Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ProDrive Settings

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2000, 08:47 AM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry if this is an old subject but I'm new to this!

My car is MY99 - standard- and I have heard of instances of the steering geometry not being correct on this MY.

Have heard mention of standard and ProDrive setting for steering geometry.

What are or where do I get Prodrive settings.

Thanks
Murray53
Old 17 November 2000, 09:05 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Red face

Whoops, I didn't mean to worry you about your steering geometery!!!

Anyway, the Prodrive settings on the front wheels are 1mm toe in, and up to 1 degree of negative camber.

On the rear, it's 1mm of toe in, and the camber is not adjustable.

There have been stories of these settings causing uneven tyre wear if lot's of motorway driving is done. It's suppose to wear on the inner shoulder, but I've yet to see it. Last car I did 26,000 miles on the settings (mostly motorway), and the front tyres were evenly worn. My current car I've done 7,000 miles (about half are motorway miles) and again, everything seems fine.

My local Subaru dealer did this for me, and suggested that if I did a lot of motorway driving to go for between 0.5 to 0.7 degrees of negative camber. I trust him, so left him to set it to 0.7 degrees.

I'm sure some of the guys up your way could point you in the right direction, failing that..... maybe try speaking to you dealer!

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 17 November 2000, 04:59 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I must be doing something wrong! I'm lucky to get 7000 miles out of a set of tyres! Or is that 7000 smiles? LOL

FWIW the rear camber IS adjustable, but not easily, and it's a pig of a job to do, BUT it can be done. It's worth sorting if there is a large discrepancy between the two sides. I think Micheldever can do this....

I've tried all sorts of geometries, I'm still testing things (well, when the car runs!). So far, the most fun was had with 50 minutes total toe in front and rear. It was like the car was literally glued to the road, absolutely unshakeable! Didn't do the tyres any favours at all, but they were in need of replacement anyway :-)

For spirited driving, 16 minutes total toe in on the fronts with 1 degree 30 minutes negative camber, and 10 minutes total toe in on the rear with as much negative camber as possible seems to produce a well balanced setup; BUT this is with Leda suspension, Powerflex bushes up front and STi linkages on the rear, running 22mm wider track on the front and 14mm wider track on the rear [will try 22mm again on the rear, after I sort the arch contact problem :-)]

Hope this helps,

Pat.