Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HKS EVC-IV Setting Up

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2001, 10:15 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just fitted an EVC-IV to my 98 UK turbo and am a bit unsure about setting it up. Basically the car is running a lot smoother and pulling better but at around 6000 revs the engine 'jerks' and seems to cut momentarily. This is worse in High Boost mode which I have set at 1.15 bar (low is set at 0.95 bar) and I have been playing around with the offset which set itself at 100 (as recommended) after the learning runs. I lowered the offset and progressively raised it again but if I reduce the jerkiness the max boost falls to just over 1 bar and I am trying to get it higher. The only restrictor that I could find in the system was in the small pipe from the turbo body to the T piece and that has been removed anyway. Has anybody else come across this and how did you solve it? Any help gratefully appreciated - I bought the controller from Nito but can't contact him at the moment because he is away selling cars

Raymond.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:07 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Raymond,

Have a look at this is link:
Old 31 May 2001, 09:19 AM
Jan Shim
Scooby Regular

Raymond,

Do you have an Fuel Cut Defenser fitted to the ECU ? 1.15 kg/cm² is very close to the factory ECU boost cut so if the EVC spikes a little but you will hit the threshold resulting in the "jerks" you've encountered. Other than that, the url Andy mentioned should help smooth out any installation and tuning hiccups.

Jan
Old 31 May 2001, 06:57 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Andy, Thanks for that. I managed to speak to Nito last night after having another shot at it with no improvement. This time I got home and started checking everything out yet again when a reducer split in two in my hand!! I glued that back together and tried again today but this time it is consistently overboosting like mad I need an offset of 150 (maximum) to keep the low boost down to 0.98 and can do nothing with the high boost.It looks as if I have a leak somewhere and I'm just off to have another look. I have ordered 2 new (Subaru) reducers from my dealer and they should be here tomorrow. I guess that it is just a process of elimination

Jan, Thanks for your reply. There is no FCD fitted and this is the same boost level that others are running with no problems. At least the symptoms are consistent now after finding the faulty reducer so I suppose that that's a step in the right direction

Raymond.
Old 04 June 2001, 12:45 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good to see you got it sorted!!

Enjoy, and like me you'll be driving around looking like this:

Andy
Old 04 June 2001, 11:42 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Time to set the record straight in case anybody else has the same problem that I had......When I connected the 4mm tube from the solenoid switch I took it straight to the manifold as per the HKS instructions rather than use the T piece after disconnecting the tube to the original valve as shown in Andy's photos. I understood that I had the option and, as the spare take-off on my manifold was unused, I just went there. However, by doing that and not disconnecting the tube at the T piece I unknowingly left the original valve active so it saw overboost and cut the fuel. Altering things so that I did all the connections as per the photos solved the problem and the result is brilliant Even in the low boost setting (0.96/0.97 bar) the car pulls much more strongly and the high boost is just something else So, the lesson is that wherever you connect the 4mm hose to you MUST disconnect the original pipework at the T piece. Many thanks to Nito for being a great guy as usual and helping me out with advice - you deserve a medal, mate

Raymond.