Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

RB5 Performance Probs

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2000, 02:37 PM
Berkeley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm not happy with the on/off performance of my car, along with stuttering acceleration; so I want to re fit the standard ECU (before PPP) to gauge differences. Is this a task that can be undertaken easily by an amateur? Advice appreciated, like where is it located, should battery be disconnected first? etc.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07 December 2000, 03:13 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Haynes (how to do it the hard way) Manuals always tell you to disconnect the battery first, even when emptying the ashtrays. Seriously though I would, you wouldn't want to short out the Prodrive (£2000ish ECU, would you) The ECU is located under a kick panel in the front passenger footwell. Lift the carpet, remove a couple of bolts and there you go. the ECU is a straight plug out/plug in job.
Old 07 December 2000, 04:47 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Berkeley,

Give Pete Croney at ScoobySport a call on 01268 590085. I have an RB5 WR which was playing up a bit on the rollers at Powerstation the other week. I was producing claimed HP of 237 but only 225LBS of torque, and the car had felt sluggish and tempremental for a couple of weeks previous. Pete put the car on a select monitor whilst I drove it about at a variety of speeds in different gears The car had retarded it's ignition map by about 3 degrees because of contaminated fuel. Once this had been flushed through with a fill up of fresh SUL and the ECU had been reset by the select monitor the problem went away and normal service was resumed

Only an idea, but it worked for me and it may save the problem of damaging the Prodrive ECU carrying out your plan.

Regards

Yex
Old 08 December 2000, 09:43 AM
Berkeley
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, I will probably do both things as a new D/P would also justify a trip to see Pete. I never new what the car was like before PPP because it was fitted during running in period. When i disconnect the battery will it screw up my alarm/immobiliser (standard Sigma unit for MY99).
Thanks.