Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Decatting and the law?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2001, 08:47 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I'm considering a full exhaust system probably a scoobymania system.

But what is the story with running a car with no catalyst, I know it will not pass MOT (two years left before one) but can I be in trouble with the law in between MOT's.

If so what can I expect if caught?

I guess this is probably been covered but your help is appreciated.

Andy
Old 21 March 2001, 04:05 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Andy,

I have (this morning) had a Prima Racing (Telephone 0115 949 1903)Turbo System fitted to a 1994 WRX.

The system has one cat fitted so it is fully road/MOT legal, and the 'pull' of the car is dramatically improved (and it sounds fanbloodytastic).

Cost (fully fitted) was £348.46.

I looked into have a de-catted system, but would have to change to existing standard system when MOT time comes - I could not be bothered with the hassle.

I hope this smay be of some help!

Richard.
Old 21 March 2001, 05:35 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy W,
meant to take you out for a run on Saturday in my car to let you hear the Magnex now it has a straight through unsilenced centre.you possibly heard it (dbm,sti5 spoiler,gun metal alloys reg.*** JJH).been told it sounds good now,but i've gone deaf
i'm putting the standard centre back in for road use.

john
Old 21 March 2001, 08:12 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Would not touch Prima Racing in Nottingham.

They damaged my 4X4 Sierra fitting an exhaust a few years back. The exhaust was eventually fitted correctly at Scorpion HQ but my rear bumper was damaged beyond repair.
Took legal action and my solicitor said he had never dealt with such an arrogant and awkward company. Sold the car B4 the situation was resolved.
Later spoke to a guy who had a Renault 5 Turbo and had a Hybrid turbo fitted at Prima, he had problems and the after sales service was zero.

Lee

[This message has been edited by logiclee (edited 21 March 2001).]
Old 24 March 2001, 04:05 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

[This message has been edited by Andy W (edited 24 March 2001).]
Old 26 March 2001, 12:56 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy W:
<B>But what is the story with running a car with no catalyst, I know it will not pass MOT (two years left before one) but can I be in trouble with the law in between MOT's.[/quote]

The fact that it won't pass an MOT is an indication of whether or not you can get nicked for it inbetween times....(but not always). The cops are starting to get a bit more serious about this (see previous threads) but in general you shouldn't have any probs. I don't know what the penalty is though.

Just make sure you don't make lots of noise around a traffic cop (by booting it of course) and they hopefully won't pull you "to have a look at your car".

Point to note - if there is nothing "dangerous" about your car (e.g. the brake discs/pads/fluid is not obviously buggered/leaking or say the tyres are bald), a cop that stops you at the roadside cannot without your permission inspect it. You say something like "it's not convenient for you to inspect my vehicle right now so I would like to arrange an appointment". This <B>will</B> get up their nose but a)there's nothing they can do about it (it's the law!!! ) and b)gives you a chance to put the catted centre back on .

BTW - the time/date <B>AND</B> location is of your choosing so try and make sure that you specify an area that is outside the jurisdication of the force that the cop belongs to - forces rarely bother to send someone outside their area for something as trivial as this as this wastes time and money .

Maybe you live in London and fancy visiting your mate in say Dorest next weekend...???

Matt.
Old 26 March 2001, 05:23 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt,
Scoobymania full system ordered today, £598 all in including VAT (pesky government) and delivery to NI!!!

Can't wait!

ANDY
Old 26 March 2001, 06:10 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

hi Matt,
do those rules apply if you get stopped for speeding or some other offence,
I didn't realize i could actually be done for not having a cat!
can U really tell a copper U don't want the inconvenience!surely that's what there paid to do
Old 26 March 2001, 06:30 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I read that same thing re arranging an inspection in one of the biking magazines last summer.

Andy
Old 27 March 2001, 02:13 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by smallfin:
<B>can U really tell a copper U don't want the inconvenience![/quote]

Yes you can - and do you know who told me? The chairman of my IAM Motorcycle group !!!! I've since checked it out and it's true. The other handy hint is that to inspect your vehicle, they also have to produce (up front I think) a certificate to prove that they are a qualified vehicle examiner!!!!
(BTW - most Traffic cops are but your Panda driving cop is usually not!! )

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Andy W:
<B>I read that same thing re arranging an inspection in one of the biking magazines last summer.[/quote]

Yes, I read that too which is further backup.

Matt

Old 27 March 2001, 07:30 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I know one thing for sure, the cops can give you a form that forces you to have a fault rectified and the form stamped by a MOT testing station. The most common ones I have seen are lights and number plates.

Assuming that the cop knows little about cars, lets face it most people don't have the level of interest for cars we do, the cop that stops you will have little knowledge of the availability of de-catted systems. Add to that Matt's comments and the fact that he would have to do a road side cat test to prove you failed an emissions test. If you did get tested (IMHO) you would get a MOT producer thing and restore your cat and get it checked.

I did once here that a guy got 'done' at a stop check for emissions where they where stopping cars and checking emissions at the side of the road. He said that there must be a problem with the car and he would get it sorted. It was a genuine fault on a bog standard car, and he suffered no penalty except the cost of repair and the hassle.

In my opinion, as long as you don't give it full bore in front of the law, ie normal sensible stuff, you should have no problems. As usual tho, you could be unlucky

Have fun

David
Old 28 March 2001, 02:03 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shark:
<B>I know one thing for sure, the cops can give you a form that forces you to have a fault rectified and the form stamped by a MOT testing station. The most common ones I have seen are lights and number plates.[/quote]

That's true but he has to inspect the car to find the fault to write the form....

If "it's not convenient for you to have him inspect the car" then he's kippered really isn't he??!! heh heh heh ...

Use carefully!!!

Matt.
Old 28 March 2001, 02:53 PM
NDT
Scooby Regular

do cars running on an SVA need a cat anyway?
Old 28 March 2001, 02:58 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

And if you do get stopped on the M25, when the big friendly policeman tells you to use the hard shoulder to build up speed and then pull onto the inside lane, for G_ds sake don't get a Santa Pod flashback ...
Old 28 March 2001, 03:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bajie:
<B>And if you do get stopped on the M25, when the big friendly policeman tells you to use the hard shoulder to build up speed and then pull onto the inside lane, for G_ds sake don't get a Santa Pod flashback ...[/quote]

LOL
Old 28 March 2001, 03:30 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bajie:
<B>And if you do get stopped on the M25, when the big friendly policeman tells you to use the hard shoulder to build up speed and then pull onto the inside lane, for G_ds sake don't get a Santa Pod flashback ...[/quote]

And pray you don't get a big flame out the back end too!!

Steve

Old 28 March 2001, 05:48 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Roflmao

Nice one guys

Andy