Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch pedal movement

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2001, 03:48 PM
Flybywire
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

About once every two months, the feel of the clutch pedal totally changes for anything up to 5 minutes. All free play in the pedal is lost and the bite position is further from the floor. The pedal is much firmer. This usually happens when in a traffic jam after a long motorway trip but, the other day, it happened when I was parked after quite a short town drive.

It usually reverts to normal once I speed up again and appears to be due to temperature build up. Change to a higher grade clutch fluid may have improved it. The dealer has heard of it happening on one other car.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 29 March 2001, 07:01 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i take it you got a turbo if so check that there is a spring that goes on the clutch arm to a bracket on the bell housing. it's job is to hold the clutch arm tight against the clutch. without it the arm moves back against the fluid thus adjusting the height of the biting point. it is just about visable but removing the intercooler will help.
Old 29 March 2001, 09:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Flybywire
This has happened to me once. I had driven about 12 miles and had stopped the car for about 20 mins. I restarted and on depressing the clutch found that it had a "hard" feel and was heavier, this lasted for a short while but dissapeared and hasn`t happened since. It gave me a bit of a fright at the time. Nice to know it wasn`t unique!
JohnD U.K.MY99

[This message has been edited by JohnD (edited 29 March 2001).]
Old 30 March 2001, 03:49 AM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Talking

Unbelievable!!! I briefly considered posting a query on ScoobyNet regarding my 2.5RS, but then I thought "What's the point? Different car, different clutch, etc." Then I saw this post!

My car (MY98 Impreza 2.5RS) is currently on clutch #5 (under warranty, thankfully!). Here's the scoop on my (latest) clutch: When the engine is thoroughly warmed up AND there is a significant amount of heat build-up in the engine compartment (as in when doing alot of stop and go driving or when the car has had a good run and then parked for 5 minutes or so) two things happen: 1. The pedal resistance is REDUCED so much that hardly any pressure is required to depress it and 2. The point at which the clutch takes up the drive, in terms of pedal position, changes FROM NEAR THE TOP OF THE STROKE to around half way from the bottom. The remaining travel at the top just feels like free play. (Strange, huh?,in light of the experience of Flybywire etc.)

It has been suggested that there may be air in the hydraulic line or the clutch pressure plate may be defective.

I'm taking it back to the dealer next week.

Cheers everyone!
Old 30 March 2001, 08:30 AM
Flybywire
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies so far.

scoobyboy

Yes it is a 99 turbo and this has been happening ever since new. It happened again this morning, that's twice in a week, so may be getting worse. This time it took longer to go back to normal.

Interesting about the spring as, when it does clear, I sometimes feel as if something mechanical is catching on something.

I will take it up with the dealer and keep everyone informed of progress.

Superstring,

Your experience seems to be the exact opposite of mine and John D. The plot thickens.