WR Sport exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 05:06 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

I followed a MY01 WRX demonstrator today and I noticed that the standard exhaust had been removed and replaced with what looked like a Magnex back box.

When the car stopped I saw that it had written on the exhaust pipe
'WR SPORT' I phoned the local garage and asked about it, they said they were availiable for fitting to the new WRX so that the warranty for the exhaust system stays in tact. The garage say that there is no claimed power increase but they think the car feels faster.

Has anybody ever heard of these exhausts and if so what are they like? It looked and sounded meaty enough but i think its over £300.00 to supply and fit !

Thanks

Nathan
Old 18 April 2001, 07:45 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Yes - the WR sport exhuast is the Prodrive backbox ....... Its top notch - although not as meaty sounding as the P1 prodrive box they do !! Full Stainless, and most garages will fit it FOC............
The obvious benefit of the box is that it wont screw your warranty up.....allegedly giving about 4% power gains into the bargain.

Hope this helps,

Gastro

PS - It was originally designed for the MY01 - according to prodrive -& has some different hanging arms on it to fit on the MY01.............

[This message has been edited by Gastro (edited 18 April 2001).]
Old 18 April 2001, 09:14 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Gastro

Thanks M8, I will now seriously look at this back box. I forgot to mention it was a
6" X 4" tail pipe (Looked the mutts nutts) which is why I thought it was a bit odd. I thought that all prodrive exhausts had round tail pipes.
Shows how much I know

Nathan.
Old 18 April 2001, 09:26 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

No, the WR sport Prodrive box is available in round tailpipe or oval(ish) shape.....
Phone Prodrive up - they were very helpful when I spoke to them - I nearly ended up getting one for my P1 - until they told me the P1 has 'P1' embossed on the tailpipe & apparently sounded better.....but the WR sport and the P1 'box offer the same performance enhancement apparently.....thats if you can tell 4% difference

Gastro
Old 18 April 2001, 10:30 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I have the backbox in question fitted to my MY00, im not sure about any differences with hangers or about the price....sorry

All i can say is it does give a nice sound although not as meaty as some others but the advantage is that on the motorway there isn't much droning.

Ian

Old 19 April 2001, 12:17 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The various silencers we have supplied so far are

1. Turbo 90mm round tailpipe. PPP only
Prodrive Logo

2. Turbo 120x75 oval tailpipe. WRSport logo & different internals to 1. Available from any Subaru Dealer

3. Sport 99/00 oval tailpipe as 2.

4. P1 90mm round tailpipe. P1 logo different internals to 1 & 2 to suit higher engine output. Available from any Subaru Dealer.

5. WRX as 2 but to fit new car.

6. WRX PPP. Prodrive logo and tailpipe design TBA but not oval.

Clear as mud

Mike
Old 19 April 2001, 08:44 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Question

Looks great, M8. A definate must have.

I went straight to my local garage (Adams, Aylesbury) and they new nothing about it. I'll try Prodrive later.

Anyone know when the PPP for the MY01 will be out?
Old 19 April 2001, 09:04 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

As I understand it, the Prodrive BB options are:

1) PPP/WRSport pre MY01 BB is 3.5" round tail pipe with Prodrive embossed on it. You can only get this when buying the PPP.

2) WR Sport pre MY01 BB 6 x 4" oval tail pipe with (I think) Prodrive embossed on it. You can only buy this if you don't buy or have the PPP.

3) P1 BB is exactly the same as 1) but has P1 embossed on it. Don't know if you can buy this if you don't have a P1. 'Cos it's the same as the PPP 3.5" BB, it should sound the same.

All three retail for (I think) £350 Inc VAT.

Don't know what MY01 Prodrive BB options there are but I bet they're the same...

Matt

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 19 April 2001).]
Old 19 April 2001, 01:19 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I wasn't far off then was I Mike?

Cheers for the info,

Matt
Old 19 April 2001, 04:38 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Smile

Come on Mike!

When will the PPP for the WRX be available? I don't want to get a new WR Sport BB if I'll need to change it for the PPP version straight away.
Old 19 April 2001, 05:46 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ian
Thanks for the picture (looks good) and yes that appears to be the one I was looking at, although for the MY01. Do you think that the car feels any different with that back box on?

Does anyone know if Pro Drive do a short midpipe to remove the catalytic convertor or would I have to get that somwhere else ?

Old 19 April 2001, 07:05 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Nathan

That pipe will be part of the performance package. Unfortunately no details of when it will be released at the moment other than to say it's getting much closer.

Mike
Old 19 April 2001, 08:11 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike
Thanks for your reply. I suppose before I asked the question 'Does anyone know?' I should have looked at where you come from.
DOH!

I know it is difficult to keep looking at the same posts but if you do :-

Is there any sort of performance increase from the exhaust I mentioned earlier, as my
local dealer said none was claimed and I cant get another test drive at the moment ? If I get the full PPP later will this exhaust still be all right or need changing ?

Last question honest ! I am STILL waiting for my first scoob but when it arrives do I have to go to Subaru for Pro drive stuff or can I go direct to you ?

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Nathan
Old 19 April 2001, 08:46 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

i had the oval wr sport box fitted at the local dealer.
its not that loud. so i am having the centre pipe changed this week i will let you know if it sounds any louder
the wr box was about £300 and the pipe about£70 fitted
you could get one made with any tail pipe you want for about £450 ish
(the pipe is not a prodrive part but easy to swap if anything goes wrong)
Old 20 April 2001, 08:23 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Mike

Since fitting a high-flow downpipe to my PPP'ed car I'm finding the PPP backbox too loud (I'm becoming Swiss ).

Do the modifications made to the P1 item include making it a little quieter?

Thanks
Richard
Old 20 April 2001, 02:42 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Richard

Our rear silencer was designed to run with the std cat and is not too noisy as you found. Removing the catalyst with it's silencing effect then gives much more noise, the only way to quieten it down again is put the std rear silencer on or re-fit the std catalyst!

The P1 silencer is actually noiser than the PPP silencer when fitted to a 'normal' Turbo/GT engine so will not help.

Nathan
All Prodrive Impreza silencers fitted as part of a performance package do have round tailpipes but we also supply a similar silencer with the oval tailpipe branded WRSport.

The WRSport silencer gives a small power increase which is very noticeable on the WRX although we have not quantified this increase. As an indication of it's effectiveness, a Subaru dealer had 2 demos and thought they had an engine problem on one car because it was slower than the other....until they fitted the same WRSport silencer and suddenly it felt the same!

The PPP will be available very soon so I would wait as it will include a different silencer to the WRSport.

Mike
Old 20 April 2001, 06:50 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Just fitted a Prodrive P1 Backbox to my Standard Turbo MY00. Sounds Great

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 21 April 2001, 08:44 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Mike

Do you know the internal construction of the Prodrive backboxes? Are they perforated pipe or steel-wool-type-thing (!) packed?

I tried with the OE backbox and it makes a large detrimental difference to the performance as well as decreasing noise - I'm hoping to find a happy compromise by customising

Cheers
Richard
Old 21 April 2001, 07:50 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Question

When you talk about back boxes, is the Prodrive P1 Backbox the same item as fitted to the P1 or is it an upgrade?

The reason is that I have just purchased a P1 backbox from someone who upgraded to a Magnex, it is for my standard MY98 wagon - not necessarily for performance, more for looks.

Laurence
Old 22 April 2001, 07:07 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

The standard P1 backbox is an STi item (has STi embossed on the side)...It sounds extremely tame and is 93mm diameter. The prodrive P1 backbox upgrade is also a single pipe (90mm), sounds meaty (!), and has P1 embossed on the top. I suspect its the former that you bought.

Regards,

Gastro
Old 22 April 2001, 08:28 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes it is the original I bought, does it sound ANY different to the twin-pipe?

I didn't want anything too noisy as I leave for work at 0600 and don't want everyone up!

This was mainly for cosmetic.

Laurence
Old 03 May 2001, 07:16 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Richard

They have a perforated pipe wrapped in various sound deadening materials, some of which are metallic.

Mike
Old 03 May 2001, 11:09 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I already have a WR Sport backbox (oval). If add a "P1" centre section will this a) cause any problems at the engine end and b) be ridiculously loud?
Thanx
Old 04 May 2001, 06:54 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thank You