Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

The Prodrive Backbox

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2001, 04:16 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The Prodrive backbox - the oval one that does not come with the PPP. Anybody got any pictures?

Most of what has been said about bb's recently relates to the ss one. (Whey hey for the return of the search facility)However I have heard this is boomy at m'way speeds.

Anybody had experience of them both?

Anybody got anything good to say about the prodrive one?

Cheers

Martin
Old 21 January 2001, 09:52 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Apparently it has a 120mm x 75mm tailpipe and supposed to be quieter than Scoobysport item... and that's all I know?!
Old 22 January 2001, 11:14 AM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Moss!

Yeh - I'm not sure about the oval bit. The ss box looks the biz and seems to get the nod from the boys (and girls).

Anybody got anything good to say about it?

Cheers

Martin

Old 23 January 2001, 10:44 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Obviously not!!!

Although there are plenty on cars, I think that very few will be on this bbs as Scoobysport products are fairly well known and therefore promoted and sold.

In my experience, the WRSport silencer will be quieter than the Scoobysport silencer but noise level is down to personal preference (or your partner's if she thinks it's too loud!!)

Performance gains will be very similar and before anyone chimes in with 'my car went better once I'd taken off the Prodrive silencer and fitted one from xxxxx', the WRSport silencer is different internally to the Prodrive silencer.

Mike
Old 23 January 2001, 01:20 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike,

I drive a P1 with the Prodrive P1 box, I'm quite happy with it, although I will be fitting a Scoobysport Downpipe very shortly. The question is, what is the difference between the Prodrive rear box and Scoobysport's, HKS or any other manufacturers box, also your quote: "the WRSport silencer is different internally to the Prodrive silencer".... what is the difference in bhp or torque gains?

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Old 23 January 2001, 01:57 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I went from a Prodrive (PPP not WRSport) backbox to a Scoobysport one. Performance difference was neglible, the only real difference was exhaust note which is a purely personal thing!

Therefore IMO If you are looking at buying a BB for the performance benefit, you will be disappointed, if its for the audible qualities, yes it is worth it, and will make you car feel faster, but it is so personal that you will need to hear the various options yourself to find a favourite - Cue Oulton Park this Saturday!!
Old 23 January 2001, 02:35 PM
nd555
Scooby Newbie

Question

Does anyone know if the Prodrive backbox is available as a separate unit? or does it only come with the PPP.

If available on its own what is claimed for performance increase. I thought it only increased performance if used with the ECU upgrade?
Old 23 January 2001, 02:53 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hey guys

I have the new oval prodrive bb fitted....i dunno how much it costs coz i got it as part of a deal with the dealer (£300 comes to mind though)

Anyway the sound from it is very respectable not too boomy and yet not too quiet. Not too bad on motorways either, come to think of it i havent really noticed any intrusive noise coming into the cabin. Have been told that it sounds great driving through towns and stuff

To sum it up the bb is very good quality and great sounding.

Hope this helps

Ian
Old 23 January 2001, 03:51 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Andrew

As the Prodrive silencer hasn't been tested separately by us on a 99/00MY I can't give an exact figure for the power increase. I can say that when we tested it on the engine dyno using a 96MY engine it gave an increase of 8-10bhp across the whole rev range.

The internal differencies are to suit the characteristics of the various engine specs and are generally changes in perf tube sizes.

The Prodrive silencer is available only as part of the PPP, however the WRSport silencer with an oval tailpipe which has been developed for the std car is available from your Subaru dealer.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeWood (edited 23 January 2001).]
Old 23 January 2001, 05:46 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ian

Thanks for the post. It seems on the BBS that the ss backbox is the only one. Glad to hear of some enthusiasm for the prodrive WR sport bb. I heard the ss backbox and it did seem a little loud but then that is the main point of changing the backbox I guess.

Got any pictures of your rear end Ian?

Mike

Thanks for the clarification.

Martin
Old 23 January 2001, 09:34 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi Martin

I see that you are from Glasgow, are you going to the Perth meet this sunday? If you are then you will be able to see it then. I dont have any pictures of my rear end (ooer) at the moment but will get some scanned in if you arent coming.

Hopefully see you at Perth

Ian
Old 24 January 2001, 07:17 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I've had both the SS and PPP backboxes. I found the SS item too loud ....for my wife & neighbours (I live in Switzerland!). A great sound though.

The PPP item is much quieter off boost and very unintrusive. On boost it sounds like extreme violence....lurvly

On a standard car I noticed no performance difference fitting a different backbox. But I initially ran my PPP car with the standard backbox - fitting the PPP item did improve performance! Go figure.....

Regards
Richard
Old 24 January 2001, 05:49 PM
22b
Scooby Regular

thinking of changing my ppp backbox and looking at the scoobysport centre decat and rear or the magnex centre and rear...was wondering if anyone had any experience with either ?

steve
Old 24 January 2001, 06:40 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by 22b:
<B>thinking of changing my ppp backbox and looking at the scoobysport centre decat and rear or the magnex centre and rear...was wondering if anyone had any experience with either ?

steve[/quote]

I went from PPP to PPP+downpipe to PPP+SS Backbox+downpipe.

Old 24 January 2001, 09:21 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ian

Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend but 2nd best would indeed be seeing a picture of your rear end (ooer missus)

Martin
Old 24 January 2001, 09:33 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi Martin

Shame you cant make it.......give me a week or so to try and get a photo sorted out.

Ian
Old 25 January 2001, 10:50 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ian

Mike has sent me a picture of the box alone. Looks good. Getting it fitted next week so I will race you to posting a pic!

Anybody got a digital camera?

Martin
Old 26 January 2001, 12:38 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good news m8.....you wont be disapointed.

I dont have a digital camera either so its a bit of a sod trying to get pics on fast

Ian
Old 30 January 2001, 09:54 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hello all

Well he is a pic of the bb, hah beat you to it scooby doc

Ian
Old 01 February 2001, 12:32 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular