Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Prodrive Turbo availability (FOA Mike Wood)

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2001, 09:52 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is a plee for help

I need some urgent assistance in getting strong turbo for competition use.

The car is an STi4 Type R running GGR ECU with a Front mounted IC, APEXI boost & Fuel management.

The original turbo was seeping oil past the seals so a new turbo was built. However the turbo has failed 4 times now on the shake down test as it was being set up by the company.

A much stronger turbo is required.

Mike do you sell Competition turbos ?
Could you e-mail me offline with the details if you do.

The car is running under 2bar (28PSI) at the moment, however if the setup will allow more then it will run the maximum possible w/o detonation.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 26 January 2001, 02:32 PM
JohnS

Lightbulb

The Motorsports division of Prodrive can supply virtually any competition spec item for an Impreza (including turbos).

Contact them via the numbers listed on their website at
Old 26 January 2001, 02:46 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks John,

We're having a nightmare with it. Running out of time very quickly too as the season is bearing down on us

I'll contact Prodrive directly.

Cheers

Mark
Old 26 January 2001, 06:21 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Mark,

I think you may have a problem getting a VF15 out of Prodrive, but good luck. I also believe the VF15 costs several thousand pounds (read second mortgage).

You don't say what turbo you have, or who has modified it for you. Have you tried speaking to Turbo Dynamics. Whilst I don't think any of the VF turbos (modded, or not) will cope with 2bar +, they can do the Garret ball baring turbos, which will. You will need to modify both the UP, and Down pipes though.

Personally, I'd start with a Hybrid Turbo Dynamics VF, that's good for 1.8bar, then get some decent engine management !!!.

Even the TOP GrpA subaru's are only running about 1.6bar (on standard turbos), but then,
they can afford to replace them, and use a QUALITY ECU/re-map !!!!!!

Who's doing the work for you, and what form of racing are you going to be doing.

Mark.
Old 27 January 2001, 12:04 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Its not actually my car ~ but the guy I competed against last year ! We both had an excellent battle. He beat me just in Hillclimbing but usually but the smallest of margins (MY UK94 Vs STi 4 Type R!)

I'm not competing in the Subaru next year, but a Pug 205GTi (cheaper to repair !)

To be honest I don't think that money will be the issue here.
Turbo dynamics ~ I refuse to comment on the details to keep the moderator happy,

I have already suggested MoTec to the chap. The turbo explodes on throttle lift, and has done several times. I believe all the blown turbos were hybrid VF's.

Oh yeah we're hillclimbing and sprinting.

[Remark regarding turbo removed]

[This message has been edited by Blackscooby (edited 27 January 2001).]
Old 27 January 2001, 01:14 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Mark,

Firstly, I don't believe Turbo Dynamics offer a VF turbo capable of 2bar, at full throttle, high revs. So if circa 2bar is what he's trying to run, I'm not surprised.

Secondly, does the person who's mapping have the flow map for the turbo. It's all very well playing with boost levels when you want to go from 1.1bar, to 1.4bar, but when you are pushing a turbo to it's limits (and beyond) it's VERY easy to get it wrong, and over speed it. The air intake system also becomes CRITICAL.

Mark.
Old 27 January 2001, 06:19 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I think the guy has reached the limits of what a Subaru w/o a fully mappable ECU can take to be honest. Someone mentioned regions of 400bhp.....

Now thats quite a bit
Unlike mine which was a handfull last year with tonnes of lag below 4000 and then the boost guage soared round to 23PSI and it rocketed forwards screaming all 4, his (was) very linear I believe.

But this season I think he's trying to build a monster ! "The blackbeasty"!!

We were discussing what to do next and we just needed advice really. MoTec I think is a must...

Cheers
Mark