)if so does the rest of the procedure apply ie applying accelerator to the floor on ignition afterwards then driving for over a minute or so till the the check lights ackowledge the reset?

Answers please....
Old 02 June 2001, 12:20 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

How do you do this ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Phill C
Old 02 June 2001, 01:15 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

It will benefit any Scoob that perhaps isn't running quite as well as it should.
It especially helps if you've just changed fuel type or have had a bad batch.
You can disconnect the battery, but you won't actually know whether the ecu has reset or not. It's really easy and quick connecting the plugs.

Stef.
Old 02 June 2001, 09:29 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Cool

I performed the reset yesterday evening. The difference was noticeable immediately.

My car has run SUL for a while now but with no real increase in MPG because of it. Will be doing 160 miles today, so we'll see.

One noticeable thing though is the smoothness of the engine now and the improved pickup in mid range, put your foot down in second or third and it feels like a rocket ship!

Laurence
Old 02 June 2001, 01:41 PM
BEL
Scooby Regular

I reset my ECU recently. Was given this procedure after posting message about problem with engine noise. Can't recommend it enough. The difference was immediate and the car now runs much smoother and quieter.

Procedure is very simple. Just locate the four wires with male & female connectors (2 black and 2 green connectors) under the dash where the steering wheel is (mines were kind of taped together but pretty easy to spot). Just turn engine off & connect black to black and green to green. Then turn ignition on but don't start. Fully press accelerator for few secs, release then start. Check Engine light flashes. Drive for minute keeping speed above 5/10 mph. Stop the car, turn off ignition and disconnect wires. ECU now reset

Happy smoother driving
Bel

[This message has been edited by BEL (edited 02 June 2001).]
Old 02 June 2001, 02:04 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The check engine light will stop flashing when the reset is complete.

Stef.
Old 02 June 2001, 03:06 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

I have a UK MY00, with 4000 miles on it. It has only ever had one tank of UL from the dealer, the rest SUL.

Can anyone see any benefits in resetting the ECU?

Thanks

J
Old 02 June 2001, 03:45 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm aware the MY99 & MY00's ECU adapts very quickly to different types of fuel used. Reset should not be needed especially after the mileage you've done. It's a self learning ECU, different to earlier model Scoobs.

WREXY.
Old 07 June 2001, 04:08 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ok ive tried to do an ECU reset but my 'check engine' light does not flash in fact it doesnt come on at all when the engine is started but does illuminate when just the ignition is on as does most of the other lights.What am i doing wrong and do i have to drive the car with the plugs still connected and for how long.Its an MY93 WRX
cheers
Daren

[This message has been edited by scooby-tc (edited 07 June 2001).]
Old 07 June 2001, 04:46 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ok ignore that last post ive sussed it and it seems to drive much better
Old 07 June 2001, 04:46 PM
steve170
Scooby Regular

Stick your green and black plugs together, start the engine take for a quick drive, 30 secs or so make sure you go over 20 mph or so. As soon as you do Check Engine light will switch on or off (can't remember which) then ECU is reset. Turn off engine, disconnect plugs. Done.
Old 07 June 2001, 08:08 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Guys
Follow this link for detailed instructions for resetting your ECU ....
Old 08 June 2001, 12:06 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys,

I think I'll have a go at this on my 99 at the weekend - one question though, when driving with the connectors done up, does it matter how fast you go - as in maximum? I see that you should get above 20mph, but kepp below something? Or is literally a 500 yards up the road job?

Matt
Old 08 June 2001, 07:19 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

My tuppence worth....

While the ecu adjusts for good/bad fuel very quickly, it *seems* to me to provide a map based in some way on driving style;

My drive to work is 20k's of heaven-sent twisty followed by 45 of motorway and 10 of town driving.

I reset the ecu every month and instantly notice the engine pulling harder and smoother at the top end of the rev range.

I *think* that this can only be because not all my driving is *****-out, on motorways and town driving a rarely use more than a quarter throttle and 4k rpm.

Anyone noticed the same?

Oh - and beware of doing this on STi's; by default the ecu will *have* to retard the ignition to protect against the crap UK fuel (ecu expects 100 ron) - so resetting the ecu will cause it to have to learn that the fuel is bad......so it'll wait for the onset of knock...not sure how dangerous this is...

Richard
Old 08 June 2001, 11:03 AM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

Reset my ecu 4 days ago now and cant believe the improvement. The car used to be hesitant and struggle in low down revs and need speed to be able to change up when driving under 35mph but almost from starting the engine this was twice as smooth. there also seemed to be a bit more pull and smoother dist of torque when accelerating harder. Going to try again this weekend after filling with SUL as before id had to stick the **** stuff in so hoing for a bit smoother torque and better mpg return again perhaps.

For the time it takes its deff worth a go.
Old 08 June 2001, 05:28 PM
Simon Insull
Scooby Regular

Question

I have a MY99 and my black connectors don't match up (the green do) so therefore I cannot do the ECU reset??!! Although I don't think it matters on a MY99/00 anyway does it? The ECU learns by itself what the fuel is, doesn't it????

Simon
Old 10 June 2001, 01:37 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Question

Help

Been looking to do mine today, 94WRX, but when I get under the dash it has a green and a black wire going to a single connector block (green), and a matching set on the other side, mine are already connected and appear to do nothing even when depressing the loud pedal etc. Are these the right one's, i can't find any others?

Skip.
Old 10 June 2001, 09:29 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Matt,
How did you get on with your MY99? i'm thinking of doing the same.
Regards,
Jon
Old 10 June 2001, 09:34 PM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Question

Just tried the reset - everything went as instructed (drive for about a minute and the Check Engine light starts flashing etc.), but I do have a question.

When I first turned on the ignition with the plugs connected, I could hear occasional clicks (every couple of seconds), and occasional "whoosh" sounds, again every few seconds (the sound the car normally makes, just once, when the ignition is turned on)
It all went quiet once the engine was started.

Is this normal? Scared me a bit for a while.

For the record, the car now feels SO much more responsive.

Ta

Paul
Old 11 June 2001, 09:27 AM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Simon Insull:
[B]I have a MY99 and my black connectors don't match up (the green do) so therefore I cannot do the ECU reset??!!

If your unable to reset it this way then just disconnect the battery for at least half hour, reconnect and then follow same procedure, turn ignition (not engine) depress accelerator start drive - i noticed a difference immiediately in low down revs depsote being warned that it runs dogged for first however many miles - and ive reset it twice now in space od 1 week to allow for sul and each time difference is immediate - scary how poor our fuel is.