KnN 57i kit

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2000, 05:50 PM
SteveM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

This may be a stupid question i hope so cos if not i screwed up.
I just fitted the new KnN 57i kit to my MY99. Its going OK but having never had an induction kit before i was wondering is there supposed to be loud hiss of what sounds like escaping air as i change gear or come off the accelerator. I hope so cos it sounds great, but had to ask you understand.

SteveM
Old 26 July 2000, 06:01 PM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Yes, you will hear that sort of sound.

Can you tell me exactly what was supplied in the kit and how good you thought the instructions were for this kit please. Does it contain any information regarding issues with the MAF sensor - cuations about fitting etc.

Thanks,

Julian.

[This message has been edited by Julian (edited 26-07-2000).]
Old 27 July 2000, 06:52 PM
SteveM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Julian,

Thanks I can sleep easier now.

The contents of the kit are:
1 x clamp on filter
1 x Bracket (which secures the intake hose and MAF housing to the coolant tank. Secured well).
1 x Adaptor plate ( between MAF housing and filter).
1 x Rubber intake hose.
1 x Instruction sheet.
1 x Fitting kit comprising of:-
1 x Gasket ( for MAF housing and adaptor plate).
screws, nuts, flat and spring washers.
1 x Filter hose clip
1 x Studded hose clip ( for securing intake hose to coolant tank bracket).
1 x Hose clip ( for other end of intake hose).

The fitting instructions are easy to follow and laid out well with closeup pictures of the engine with relevant parts indicated. There is no instructions specific to the MAF regarding caution of fitting etc. I understand your concerns I was the same but the securing arrangement to the coolant tank is quite solid and i didn't notice any excessive vibration and after a good test run everything was still secured well. Generally I think all you can do is be careful while removing and replacing it and once its resecured there shouldn't be a problem i think.

Thanks again,

SteveM

[This message has been edited by SteveM (edited 27-07-2000).]
Old 28 July 2000, 11:15 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Steve

See my earlier post..
I fitted one 3 weeks ago, the dealers said I had the 1st one sold for the My00 !!
Fitting was not too hard but when I drove the car I thought I had fitted it wrong as the noise was so loud, I hear the turbo spin up even with my stereo on and it sounds like I have an external Bov now. I was glad to read your post as I now know the sound is normal. Only downside is the noise is associated with Fords !!
Old 13 May 2001, 10:33 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Question

Is the K&N induction filter oil-impregnated as the K&N replacement panel filter?
Old 13 May 2001, 01:08 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The noise is nowhere near as loud as some other induction kits though.

dmel.
Yes it is.

Stef.
Old 14 May 2001, 10:48 PM
danamber18
Scooby Newbie

My scooby sounds like Darth Vader after a marathon with a K&N cone filter fitted, people think its a dump valve, it sounds BLOODY GREAT does'nt it!!!!!
Old 14 May 2001, 11:21 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

I have been tempted many times to fit an induction kit be it KnN,hks,blitz but in the
end of the day don't these kits lose some
power in top end,also cause they suck air
from the engine bay is'nt the warm hot air
going to affect the performance?
Old 15 May 2001, 12:27 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Kenny,

I have been running a Blitz induction kit for almost a year and been happy with it although it can be a wee bit noisy at times However, I removed it a few weeks ago and put the standard air box minus resonator back on to see what it was like. Within 3 days the Blitz was back on because the engine seemed to lose its edge without it. As a matter of interest the air inlet pipe was spotless too and not getting dirty as I have seen claimed elsewhere.

Raymond.
Old 15 May 2001, 12:35 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Raymond,

The blitz has been problematic for some people.

i had one and it was ine, but since they are all made in the same way, I would suggest that you contniue to check on the inside of teh pipework whenever you can.

if crap gets into you engine you will not be too happy.
Old 15 May 2001, 01:04 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Excellent

I was thinking long and hard about fitting one of these, but was worried about the MAF problems.

Mind you, I've got a Ram-Air filter element, so I should know better!

As for the extra sound, as long as it's not too loud I'd welcome the extra "character".
Old 15 May 2001, 10:29 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Thanks raymond,i am now sorely tempted. I am
hoping to get it along with the blitz spec r
exhaust system,god only knows how much my premium will go up by.
Old 16 May 2001, 09:33 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I use to run a K&N 57i in my MY97 UK car, and it was top notch, the improvement was noticable straight away, and the noise, I think is the blow off valve blowing air back through the filter (?? - Or at least that's what I was told)

When I bought my MY99 UK car, K&N hadn't developed one for it yet. Instead I went for a Unifilter RamPod, which I believe is a much better filter, but then new they are about £230, so I'd expect that!!

The RamPod, gets louder (inducts more air) the harder you press the accelerator. I didn't notice this with the K&N. It's a bit louder than the K&N, but the car has always performed a bit better than similarly modified cars on the rolling road, the only difference being the filter. OK I know it can't make a huge difference, but I'm very, very happy with it!!!

If I had the choice again, I would spend the £200-odd and buy a RamPod over the K&N!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 17 May 2001, 03:42 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Having read all these posts concerning broken MAF's, which is the safest induction filter? K&N, Pipercross, or another?

For K&N: Does the package include additional oil and if not is it sold separately?
Old 17 May 2001, 08:35 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Dmel,

The oil and cleaner kit is sold separately for the K&N. I haven't had a problem with broken MAF's and haven't heard of anybody else having problems either with K&N. Couldn't say if it's the safest though, cause other brands may be just as safe. The K&N is safe however.

WREXY.
Old 17 May 2001, 09:24 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Kenny

Once the car is on the move, the general air flow through the engine bay will mean that there is little difference in the temperature drawn through the front wing or drawn directly from the engine bay. The only time when there is a significant difference is when the car is idling or moving in slow traffic.

If you are worried about this, there are several ways to combat it. The cheap and easy way is to cover the hole in the wing when you have removed the resonator and use a piece of flexible aluminum hosing (about a fiver from Halfords) to direct air flow from the front spoiler up to the air filter. The more expensive way is to look at the BPM unit, which fits the entire air filter assembly into the front wing (achieving basically the same thing). The choice is yours...

Cheers

Chris
Old 20 May 2001, 11:33 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

cheers chris.I had my heart set on the blitz
kit but i'm still not decided yet. induction or panel.... that is the question.
Old 21 May 2001, 08:44 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

No problem Kenny. What I would suggest is a phased approach. The cheapest and easiest thing to do will be to remove the resonator from the front wing and fit a good quality panel filter (such as the ITG one from Scoobysport). This will cost you around £40 - at least half the price of an induction kit. See how you find it (you should notice an improvement and more noise ). If you want to go further, then buy an induction kit - there are a lot of people who will argue that this setup brings as much benefit as an induction kit.

Cheers
Chris