Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

anyone got a de-cat downpipe on ppp'd car?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2001, 09:20 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

my my00 getting ppp next week , but at the moment i have a full decatted exhaust. what i'd like to know is, can i fit my decatted exhaust back on after the ppp?
has anyone done this, and were there any snags? also, is there a big difference in 'oomph' between decatted car and ppp'd car?
sorry for asking dumb questions, it's just i'm getting nervous the closer i get to handing over 2k!!
thanks for any advice
Old 14 February 2001, 08:11 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Got 2nd hand PPP ecu, then SS fitted SS DP - they know all the snags - phone Pete/Tony. PPP made a very noticeable difference - 252 lbs-ft and 249 BHP. DP made another not so noticeable difference - hope to get it re RR'd soon - hope for 265 ish BHP/lbs-ft.
Stan

[This message has been edited by StanS (edited 14 February 2001).]
Old 14 February 2001, 10:30 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep, got a my00 +ppp+scoobysport DP+SS ITG filter

I think the DP does make a difference - much freer revving.

nice sound too
Old 15 February 2001, 09:09 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

thanks so far. i understand the decatted downpipe makes a difference, it does on my standard car now.
but what i need to know is if its ok to have a decatted downpipe on a ppp'd car. will it cause any problems or is the prodrive ecu ONLY designed to work with their downpipe?
if it is ok to do it, is their even greater performance?
Old 15 February 2001, 09:19 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Spudgun,

No offense mate, but I thought you got the PPP so it would still be covered under warranty! Surely changing the downpipe would invalidate the warranty you have been trying so hard to protect!!

Just a thought!
Andy
Old 15 February 2001, 09:31 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Talking

didnt think of it that way!ha ha! s'pose yer right mate!
BUT...if i sell my car eventually with a ppp it will probably have a better resale than a unichipped car for example.NO, i dont want to start an argument over various ecu's, its just that i know the ppp is safe and warrantied. surely putting on a decatted downpipe wont screw things up?i hope not!
i just want speed!!
Old 16 February 2001, 12:19 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Spudgun

After fitting an ss downpipe to a PPP'ed my00 I'm having a few problems with boost control - peak boost has increased (1.35 bar) and is held for much longer before dropping back down.

Not sure how safe this is - waiting on a knocklink and potential fix. If you have a boost guage, keep an eye on the boost after fitting - not all PPP'ed cars have a problem (I think!), but I know of one other with similar probs.

Richard
Old 16 February 2001, 12:21 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Spud, I speak from absolutlely no mechanical knowledge at all,but it would seem as though you should have no problems.I say this because of the multitude of people who have fitted SSDP's on STi's/P1's/22B's without any problems(myself included)
I'm not sure where you are based but when I had a UKMY99 my MAINDEALER fitted a SSDP and was prepared to fully honour my warranty (The car did not have PPP).I can give you the dealer name if you like,but not on the net. Deep.
Old 16 February 2001, 03:53 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

My (former ) MY99 PPP had a downpipe. Did make a BIG difference. Especially noticable when I put the standard front pipe back on prior to selling - it felt like someone had taken the turbo out

Downsides? - it makes it *very* loud
Old 16 February 2001, 08:08 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Smile

any problems with it gary?
deep, my dealers pretty cool about these things, so i aint gonna worry too much on that one, but thanks anyway mate.
dowser, i dont have a boost guage ( i'm waiting on getting one of those 3 pod dash things) but i'm not very good technically so heres a daft question....
what exactly happens when you overboost??
thanks all!
Old 17 February 2001, 07:11 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>any problems with it gary?
[/quote]

Face ache from grinning
Comments from neighbours/in-laws due to noise
Flames scare small children/roast small animals
Pops/Bangs make pedestrians jump
You'll still want MORE
Old 17 February 2001, 05:17 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Cool

.....Ha Ha HARrrrrrr! Now its mine ! Cheers Gary.

T
Old 19 February 2001, 07:23 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Spudgun

Overboost is an automatic cut-out when a certain level of boost is reached - not sure what that figure is (Mike Wood?), but that's not my problem.

Boost figures are given in peak and held values - peak is the maximum boost when you floor it, and held is what it drops down to once the boost control system gets things under control (ie; catches up).

With just the PPP and resonator mods I was getting 1.3peak and 1.1 held. The peak value lasted only a split second.

Now the restriction of the OE cat/downpipe is gone, I get 1.35 peak and 1.15 held which is fine......but, the peak value lasts for around a second.....a very slow second

Not sure if this is actually causing a problem, but the risk is detonation because the mixture is lean; due to the increase in volumetric efficiency from induction/exhaust mods (thanks Pat et all, I do learn!).

However, the car goes like stink and I'm very happy with the downpipe I've refitted an old STi backbox I've got - which re-introduces a restriction into the system and helps keep things under control for the time being.

I've ordered a knocklink to see if I've really a det problem - if there is then I need to look at improving the response of the boost control solenoid thingy - it's working OK, but not quick enough.

If I didn't have a boost gauge I wouldn't even know of the *potential* problem - hence my warning. Given the number of PPP'ed cars that must have also had a downpipe change, I doubt there's gonna' be a problem......I just want to be sure......

Gary - did you have a boost gauge on yours? Did it do the same? Ever cause a problem?

Thanks
Richard
Old 19 February 2001, 08:30 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

No problem Tony - and thanks for blasting just to rub it in that I can't do that any more

Dowser, didn't have a gauge I'm afraid. On a dyno (pre downpipe) I highest I got was 16psi peak held at 14. Only ever got a very slight bit of overboost. Dealer cured by cleaning the wastegate? - 5 min job
Old 19 February 2001, 11:26 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Gary

I'm not suffering from overboost and driveability wise everything is perfect.

I'm just concerned that running 1.35 boost for a second is causing detonation - hope I'm wrong!

Cheers
Richard