Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe for STi8

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2003, 09:49 AM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What exactly will a downpipe do for an STi8? I've heard that it will reduce lag and give better acceleration. Also if I was going to get a downpipe, I should also be thinking about an up-pipe, is this right?

Question: What exactly does each do and will the engine be any worse for wear and tear?
Old 14 December 2003, 11:17 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fitting the down pipe to the STi 8 will remove the cat, it will allow the engine to "breathe" better. Consider fitting the rest of the exhaust system and a green panel filter to allow more in to get the best of the set-up. Once the engine can breathe better get the ECU remapped and you should have more power. Some vendors are claiming 340 BHP with there exhaust system and an ECUTEK remap.

Yes thats 265 HP to 340 HP mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Conrad
Old 14 December 2003, 02:22 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Conrad... It does sound very nice
Old 14 December 2003, 02:25 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Don't forget though that come MOT time it will fail the emissions test unless you fit a sports cat downpipe
Old 14 December 2003, 03:53 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Conrad,
Do you know of anyone who has had exactly the mods you suggest and achieved the result?

I would like to see proof and hear about a car that has achieved this on more than one RR before I put money on the table. Not getting at you mate just wondering if caution should be applied

Edited to say that I would leave the uppipe alone for the time being. Unless you are going to do the headers there are probably better places to put the effort

cheers,
callum

[Edited by Callum Ferguson - 12/14/2003 3:57:42 PM]
Old 14 December 2003, 04:23 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

I've had the full de-cat exhaust from Scooby Sports, and also had the ecu re-mapped also by Scooby sports. The mapper Pat calculated the the engine was developing approximately 343BHP. This has not been tested on a rolling road yet though. The differance in the car is night and day. The power comes in a lot ealier and there's a lot more of it. You could just run on a full de-cat without the re-map but the car is a lot smoother on the power with the re-map and you know everythings working as it should.
Old 14 December 2003, 09:41 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

compshack,
Many thanks for the feedback. My STi 7 has also been Ecutek remapped and feels much better than standard but running 294bhp.

It sounds like Pat made a nice job of mapping your car Do you know how he calculated the figure of 343 bhp and did he provide any torque figures?

I still think it is quite an achievement to add 78 bhp with an exhaust, panel filter and a remap of the OEM ECU so well done
Old 15 December 2003, 07:57 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Wink

Callum,
He calculated the bhp by the amount of grams per something which the engine was sucking in or something like that. It's quite an eye opener driving your car up and down a dual carrageway while a guy next to you has his laptop with ecutech software running making adjustments and then uploading the info into the ecu. Like I said the figures are only estimates and need to be verified on a rr. After the re-map there are now no flat spots in the acceleration and the whole car feels smoother, there is more torque too you can feel it in the lower revs in higher gears, you don't have to change down as much. Driving on a known road you seem to run out of road alot quicker and acceleration is really faaaaast!
Oh I did have an uprated fuel pump as well, which is important. The standard one cannot deliver the correct pressure.

[Edited by compshack - 12/15/2003 8:00:06 AM]
Old 15 December 2003, 12:45 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Talking

compshack,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I'm pleased you like the result achieved by Pat and Scoobysport IMO the heavier GDB/STi cars seem lethargic until they have been played with.

I am just a sceptic when it comes to bhp results It will be interesting to hear what you get if you ever put it on a RR. Not that it matters particularly as long as you like what you've got the pub figures are unimportant. Enjoy

Cheers,
callum
Old 15 December 2003, 01:01 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Cool

AK47,

Sorry for butting in on your thread mate. I fitted a turbo back Milltek system to my STi7 and the quality and sound, IMO, are very nice. I ensured the flanges were all flat before fitting and have had no problems with it. The diameter is nominally 70mm and it had a sports cat in the downpipe. The car was Ecutek remapped to 1.6bar and went better than standard by some margin.

In the constant search for a little more I had the Milltek cat removed and put in an H&S downpipe. Given that the car immediately started boosting to 1.8bar+ I am convinced that the cat was providing some sort of restriction. Please keep in mind that I have other mods to support the mods like intake, fuel pump, etc. I'm sure you appreciate the consequences of having no cat as mentioned above.

Don't know if this helps and please keep in mind that I am not necessarily recommending this route just providing some info. You should think very carefully about your power target before taking any route

callum
Old 15 December 2003, 02:07 PM
emilybronte
Scooby Newbie

Compshack
I was thinking about going the same way you have, though will have to wait until after Chrimbo now, as all spare cash has dwindled..
What made you choose Scoobysport over Scoobymania, who do a similar upgrade which is slightly cheaper? And have you compared the drive to a PPPed STI? Just a thought this, as I have tried the PPP which was quick but only another 35bhp for £2k sounds a bit steep even though you can keep the warranty.
Also I would like to ask RSVR of his opinion? I have followed with interest his thread on swapping turbo, injectors etc. It must have cost a fortune for this work and the results are only slightly better than the scoobysport upgrade.

thanks chaps

Emily
Old 15 December 2003, 02:24 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

AK

There is not cat in the uppie on the STI8 so no need to worry about that..

I can believe the others on the power increase claims, my 8 (since getting the de-cat downpipe fitted) feels sooo much more eager, the standard car always felt restricted and I could not see the point of a re-map, but now the engine has much more to offer..
Get it done ASAP
Old 15 December 2003, 04:42 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Emily,
I picked Scooby Sports because I had a scooby sports full de-cat and they have a good rep. I drove a STi 7 with the same mods as my Sti 8 before I bought the 8 and that blew me away with the power.

I think you'll find that Pat (who mapped my car)who works for Scooby Sports also works for Scooby Mania, small world.

RSVR has the same car as mine (from Motorpoint) I have also followed the never ending trail of the upgrade I can't imagine how much it's cost him. I have also asked his opinion on things as well. Funny when I was getting my car re-mapped the ecu reported that it was a STI Type uk. So a car from Malta (mine) has the same ecu as a UK car.
Old 15 December 2003, 05:28 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

You are quite correct Compshack the ECU is no different across Europe to the UK. Don't forget youre not just getting to 340bhp from an exhaust that you have fitted, the ECU remap will almost certainly raise boost a little.

Callum, Don't understand why your power figure is way down on where it should be with the mods you have in place, what boost is it mapped for? As for the 340 Hp claim, Scoobysport advertise this (read if you use there exhaust and have ECUTEK done with them) so as a vendor if it doesn't produce the goods you have something to go back on.

Emily, thanks for following the thread, I have indeed spent alot of money to gain 22 bhp more than a standard STi 8 with TMIC, standard VF35 turbo and ECUTEK. My car has the additional FMIC and another turbo which should have gained more than it did! The FMIC alone should have given me the 22 bhp. I am currently concentrating on getting the car to start correctly when its warm or cold. GEMS have now come up with a solution which appears to be successful. Once the car is working correctly I will concentrate on finding out what isnt working. There is no doubt that something is drastically wrong!

AK, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Conrad

[Edited by RSVR Racer - 12/15/2003 5:49:01 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 06:10 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Our conversion gives figures estimated around the 360bhp figure.

Dyno plot (with GEMS not Ecutek) on my (JDM) STi 7 gave 331 BHP at 1.35 bar.
Top end map then finished off on the road to run 1.6 bar, if you carry the figure forward, you will see that 360bhp is a reasonable estimation.

These figures *should* be achievable with Ecutek, but would need more time spending on it. We call this either the T2(G) or T2(E) kit on our website.

T3 kit is being assembled as we speak.

Mike
Scooby Mania
Old 16 December 2003, 09:56 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Old 16 December 2003, 11:09 AM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Smile

hey chaps, no worries about jacking or not jacking the thread as all replies have been great. although i'm not a technical person (who would have guessed with my question )I really appreciate the technical side of this discussion and I have understood all that has been said...very constructively.

nice one
Old 17 December 2003, 08:20 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry to butt in but if you buy our exhaust (don,t forget we made the orginal Scoobysport design ) and a Ecutek remap from PAT we will do free fitting a saving of £75 plus the vat,so you can spend it on another present for er in doors or yourself of coarse.

Ian