Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

WOW, scoobymania exhaust looks nice.....

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2000, 09:19 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello everybody!

Today I was on the homepage of scoobymania (www.scoobymania.co.uk)
I have to say, their exhaust looks VERY nice and is resonably priced.
Is there somebody with one fitted?
How loud is it compared to the Scoobysport bb?
Quality?

thanks for any comments/informations
ric
Old 11 December 2000, 10:40 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I saw it aswell Ric. No idea about quality / sound, but I agree, it does look very good.

Chris
Old 12 December 2000, 06:48 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep. i have the full system fitted. It is superb, the quality is second to none, 3" bore, twin dump downpipe and a lovely slash cut tail pipe.

When it was put on, i noticed a immediate increase in performance, it picked up a lot quicker and pulled a lot harder.

The noise it makes is a very deep burble, not too loud and not too quiet (i do 70 motorway miles a day) and on release of the throttle i get all the pops and bangs WRC style

I`ve tryed a lot of systems HKS,Blitz, Magnex, Prodrive and i can honestly say the Scoobymania is my fave

Hope this helps

Paul

[This message has been edited by WALKER (edited 12 December 2000).]
Old 12 December 2000, 11:16 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thank you Paul for your comments!

How loud is the system compared to systems you have had?

Do you have a picture of the exhaust fitted to your car?

thank you and have fun!
ric
Old 12 December 2000, 02:16 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Also what car do you drive?!? Any dyno figures? I own a 96MY and was going to go for a full Power Engineering T75 system. If the Scoobymania offering is as good as this, then i'm sold, especially when it's £300 cheaper!!!!
Old 12 December 2000, 02:17 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Is the system cat free?

Matt
Old 12 December 2000, 05:08 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

The Scoobymania system is loud, but in a nice way, if you know what i mean. Its not overloud like the Blitz system i had was.

The system is cat free, it is fitted to my STI Type R V5, which produced 283 bhp and 266 lb ft torque when on Powerstations rollers the other week. Sorry, dont have any before figures.

Also, no piccies i`m afraid, but it does look the dogs danglies

Hope this is of help

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2000, 06:29 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Replace the mid for the MOT then Paul?

Matt
Old 12 December 2000, 06:37 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Question

How many sections does the (standard) scooby exhaust have? Is it downpipe (manifold), centre and backbox? Which bit has the cat?

Am I being stupid???

[This message has been edited by Kempo (edited 12 December 2000).]
Old 12 December 2000, 08:21 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Kempo,

You're not alone in being confused. From what I've learnt in the last week or so, the exhaust is in 3 bits.

The front and mid have cats, and I "think" that a replacement mid without cat can pass an MOT as long as the front has a cat, but talking the front out will fail an MOT.

No doubt you'll soon find out if I'm wrong!!!!!!

Matt
Old 12 December 2000, 09:21 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yo!

Karlos: The T75 system works fine I think, you can also have it with a sports catalyst in the mid-section. No doubt a full system without catalyst such as the scoobymania system works better, but without catalyst you won't pass the MOT and maybe you'll risk a fine (here in Switzerland up to 2000£!!!!, don't know about UK).

Matt: Yes, the scoobymania exhaust is without any catalyst, don't know if you could have it with a race/sportscatalyst (Mike from Scoobymania?).

Kempo: The exhaust system of the scooby does consist of 3 parts:
- downpipe with 1st catalyst (just after the turbo)
- mid section with 2nd catalst
- backbox
If you remove ONE of these 2 catalysts you will be OK at MOT! A lot of Scoobyowners on the board have the decatted downpipe from Scoobysport or Falkland. It gives good gains.

....only one person with scoobymania exhaust here?????????

greetings
ric from Switzerland
Old 12 December 2000, 09:47 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Matt

There have been stories about cars passing the MOT with just the mid section cat. It would need to be very warm though (and pref have the emission test done first (or find yourself a friendly MOT tester ))

Chris
Old 12 December 2000, 10:05 PM
Spatch
Scooby Regular

Ric,

So moving on from what you have just said, a good modification would be to change the d/p for a non-cat version (Scoobysport), keep the standard mid section and then go for the Scoobysport rear section? sound idea??

This way it should still pass MOT but give a reasonable increase in power?
Old 12 December 2000, 10:11 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Just to confuse people a bit more...

Both my 96WRX and my STI 3 came with standard exhaust systems... neither had a cat in the midsection, so this may be a UK specific "feature".

Moray
Old 12 December 2000, 11:03 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ric,

Thanks for the advice. My last question to everyone though is this. Is the PE T75 system "without" cat, worth the extra £300 on the price tag!?!?

PE reckon there scooby exhaust is the best ever!

Karlos
Old 13 December 2000, 08:23 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

It is only standard 'UK/EU Impreza turbo' that have 2 cats. WRXs and STIs only have the front cat, and two resonators/baffles in the centre section. PPPs cars also only have 'front cats'.
Old 13 December 2000, 08:56 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Well it gets clearer all the time Are we saying that without the front cat you're knackered mid cat or not? - seems to be the common wisdom.

What is the most common upgrade, are we talking work at each MOT, in replacing sections of exhaust, or, do people just change 1 bit?

I echo Karlos' thoughts, is the PE system worth the extra, are there manby people running it?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Churchill (edited 13 December 2000).]
Old 13 December 2000, 05:06 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Smile

Spatch,
yes, it is a good modification to change the downpipe and backbox. On the rolling road this won't show you big gains, but on the road the turbo spools up a lot quicker and the car pulls harder. If you have some money left, you can also buy a mid-section and with a sports-catalyst, that doesn't restrict flow as much........or you buy a complete system..........

Moray,
sorry forgot the STI's as I am driving a UK/Euro-spec. Scooby.

Karlos,
You have to check both options, I don't think there will be much difference in performance between these two...so check the sound.....and decide if the PE exhaust is worth the 300£ more.......

Matt,
As I come from Switzerland I have to change the exhaust parts for every MOT. Don't know about UK?

ric
Old 13 December 2000, 07:20 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ric

tough coming from Switzerland as well I don't have to change the exhaust at MOT (Abgastest). Maybe it's because a very close relative can conduct such a test on my car

Mike

Old 13 December 2000, 10:29 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Karlos,

I have the PE downpipe and cat centre section. I have inspected a scoobymania system very recently.

I am considering changing to the scoobymania system.

The PE system is compromised in a couple of ways... the joins drop the diameter to 2.5", hence restricting the flow, and the "twin dump" downpipe is a poor implementation of the dump pipe idea... it doesn't have a plate to seperate the main and wastegate exits, so it is effectively a poor version of the scoobysport style single wide mouth collecter downpipe.

Oh, and have you noticed how everything that Mr David Power advertises is always "The Best"? This is how to sell things. Mr Power is good at selling things.

The scoobymania system has a better design of downpipe with a seperator plate, so the wastegate outlet is isolated until the dump pipe rejoins the main exhaust, ala BPM twin dump style.

The scoobymania system does not reduce in diameter at the joins, so it offers a real 3" all the way through system.

In short, if you are OK with running a catless system, I would go for the scoobymanin one.

Moray
Old 14 December 2000, 08:48 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Moray,

How does the Scoobymania one compare to the Scoobysport. I see your comments, is the difference between the two significant?

Matt
Old 14 December 2000, 09:08 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Chaps,

Doesn't a 3 inch bore exhaust produce more top end power at the expense of low/mid range torque when compared to a 2.5 inch bore as found on the scoobysport (and tarmac spec WRC's).
I have an STI 5 with full SS exhaust and have also been in the Scoobymania car (also STI 5) with their full exhaust on. Not a great deal of difference between the 2 but I would say the SS one spools up quicker and lower ie. more torque.
I don't know what the top end is like on the Scoobymania exhaust but as far as looks, finish, construction quality, sound level, and sound quality are concerned, the are at least the equal of the Scoobysport products.
The choice probably comes down to looks and how you drive.

ChrisW.
Old 14 December 2000, 10:39 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I too am considering a new DP & Center and have been wondering which way to go (I already have a SS BB on a UK MY98 ).

One of the reasons for the change (apart from the Thunder and Lightning ) was the increase in torque at lower revs and associated driveability,

Can anyone quantify the difference in terms of Boost vs RPM made by the SS / PE / SMania systems?

I understand the difficulty in being objective about something which is ultimately personal choice and driving style. People I have spoken to with both the SS and PE DPs say that their car pulls harder at lower revs and holds boost all the way to the redline so is there a huge difference between the different designs?

Confused of Preston...
Old 14 December 2000, 01:50 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Don't forget, Moray's car *may* not be too standard....

Richard
Old 14 December 2000, 01:57 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Spatch,

I use to have a ScoobySport Backbox & Downpipe on a UK MY97 car, with the mid-cat in place. It was noisy, but had it tested and knew it would pass an MOT if warmed up.

I now have a UK MY99 with the same ScoobySport Backbox & Downpipe, but this time I've got a Magnex mid-section (with a resonator) The system is quieter than my old system despite running without cats!!

If noise is an issue, be warned!! If not, then there's no harm keeping the mid cat!
Old 14 December 2000, 02:01 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy,

Wouldn't replacing the mid section with a de-catted on increase power though?

Matt
Old 14 December 2000, 04:40 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yo!

scoobymike: Yeah, it's always better to know some persons......I am glad as I know you and your dad will make my Scooby a lot faster......!!!! Nürnburgring......we are coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Moray: I totally agree with you, but as I've never seen both systems I cannot make as clear poits as you.

There is a VERY good exhaust comparison on the Australian site
Old 14 December 2000, 06:59 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ric

I'm currently looking for the supersprint sportcat
Old 14 December 2000, 07:10 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Mat,

Yes changing the centre will (should) increase power, but as Spatch was worrying about the MOT, I thought I'd mention my experiences when keeping the centre cat!

Changing the mid-section makes less of a difference, than changing the downpipe - But I'm sure most of you know that already!

Andy
Old 14 December 2000, 07:56 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers Andy.

Really subjective question - is it worth changing the mid section, arethe gains great enough?

Quick Reply: WOW, scoobymania exhaust looks nice.....