Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hmm, Induction kits

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2001, 12:43 AM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I have a Pipercross I/K as well! In the instructions it said that the oil was only needed for serious off road use....

J
Old 22 February 2001, 11:36 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have a Pipercross induction kit on my MY99 car. It was supplied and fitted by my dealership along with a Mongoose b/box August last year.

I have just been into my dealers to pick up a replacement key and got onto the subject of the filter and when to oil it, etc. They stated that they know of two recent MAF sensor failures due to Pipercross filters in the last two months or so, Subaru have sent round a circular stating that they will not replace the MAF sensor under warranty on cars fitted with non-gen filters, fair enough, i would have thought that a good quality filter would do what it it supposed to do, ie filter out any partials so they do not find their way into the engine or such like.

I had the garage connect the car to their diagnostic machine which confirmed that the MAF sensor is OK and functioning normally (phew!)
Also got a free ECU restet to boot, lucky moi!

This is a worry though and i now have the choice of changing back to the original airbox or running the induction kit and keeping my fingers crossed. The MAF sensor is £ 250.00 + approx so not cheap to replace.

I will contact Pipercross and discuss the matter with them although i am sure that they are not going to be liabel for any damage or failures caused by their products

Any thoughts, experiences or comments gratefully recieved.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 22 February 2001).]
Old 22 February 2001, 01:36 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I ran a PX kit on a MY99 for 30000 miles - not a problem
Old 22 February 2001, 02:32 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Paul,

The extra velocity of air taken in through aftermarket filters can cause failure of the film MAF on MY99/00 cars. Also, if the filtration properties of said filter aren't up to scratch (Blitz) then any particles that collect on the film can cause burn out and subsequent failure.

The above is not gospel as i'm currently running a K&N Panel on my STi V with no problems. However, I do know of other owners who have had film MAF failures when using induction kits.

The decision as they say is yours!!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 22 February 2001, 03:28 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

We at Mac's Power sold a few Pipercross Induction kits after a rep convinced me to try them. On my car the maf sensor lasted 800 miles. On a customer's car it lasted 1,500 miles. I contacted the others that bought them and offered them a refund or replacement. Some took it and two that I know of are still running them with no problems. Check out a recent post called which induction kit for more info as it was discussed in great detail.

Paul.
Old 22 February 2001, 04:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

This seems to be a bit hit and miss, i wonder if it is a quality control problem, some filters OK and others not so good. The shiney metal end cap fell off of my filter and the chaps at PX said that they had had a few of these. They did replace the filter FOC, i have not fitted the new one yet as i am worried it may not be up to it.

I have e-mailed Pipercross and stuck a post on POTN about this and i await relpies.

My filter has been in place for 15K miles so far, no problem (touch wood)so far.
Old 22 February 2001, 04:38 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Paul.
I told you to buy a K&N!

Stef.
Old 22 February 2001, 04:53 PM
GraemeF
Scooby Regular

Angry

I run a HKS Super Power flow with my STi5 (my99) and this ran well for 3months or so, then one day, accelerating down the slip road and onto the Motorway - POP no power no nothing... The car would start and then cut out again and again... thought it was the immobiliser that was faulty... 70 quid later.. it wasn't...

Finally diagnosed that it was the MAF that had packed in.
Had it replaced - a month later POP gain - thought it was a faulty replacement. this then lasted another month or so and then that one went. finally found the reason to do with the HOT film type MAF on some of the STi5's is prone to failure.

Each time I was in the 5-7k rev band when they went.

After spending around 800quid replacing the MAF's, I am now going to have a chip change (Motec/Gems) so I can remove the MAF for good.

Meanwhile I have limited myself to upto 5k revs and only a 1.0bar of boost, till I sort the chip change out.
I have been running like this now for over 15 months without any problems.

Last time it went was in '99, going over to Silverstone for the Rally GB (how Pi**ed off was I, hugely! ?!?!?!)

Old 22 February 2001, 05:57 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
After speaking with BRD it seems it may have something to do with how securely the induction kits are fitted.
Old 22 February 2001, 07:20 PM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Wink

Paul

Had the same problem with my car my99.

Pipercross used my car to make the kit for the my99. It went fine until i swapped it for the hks super flow.

A funny whining noise appeared, days later pop, no power and engine cut out. I think i was a lucky one cause mine was replaced under warranty.

After that though no problems with the hks.

Ady
Old 22 February 2001, 09:05 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Is there any guarantee given with the Induction Kit i.e. if it screws up the MAF sensor due to a faulty or badly engineered kit, then would the manufacturer be liable?

A long shot, but just a thought.

Stefan
Old 23 February 2001, 07:09 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I *think* there's two issues leading to MAF failures;

Over Oiling element - leads to contamination of the MAF and kills it.

Vibrations - when the induction kit is not fitted securely the vibrations will kill later model car MAF's.

As far as I know these problems affect all induction kits..... Just make sure it's securely fitted and you don't over oil it when cleaning.

If you're not sure, remove the resonator and fit a decent panel filter instead.....non-oiled (ITG is good imho).

Regards
Richard
Old 23 February 2001, 11:36 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Dowser, ITG is also oiled !!! Blue sluge in the engine compartment to prove it!
Old 23 February 2001, 04:53 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Have had K&N fitted for past 5 months with no bother touch wood. I have a MY 99.
The K&N is certainly very dry, you'd hardly know it was oiled. Seems to be fairly rigidly secured as well.
Fine product all round.
Old 25 February 2001, 07:43 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry, left off last post.......
GGR induction kit, 10K miles no probs. K&N cone works well, but must remember to clean when the RED starts to look more like GREY/BLACK!
Cleaning kit is approx. £10-14 @ GGR.

P.S.....ITG Filter, Boxed with stickers, approx. 300miles.......... offers ??????
Old 25 February 2001, 11:04 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,
To answer your question. I believe that we are the only company giving a MAF sensor guarantee with our induction kits. I doubt that you would have any comeback with the manufacturer in case of maf failure.
Check out
Old 08 March 2001, 10:30 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Update
I have e-mailed Pipercross on three seperate occaisions with no response so far, i Posted a message in thew Pipercross forum on POTN and a chap who goes by the name of 'Shopmonkey' has taken it up with Pipercross who will respond soon (i hope)

Will the American chap who e-mailed me with information on MAF sensors and Induction issues please send the e-mail again as i ahve managed to delete it instead of saving it
DOH!Paul