Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

The Most Powerful Exhaust Available??

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2000, 12:47 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am looking to change the exhaust system on my MY00 UK and I am going to make my decision purely on the system which is going to give me the most power gain (with a Link ECU in the future), so what is the opinion, Scoobysport, Power engineering, BPM, HKS, Blitz ????
Old 04 October 2000, 04:41 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Jake,

take care - a combination that will give you ultimate power gain may be crap on the road.

For example a full BPM twin dump/HKS Hiper may give you the most gain in absolute terms (i.e. at 7,000rpm plus) you may lose a lot below 4-5,000rpm which is good for driving on the road.

It may well be that a SS pipe with a HKS or SS backbox may give you the most driveable, albeit sacrificing ultimate power gain of 3bhp at max revs.

Bottow line - is it for track or road - of the former then go big, if latter then accept the comprimise of better road performance.

Cheers,

R
Old 04 October 2000, 05:03 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Jake,

I would definately say the HKS Hiper Muffler no question. As Rannoch says it may depend on whther you want low end torque/driveability or top end power. The hiper is an excellent system which doesn't make the car undriveable by any means. Unlike most other systems it doesn't follow the original exhausts contours rather takes the straightest route possible. Personally I would say go with the Hiper and the HKS downpipe. I had this combo and it was great for power, but I ended up swapping the Hiper for the HKS SuperDrager as it was quieter!

Regards,
Nito
Old 04 October 2000, 05:13 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Its mainly for road use, but if get the HKS super dragger and get a SS or HKS D/P will i be able to bolt back my centre cat for MOT time as changing the D/P is a pain the @rse if not does that mean i have to bolt back the original back box and centre????

Jake
Old 04 October 2000, 07:24 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Jake,

The HKS system will bolt on to almost any downpipe but not centre pipes. In any case the car won't pass the MOT with just the centre pipe although it does (apparently) with just the frontpipe.

Any de cat system you buy therefore will require the front cat to pass the mot.

Regards,
Nito
Old 04 October 2000, 07:47 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not wishing to re-open old discussions, but, I have been told about UK cars that have passed the MOT with the center cat in only. This is provided that the car has been on a full temp run and then tested shortly after. Most MOT centers don't leave you waiting around.

This is a very contentious subject! Some say yay some say neigh. No harm in trying.

And don't leave the MOT to the last minute. That way you can try with just the center and if it fails you can go back the next week with the catted d/p.

Suit on and ready.

P.
Old 04 October 2000, 08:54 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Sith,

I was under the impression the hot test was with the front cat in place. Apparently the second cat is only fitted on new cars because emission laws are more stringent for new cars than the mot, ie they are tested cold or something to this effect to meet emissions regulations.

I think you may find that the tests you refer to are with just the one cat- the front one, but I'm prepared to be corrected if someone has passed an MOT with just the secondary cat!!

Regards
Nito

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2000, 08:56 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Jake,
If you are looking at pure power then give Pete a call at ScoobySport. He is running a fully decatted system and equal length manifolds. It all gets linked this weekend.
I believe Pete will be at the Kent rally as well if you are going.
As for exhaust design, 2.5" gives more torque but 3" gives more bhp.
You choice to match your driving style.
Old 04 October 2000, 11:11 PM
PLUTO
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I have a stainless system on mine from ggr with a sports cat in the down pipe.Made hell of a difference and im told it will also go through all emissions tests.
Old 05 October 2000, 01:44 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Best performing exhaust on a UK car on the rollers is a Scorpion, like the one fitted to my car.

Stef.
Old 06 October 2000, 10:09 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stef,

Why doesnt that surprise me!!
Old 06 October 2000, 05:05 PM
Martin Stirling
Scooby Regular

I realise that it is a different car, but I have just had a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust with Magnex Cat replacement pipe fitted to my Evo VI and it's great. Full stainless steel system, with a removable silencer for trackdays, and the cat pipe can easily be replaced to pass your MOT. Power gains and throttle response are excellent (quoted about 10-12bhp for Evo VI) and it produces a lovely sound which is unobtrusive on the motorway. Also looks nice too..

Cheers,
MS.
(Recommend the Blitz induction kit too, best available so they say!)
Old 06 October 2000, 11:51 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I think i am going for the Blitz full system only problem is i dont think its compatible with the cat pipe so it means keeping the original down pipe and swapping it over for mot time.
Old 07 October 2000, 05:17 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I agree with Stef.

Mr Leigh
Stinging Scorpians.
Old 07 October 2000, 05:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

What's with this most powerful stuff? - the full SS system from turbo back sounds GGRREEEAAAATTT and turns loadsa heads - or am I missing something hee hee
Old 08 October 2000, 10:03 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

.....as we always discuss, rollers do not represent the real world, so........
Old 08 October 2000, 11:33 AM
paul & bad jac
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jake:
<B>I am looking to change the exhaust system on my MY00 UK and I am going to make my decision purely on the system which is going to give me the most power gain (with a Link ECU in the future), so what is the opinion, Scoobysport, Power engineering, BPM, HKS, Blitz ????[/quote]just fitted power enginering T75 back box with standard centr cat and their twin dump front pipe (dont ask about the middle bit) on my98. went for that because of looks, twin 3" exit and aircraft quality build. its made by a company in woking who made the exhausts for the McClaren road cars. So good build and performance aside dyno tested at 246bhp on completely standard car, and emmisions are correct. sound is deep and meaningful and torque is right through the rev range .As previously quoted its as if someones been holding on to the back bumper and just let go

Check it out they know their stuff.
Paul.
Old 08 October 2000, 10:10 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Wink

Martin (S),

sorry, I thought I just read you saying that an Evo sounded good...

You just know this is the one remaining advantage that the Evo will never take from the Scoob - take that sound and can it!

R
Old 09 October 2000, 12:07 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sunil.
OK then...my Scorpion equipped car is also unofficially the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile non-chipped UK car in the country! Is that 'real world' enough for you?

Stef.
Old 09 October 2000, 01:48 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Question

So let me get this right if you fit PE's twin dump D/P and T75 Back box plus there centre section you can refit the standard centre/cat pipe and be emissions legal???.
Old 11 October 2000, 01:48 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Jake.
If you refit a standard (UK) centre section into any catless system (if possible) you should be emmissions legal.
I tested it on my car and I was.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 11 October 2000).]
Old 11 October 2000, 06:52 PM
paul & bad jac
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jake:
<B>So let me get this right if you fit PE's twin dump D/P and T75 Back box plus there centre section you can refit the standard centre/cat pipe and be emissions legal???.[/quote]Hi Jake, thats what the Dyno at power engineering read, i was in the passenger seat at the time on the run. Ideally i will fit their sports cat center section when funds permit but at least if your not cash rich what ever part you choose matches the standard system. I looked for ever at your exact problem, but the bhp figures match their claims and so does the build quality.
Good luck but take your time its alot money to spend!!!!
Paul.

Old 11 October 2000, 07:41 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

erm, never been chipped
Old 12 October 2000, 04:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

NITO,
can vouch for the Hiper, tis, as you well know, what is fitted to my beasty. I can also vouch to it being of the rather loud type, good for scaring ol folk though!