Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction Kit vs. Panel Filter???

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2001, 01:32 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anybody tell me if there is a noticable performance difference between the following?

1. An induction kit, i.e. K&N

2. Decent panel filter, i.e. K&N plus resonator removal

Anybody tried both?

Whilst I'm here, will a panel filter out of a UK97 Turbo fit a UK00 Turbo?....

Old 29 March 2001, 02:20 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Personally I would not waste my money on an induction kit for a post MY98, as there seems to be no benefit. Believe MY97 panel filter will fit, but it will give no advantage over OE. Just avoid oil impregnated filters at all costs.

TONY

Old 29 March 2001, 02:33 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Tony,

I ask about the K&N panel filter because I've heard it mentioned that it would be sensible to fit an uprated, non-paper filter if the resonator is removed (which mine has been just).

I have meshed (about 5mm square) over the intake to the air box as a precaution against bits getting in there (which I think unlikely) but was intent on fitting an uprated filter also. K&N panels....are they oiled?

So you think a K&N panel filter for an MY97 will fit an MY00.....I'm a bit slow today!
Old 29 March 2001, 02:41 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Yes K&N should fit OK and they tend to be dry.

TONY

Old 29 March 2001, 10:13 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I`ve been using a K&N panel filter in my UK MY99 for about 10000 mls. with no probs. but no discernable performance gain either! They are oil impregnated but do not seem to bugger the MAF like some others? Unless your car is tweeked in excess of 350bhp I feel there is little point in a cone set-up unless you want lots of unessesary noise and possibly higher insurance! The benefits these so-called `performance` filters provide is subjective to say the least.
JohnD
Old 30 March 2001, 10:53 AM
Simon
Scooby Regular

The purpose of a 'performance' air filter is to increase the amount of air that is entering the engine, and therefore increase the performance. The way of doing this is by either having a larger surface area to the filter, or by reducing the filteration rates. Most induction kits (cones) have a smaller surface area than the standard panel filter, so tend to rely on reduced filteration rates for any performance increases. Most cone filters will have better flow rates than their panel counterparts, but due to their design they are breathing in warm air from around the engine, as apposed to using the standard air box which takes the cool(er) air from behind the headlight. This means performance gains wil be marginal.

The current Subaru world rally car does not use a cone filter, but instead uses a large panel filter that sits under the bonnet scoop where our intercoolers are. This gets air, not via the scoop as you would expect, but via a duct that sits underneath the bonnet and collects cool air from under the lower lip of the bonnet. It works as a kind of 'ramair' system commonly used on big bikes, the air is 'forced' into the air filter as the car is travelling forwards.

Simon
Old 30 March 2001, 04:48 PM
KenRSMY00
Scooby Newbie

Question

You know, I've noticed a rather generous scoop upon my bonnet. Can anyone think of a reason not to utilise it to ram air into the intake directly beneath it?? It would seem to possess all the same qualities of Wheel-well or Headlamp air, and with a shorter distance(less resistace) than the multitude of other systems. Ta.