Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Top-speed scooby limited? Yes, my99/00 ECU reduces turbo-boost!

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2000, 11:36 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top speed of my99/00 is limited: when speedo is reaching 245 km/h (plm 153 mph), the ECU takes down turbo-boost, the car doesn’t go faster much more, if so it’s because of favourable road & wind/weather circumstances.

On my scoob is a device that passes this restriction. It’s the same device that’s used by BMW & Merc (big ones) owners to pass the 250 km/h limit on their cars. Simply saying, as was told me, it ‘cuts’ the speedo-to-ECU signal, and ECU keeps boost up.
This Vmax-module is prepared for scoobys by EMS, a dutch chiptuner.
[Almost all scoobs in Holland that are chip-tuned have an EMS-chip, something different than the Vmax-mod!, because it has at least the performance of the Prodrive-performance-kit and it’s much cheaper].

Since fitting this Vmax-module my scoob-99 is going faster, although just a bit: before the module it did ‘speedo’ 245-250 (153-158 mph), but never higher, after fitting scoob will reach speedo 255-260 km/u (160-164) and sometimes a bit faser depending on circumstances as called before (also other wheels/tires gives a bit different numbers).
A mate, also with my99, never came above 245, and now also gets 255-260.

I’m not sure if this module is also working for MY97/98; but it’s of no sence for MY96 and before, because of the different/bigger turbo & ECU that was used then.
I heard scooby-drivers with MY96 who did run their scoob complete “out of speedo” (265+ km/h) on german Autobahn.

Another question is of course the use of it…; even on the Autobahn speeds above 220-230 km/u are ‘not-common’ in normal traffic, but when you are out of business-time and on some quiet sections it is fun to say goodbye to that big Mercs, Beamers en Audis , unless they have the same device…

Geert (…living just a few minutes from Autobahn…)
Old 22 October 2000, 01:32 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Geert, are you saying that our UK cars are restricted? I don't think mine is as I've had it off the clock a couple of times, reading about 165mph, I guess. Didn't get a chance to check the revs! (MY00 UK, plus Prodrive Performance Pack, standard wheels and tyres). Or then again, perhaps the PPP chip removes any limiter. Anyone know? Judging by the speedo check figures quoted on the SIDC site, I reckon that's a true 155mph or thereabouts.

Of course, the speeds I'm quoting were achieved at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground and the fact that I live within sight of perhaps the fastest stretch of road anywhere in Europe is pure coincidence (A1M between Alconberry and Stilton, near Peterborough).

Incidently, it was here that Max Power magazine chose to speed test a mad Jap guy's "1,000bhp" Skyline to get 200mph. They failed. He only managed 194mph and spent the night in the nick! Quite a funny story (allegedly). But it's time for bed - early start for the F1 GP an' all!

Hoppy

PS I like the pics of your silver car with P1 wheels. I take back everything I said about anthracite wheels simply looking dirty with brake dust!
Old 22 October 2000, 02:42 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

Hi Hoppy,

I don't know sure about standard UK-cars, but I guess they have the same engine/ECU than lefthanded-cars overhere mainland Europe...??

Overhere in Holland there was also some diskussion about this topspeed restriction; indeed there are my99/00's that did/do speedo 260 without anything changed.
But I think performance-differences between different cars with the same standard engine are very usual/normal, also in top-speed. Also, much differences because of road/weather conditions, they are so important with high speeds...

I just saw on my car the difference, plm 10-15 km/h with the Vmax mod, and know from two orther cars.
And we did test it on the same day: Autobahn - fit the mod - back to Autobahn: topspeed +10km/h. {Revs 6100-6200 at 255-260)
Another scooby with boost-gauge rapported boost going down to 0.6 bar at 245 km/h.
It will be nice to collect some more numbers...

The 'normal' chip-tuning has nothing to do with this mod; I don't think PPP-chip removes any limiter; meaby you start a topic: "Prodrive PP - Question for Mike Wood"? ;-)

What about "Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground", is it public road? You can test topspeed overthere? Legal? What are best times to visit?
Meaby your car profited from that special track? You clocked 165mph both ways?

grt Geert

PS thanks for the compliments about the P1's; next week, I hope, even more nice with the 17" AP-brakes!
Old 23 October 2000, 01:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Geert, hello. I'm sure Mike Wood has the answer but I'm not going to start another thread just yet. Mike's been very helpful to me both on this board and by e-mail and I don't want to test his patience! It's an interesting question though. Anyone else know if UK Scoobs have restricted top speed?

Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground is a rather splendid sounding name for what is basically just a large open space in the Midlands. It's nothing like nearby MIRA which has every imaginable test facility. Bruntingthorpe is an old airfield, and used by many of the UK car and bike magazines for speed testing. There's a long straight where they can do 200mph or more. A Kawasaki Turbo (300bhp?) has topped 220mph, I believe. If you try this at MIRA, the timing lights are so far down the straight that you can't stop safely!

Also, Simon de Webmaster also seems to have had a jolly there, with a few selected mates, over the weekend. Slip slidin' away, and all that. Thanks for the invite, Si!

Hoppy
Old 23 October 2000, 02:09 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Speed limiters are fitted to Japanese WRX's, there are kits for removing them.

See
Old 23 October 2000, 05:48 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

When my UK MY00 Scooby hit just over the 160 mph, the rev counter was hitting 7200 rpm. I wonder what speed I was really doing?
BTW 7200= PossumLink. My last PE Phase 1 MY98 would only rev to 7000.

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 23 October 2000).]
Old 24 October 2000, 02:03 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Charlie

Scoobysport also sell delimiters but these raise the max speed beyond the Japanese limit of 112mph (180kmh).

I suspect that Geert has had the equivelent of a superchip fitted, which is generating more boost at higher revs, and hence more power.

If the cars were limited to 155mph, this would cut in at an indicated 155 as the ECU reads speed from information used by the speedo unit. I have seen up to 10mph more than this from UK and imported cars, on cross Europe runs.