MY00 whining gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 08:37 AM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all

I've got a MY00 with 13k miles on it. This weekend I noticed that I could hear the gearbox whirring as I slowed and sped up. This only happens at low speed as the road noise is too high other wise. The whirring/whining is very audible though. I've only just had the gearbox fixed under warranty due to a graunching fifth gear.

Anyone else experienced the gearbox noise and is it a precursor to something more dramatic?

Cheers

Taff
Old 20 November 2000, 09:39 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Taff,

I think this is a characteristic of the car.

My MY98 did this, and I kicked up a fuss to get the gearbox replaced under warranty. This was duely done, and the replacement gearbox made exactly the same sound!.

In short, don't worry about it unless it starts to get a lot worse. You still have warranty cover for another two years....

Rgds,

Alex
Old 20 November 2000, 01:59 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Taff

My WRX MY96 has had a whining gearbox/transmission for the past year. At first I was a bit worried. I checked the gearbox oil and found no metal present. Since then the noise has not got appreciably worse. In fact after a good long drive it gets much quieter. So for the time being I am putting up with it, but it is a bit irritating.

There have been more serious gearbox problems reported in this forum. You could check these out by using the search facility.

Rgds

Charles
Old 20 November 2000, 09:20 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have had the same whining sound as long as I have had the car, one year, and it hasn't gotten any better or worse...so I guess everythings allright...
Old 20 November 2000, 10:05 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Taff,

My first gearbox didn't make any such noises but the second one does, then again the second one actually works properly and is sweet so I'm not complaining

DaveW

MY99 @26k
Old 20 November 2000, 10:29 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

The main problem with the scoob box is the synchro (baulk) rings wearing causing gear crunching. I had mine repaired by a mate too solve the third and fifth crunching
and he told me that another common fault with the box are noisy bearings.Whilst stripped down he renewed the bearings (two of) and even though i couldnt here anything while driving he showed me the old bearings and they were becoming worn.A noisy bearing isnt normally a major problem just a pain in the ar*e ! Even more so on a new car!
Old 21 November 2000, 01:45 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

I think its getting worse. I actually have to turn the radio up to hear it (I haven't got an aftermarket exhaust )

There doesn't seem to be any change in performance as yet but it is still annoying - even more so as I'm one of the mugs who paid full UK list price for the car.

I'll have to see how it goes - if the bearings are wearing after only 12-13k miles then that's well poor.

As long as the whole lot doesn't seize mid corner....