Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wastegate Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2001, 02:41 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I have a MY95 WRX which I got in December - first scooby. A few weeks ago it started missing and losing power and I put it in the local dealers - they said the wastegate solenoid wasn't working properly due to the oil level having been a bit too high. They drained a bit of oil and cleaned it, car much better. However, the last week or so it seems to be coming back. I've noticed a few articles about cleaning this using brake cleaner, and would like to give it a try myself before resorting to having it replaced. I have changed the oil in the meantime and it is set to just above minimum. I understand the solenoid is located on the offside inner wing but there are a few pipes here I could pull and I don't want to fill the wrong thing full of brake cleaner, can anyone help me identify exactly where the cleaner goes ? I was thinking of claiming on my warranty holdings warranty before it runs out next week, but as the turbo is excluded and it sounds like a nightmare I don't need I think I'll go for the cleaning. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 23 February 2001, 03:09 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Ken,

I too have a 95 WRX which I started to have similar problems with, this occured a month after a service. What had happened was they'd spilt coolant down the side of the block over the coil packs which connect to the plugs. The coil packs were cleaned and the problem seemed to go, I'm replacing my coil packs this weekend with new plugs as the ones I've currently got in are suspect. Your problem may be with dirty or wrongly gapped Plugs or Coil Packs breaking down.
With regards to cleaning your Solenoid, on the offside strut mount there is the Boost Solenoid whihc has 3 pipes going into it. disconnect the pipes and place some rags on your paintwork to prevent paintwork getting dirty etc..

What I use is Silkolene Aerosol Brake Cleaner which evapourates if left, connect the two green connectors under the steering column. Spray some cleaner into the Solenoid and turn the ignition 2 clicks, DO NOT START.
This puts the car into "Mad Cow Mode" and the fans cut in and out and you'll be able to hear the Solenoid clicking. Spray a touch more into the solenoid and then a 2 second spray down the pipes connecting to it.

Make sure you note which pipes connect to which ports, make a diagram if you need to and label them.

I'll let you know how I get on when I've changed my Plugs & Coil Packs.

What's the mileage on your WRX and when was it last serviced.

Neil
Old 23 February 2001, 03:19 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Neil

The car has 52k on the clock, as far as I know. It had an oil service when I got it, hence the overfill, and I got the cambelt changed when the dealers looked at it last time. I've just changed the oil again to make sure it is not the original oil causing the problem. I'll give the cleaning a try over the weekend as it did make a big difference last time, the car was better than when I first bought it. It's funny you should mention the coolant thing, the dealers left the overflow pipe off and a load of it spilled out on the nearside inner wing behind the headlight, I think I'll jetwash the area to make sure it's not a factor.

I'll let you know if it works or not.

How much does it cost to replace the coil packs and plugs ?

Thanks

Ken
Old 23 February 2001, 03:43 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Ken,

Mines just done 58k, the plugs I got were £60 for four (NGK Platinum tips) and the Coil packs I bought cheap elsewhere. They can cost up to £180 from a dealer for 4, make sure that your oil level doesn't creep too high as that can cause the Boost Soleniod to oil up. The spilt coolant behind the headlight should be cleaned up to protect the paintwork but this will not be anything to do with your prob.

If you have any problems drop me an EMail and I'll answer any questions you have.

Neil